RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,160
Posts: 5,344,225
Members: 24,600
Currently online: 668
Newest member: Lord Galen

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 5 2014, 03:11 PM   #16
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

This makes me very happy.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

You can watch an episode titled "Moonroock" for free here: http://shop.warnerarchive.com/jump.d...f=EWACTMACHINE

Wow! And some say Star Trek was sexist! A very Bondian feel to this.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?

Last edited by Warped9; February 21 2014 at 09:09 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 10:33 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

Warped9 wrote: View Post
You can watch an episode titled "Moonroock" for free here: http://shop.warnerarchive.com/jump.d...f=EWACTMACHINE

Wow! And some say Star Trek was sexist! A very Bondian feel to this.
Yeah... On the one hand, the storytelling and characterization are very dated -- a Bond carbon copy, as you say. But on the other hand, the technology is remarkably modern, the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a present-day story -- constant video monitoring, constant communication with a technical support team, implanted comm receiver and dental transmitter, it all feels very modern. I like that part of it, but I really don't like the smarmy Bond-wannabe lead. Hopefully the other two rotating leads would be more appealing.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 11:39 PM   #19
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

The technical parts make me think of the Bourne films.

The concept of this kind of technical backup and instant communication with the agent in the field is very cool. Imagine this idea in conjunction with something like the Six Million Dollar Man. Indeed the SMDM is of the same era yet doesn't feel as socially dated. Steve Austin is a genuine gentlemen compared to Hugh Lockwood.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 11:53 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

By the way, that Miss Keach at Probe Control is exquisite. I would've liked to see more of her and less of Mulligan.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
The concept of this kind of technical backup and instant communication with the agent in the field is very cool. Imagine this idea in conjunction with something like the Six Million Dollar Man.
Yeah, they could've easily enough included a transmitter in the bionic eye.

Although what I find surprising about 6M$M in my recent revisit (up through the end of season 2, since that's all Netflix has) is how infrequently it actually shows Steve going on official government missions. A lot of the time he's just conducting scientific research or helping out a friend or stumbling across a crisis. There's one stretch where he goes on three vacations in the course of four episodes. And he tends to be a fairly reluctant secret agent, preferring to go his own way rather than just follow orders, so I don't think he would've appreciated being constantly monitored.


Indeed the SMDM is of the same era yet doesn't feel as socially dated. Steve Austin is a genuine gentlemen compared to Hugh Lockwood.
Well, relatively. He was as much a womanizer as any '70s action hero, and he did have "old-fashioned" views about a woman's place that he wasn't afraid to acknowledge in "The Pal-Mir Escort." But I'll agree he wasn't as obnoxious about the womanizing as Lockwood. Well, except in the two Glen Larson-produced pilot movies, which tried to turn Steve into James Bond and gave him some of the most sophomoric sexual innuendoes in action-hero history, like "Sorry I had to violate your porthole."
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 02:23 AM   #21
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

Christopher wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
You can watch an episode titled "Moonroock" for free here: http://shop.warnerarchive.com/jump.d...f=EWACTMACHINE

Wow! And some say Star Trek was sexist! A very Bondian feel to this.
Yeah... On the one hand, the storytelling and characterization are very dated -- a Bond carbon copy, as you say. But on the other hand, the technology is remarkably modern, the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a present-day story -- constant video monitoring, constant communication with a technical support team, implanted comm receiver and dental transmitter, it all feels very modern. I like that part of it, but I really don't like the smarmy Bond-wannabe lead. Hopefully the other two rotating leads would be more appealing.
From what I remember, Doug McClure came across the best of the three leads. They tried to keep all three in the same mold, but McClure had a charm to him where he didn't seem as bad as the other two.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 03:01 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

^Sounds like it might've been the same kind of deal as Maverick, where the scripts were written generically so that they could be assigned to either of the alternating lead actors as convenient, and only the actors' performances differentiated the characters.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 03:15 AM   #23
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

I'm wondering if maybe this show is something that really engaged me as a youth, but mightn't bear close scrutiny in a revisit. A couple of years ago I revisited the first two seasons of the Six Million Dollar Man and I was struck by how much of it still worked. The only things I felt really dated it were the fashions of dress and sometimes the pacing. Otherwise mostly all good.

As Christopher has mentioned upthread you're best to just skip the two telefilms that followed the pilot before the series---just horrible. The original pilot film, though, is quite good.


Several years ago there was a series called Now And Again with Eric Close, Dennis Haysbert and Margaret Colin that was something of a SMDM reboot. It started out promisingly then petered out in lacklustre fashion. Too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG4fRkQO0O4
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?

