Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 29 2014, 01:41 AM   #16
geneo
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek 3: Classic Trek or original story?

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
ST3 = reboot of Treks II & VI (again).

set after the Enterprises 5 year mission. an augment worshipping nut wakes up a furious Khan (like the engineer in Prometheus) and he breaks out of Area 51 with some of his followers (most are killed in the escape) hijacks science ship Reliant which is running tests on the new Genesis device (constructed by Carol Marcus) and plots revenge on the Federation (& Kirk/Spock)

meanwhile the klingons have been plotting an invasion of the federation after the khanage in STID, led by the sinister Colonel Chang and the brutal Captain Kruge

so itd be kirk vs khan vs klingons = total Khanage!

title = 'Star Trek Vengeance of Khan'

*Guest stars- Bryan Cranston as Chang, Gerard Butler as Kruge, Gary Oldman as Gorkon, Jason Moma as Lt Worf, Taylor Kitch as Joachim.
*Cameos- Arnold Schwarzenegger - Klingon Emperor, Harrison Ford - Head of Starfleet, Scott Bakula - Captain Archer, Brent Spiner - Dr Arik Soong, Patrick Stewart - Picards ancestor, Leonard Nimoy - Old Spock (surprise!) & William Shatner - Old Kirk(big surprise!)
Why not use the old Worf and Col. Chang. They are young enough to play their same roles. Don't forget Admiral Janeway and maybe Seven.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 02:05 AM   #17
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Ugh, not again. In theory this could work well, but I'm not confident that these guys even want to pull it off.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 02:18 AM   #18
Lance
Commodore

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Ugh, there's no point in doing a reboot if you're just going to recycle stories. ST09 was fun because it took classic Trek on a new adventure. ST12 chickened out. It's like Abrams took one step forward, one step back.
^ This.

I'm conflicted though. I liked STiD, I felt it had a gripping storyline in places, some excellent performances from the entire cast, and a healthy sense of confidence that I thought the 2009 movie lacked. But on the other hand, I absolutely thought they wasted the potential that the 2009 movie set-up. The 2009 movie left me feeling like this was a bold new version of Star Trek that could literally go anywhere, I had a huge sense of anticipation about where the franchise could go next. StiD however just left me feeling like it was running on the spot, unable to move forward. That both movies effectively end with the exact same scene speaks volumes to me.

On the whole I actually *prefer* STiD to the 2009 movie, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little disappointed that they wasn't more bold in some of the choices they made.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 02:24 AM   #19
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
Ugh, there's no point in doing a reboot if you're just going to recycle stories. ST09 was fun because it took classic Trek on a new adventure. ST12 chickened out. It's like Abrams took one step forward, one step back.
^ This.

I'm conflicted though. I liked STiD, I felt it had a gripping storyline in places, some excellent performances from the entire cast, and a healthy sense of confidence that I thought the 2009 movie lacked. But on the other hand, I absolutely thought they wasted the potential that the 2009 movie set-up. The 2009 movie left me feeling like this was a bold new version of Star Trek that could literally go anywhere, I had a huge sense of anticipation about where the franchise could go next. StiD however just left me feeling like it was running on the spot, unable to move forward. That both movies effectively end with the exact same scene speaks volumes to me.

On the whole I actually *prefer* STiD to the 2009 movie, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little disappointed that they wasn't more bold in some of the choices they made.
I feel largely the same way. STiD in my opinion is a decent movie, but it seemed more like an investment by playing it safe rather than risking a bold endeavor; not only did they bring back an old villain, but a good chunk of the action is on Earth. ST09 started off with an emotionally wrenching sequence, blew up Vulcan -- VULCAN! -- and, the largest change of all, recast roles when it was considered sacrilege. Of course, those aren't the only reasons why ST09 succeeded, but they really gave the sense that Trek was in largely unexplored narrative territory for the first time in a long time.

I do certainly hope that III follows up on Kirk's promise that they are indeed embarking on a 5 year mission of deep space exploration. STiD turned them into space cops, which we've seen enough on TV.
Old January 29 2014, 10:54 AM   #20
Khan 2.0
Captain

geneo wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
ST3 = reboot of Treks II & VI (again).

set after the Enterprises 5 year mission. an augment worshipping nut wakes up a furious Khan (like the engineer in Prometheus) and he breaks out of Area 51 with some of his followers (most are killed in the escape) hijacks science ship Reliant which is running tests on the new Genesis device (constructed by Carol Marcus) and plots revenge on the Federation (& Kirk/Spock)

meanwhile the klingons have been plotting an invasion of the federation after the khanage in STID, led by the sinister Colonel Chang and the brutal Captain Kruge

so itd be kirk vs khan vs klingons = total Khanage!

title = 'Star Trek Vengeance of Khan'

*Guest stars- Bryan Cranston as Chang, Gerard Butler as Kruge, Gary Oldman as Gorkon, Jason Moma as Lt Worf, Taylor Kitch as Joachim.
*Cameos- Arnold Schwarzenegger - Klingon Emperor, Harrison Ford - Head of Starfleet, Scott Bakula - Captain Archer, Brent Spiner - Dr Arik Soong, Patrick Stewart - Picards ancestor, Leonard Nimoy - Old Spock (surprise!) & William Shatner - Old Kirk(big surprise!)
Why not use the old Worf and Col. Chang. They are young enough to play their same roles. Don't forget Admiral Janeway and maybe Seven.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 10:58 AM   #21
Khan 2.0
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
^ This.

maybe STID was similar in that respect to Quantum of Solace...by the end you sort of realise Bond was at the same point as at the end of CR.
Old January 29 2014, 12:02 PM   #22
shivkala
Rear Admiral

It would be nice if it were like The Voyage Home in that it didn't feature a villain, per se, but rather presented the crew with a problem that everyone needed to contribute to solving according to their skills. I'm not saying it has to be whales or even time travel, but I think TVH resonates with so many people because of the humor, of course, the novelty of seeing the crew in a modern setting, but even moreso, everyone had a role to play which was pretty much in-line with their character, and everyone got the spotlight for at least a little while.

They needed something to hold the whales, so Scotty got to show off his engineering skills and knowledge (not to mention playing his usual role of being the guy to yell about the problems with the ship. Sulu, the pilot, got to pilot the helicoptor (maybe not the strongest role for him, but I'd argue it gave him more to do than TWoK and TSfS did, character-wise (and, if I recall, originally, the story focused a bit on his ancestry in San Francisco). Chekov, the security officer, got to infiltrate a "nuclear wessel" along with Uhura (who, again, like Sulu didn't get a lot to do, but moreso than some of the previous movies gave her). Of course, McCoy got to save the patient (Chekov), Spock got to be Spock, and well, Kirk, got to be the lead.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I could go with another Guardian of Forever.
You'll have to get past Harlan Ellison first.
Old January 29 2014, 08:20 PM   #24
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Or ask him nicely first, anyway.

And bring money.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 08:53 PM   #25
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Or ask him nicely first, anyway.

And bring money.
Yea, people like to act as if Harlan Ellison is a total ogre and unwilling to work with someone.

He's got no problem (that I'm aware of) with his stuff being adapted, it's his stuffed being used without permission or accredidation he has a problem with, just like any artist

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 12:49 AM   #26
Khan 2.0
Captain

Smellmet wrote: View Post
Do you know what? I wouldn't have a problem with that one bit
although it was abit of a fun story now i think about it neither would I..

Gorkon/Worf could oppose Chang/kruge.

khan would be full on 'wrath of khan' khan out for revenge

everything more 'ST Movie' looking in regard to the uniforms, sets, ships, mushroom spacedock etc as itd be set 5 years plus after STID

plus plenty off cameos for the 50th:

Bakula/Spiner as Archer/Soong in an 22nd century Augment opening, or library footage that kirk spock check out to help with khan(maybe even on a holodeck sim to These are the Voyages.. fooling the audience type thing) maybe Spiner as the nut who wakes up Khan (as Arik or Noonian Soong)

Stewart as grandfather Picard (see Generations Picard/Troi scene for potential profession)

Nimoy in something more than phoneaSpock duty. returns to his home timeline?

and Shatner in a fanpleasing end cameo as old Pine Kirk (not Prime Kirk) maybe with old Quinto Spock (something like Cloud Atlas)

Last edited by Khan 2.0; January 30 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old February 1 2014, 03:07 PM   #27
Khan 2.0
Captain

maybe it be too soon to bring khan back (maybe they could do it in 4)...but that..being..said dont forget B Cumberbatch is becoming quite a big star (the new wave of stars Hiddleson, Hemsworth etc) so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to use him again for 3 to help the box office (and maybe before he gets too big and expensive )
Old February 5 2014, 05:14 PM   #28
anh165
Commander

Worf?
Picard?
Data?

Pass!
Old February 5 2014, 06:57 PM   #29
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

I want to see the novel The Galactic Whirlpool made into a movie.
Shaka Zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 07:53 PM   #30
urbandefault
Captain

How about this?

The Enterprise is sent to investigate the explosion of the Veridian star. On the way there they encounter a strange energy ribbon in space. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy take a shuttle to get a closer look and when the shuttle starts to break up, they try to beam out only to be sucked into the Nexus. There they encounter Kirk Prime's "echo" chopping wood, and he tells them about an officer from the future who talked him into leaving the Nexus to apprehend a galactic criminal.

They leave Echo Kirk with his Ktarian eggs. The Big Three then travel to Veridian III, where they witness Picard defeating Soran, and just in the nick of time, save Kirk Prime from being crushed by the bridge.

Contrivances? Sure. Plot holes? Plenty, thanks. But ... "it sounds like fun."