Last edited by Warped9; February 22 2014 at 03:44 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 10:53 PM   #24
Mistral
Vice Admiral
 
Mistral's Avatar
 
Location: Between the candle and the flame
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Back in the '70s I used to have a copy of that very book. I can't for the life of me recall what happened to it.
It probably got tossed into the same box as your Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp lunchbox and your Evil Knievel action figure.
__________________
...sf fandom is only a personality disorder if you do it right.-Klaus
http://www.adastrafanfic.com - archive stories! www.4rumboys.com for honest gaming

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 12:48 AM   #25
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

Mistral wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Back in the '70s I used to have a copy of that very book. I can't for the life of me recall what happened to it.
It probably got tossed into the same box as your Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp lunchbox and your Evil Knievel action figure.
Some things are better off left in the 70s.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 06:20 AM   #26
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

Hey, I have the Lancelot Link band's album on my iPod.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 05:20 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

You know what show would really have benefitted from adopting this show's approach? Star Trek: TNG. I mean, Bob Justman did produce it, so he could've brought this concept in. Really, it makes sense. Instead of having the away team out of contact with the ship except when they call in on an audio device, you should have them under constant audio and video monitoring from the bridge, with the captain and bridge crew directly supervising them just like Cam and the support team here. Heck, I had that idea myself back in the '80s -- the starship I designed for my planned original SF included a large mission-ops facility behind the bridge which would be constantly monitoring everything the survey teams did and providing expertise as needed. I'd never seen Search at that point, but what I envisioned was uncannily like this, albeit on a larger scale.

And you know what? That made me realize something. Search came out in 1972, while the Apollo Lunar missions were ongoing (as the sample episode makes clear). So TV audiences would've spent years watching NASA Mission Control supervising the astronauts every step of the way. That's what inspired my "mission ops center" idea over 15 years later, and I bet it's what directly inspired this series at the time. Leslie Stevens may have looked at what Mission Control was doing and thought, "What if we did that, but for spy/adventure stories on Earth?"

It's a shame (for quite a few reasons) that the space program subsided from the public consciousness to the point that when TNG and its successors came along, they adopted a far more antiquated model of team supervision.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 07:03 PM   #28
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

Christopher wrote: View Post
You know what show would really have benefitted from adopting this show's approach? Star Trek: TNG. I mean, Bob Justman did produce it, so he could've brought this concept in. Really, it makes sense. Instead of having the away team out of contact with the ship except when they call in on an audio device, you should have them under constant audio and video monitoring from the bridge, with the captain and bridge crew directly supervising them just like Cam and the support team here. Heck, I had that idea myself back in the '80s -- the starship I designed for my planned original SF included a large mission-ops facility behind the bridge which would be constantly monitoring everything the survey teams did and providing expertise as needed. I'd never seen Search at that point, but what I envisioned was uncannily like this, albeit on a larger scale.

And you know what? That made me realize something. Search came out in 1972, while the Apollo Lunar missions were ongoing (as the sample episode makes clear). So TV audiences would've spent years watching NASA Mission Control supervising the astronauts every step of the way. That's what inspired my "mission ops center" idea over 15 years later, and I bet it's what directly inspired this series at the time. Leslie Stevens may have looked at what Mission Control was doing and thought, "What if we did that, but for spy/adventure stories on Earth?"

It's a shame (for quite a few reasons) that the space program subsided from the public consciousness to the point that when TNG and its successors came along, they adopted a far more antiquated model of team supervision.
This is a good point and it is something I've seen used in some SF novels (although their names escape me for the moment).
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 01:53 AM   #29
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

Search is now available through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Search-The-Com.../dp/B00I9BU2IC
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 03:10 AM   #30
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: SEARCH '70s television series....

I just finished watching Probe, the film-for-TV pilot for the series that would be called Search.

Overall I rate it a 3 out of 5 even though I quite enjoyed watching it.

First off it's quite a product of its era, the early '70s. That's not meant as a slam. I mean that in the sense of how the story is told. I would have appreciated more variety in the scoring because hearing the same theme music used so often got to be somewhat tiresome.

The transfer on the DVD is quite good---thankfully because there is no Blu-Ray option available (same for the series set for which I'm awaiting delivery).

Conceptually thie idea behind this is fascinating and truly way ahead of its time. It would be perfectly suitable today, but back in the early '70s it was pure science fiction that a field agent could have anudio implant, dental implant signaling device and a portable miniaturized camera/scanner that could also read body functions not only of the agent but of others nearby, much like a Star Trek tricorder reading life signs.

The other neat twist is that the agent doesn't work for the government, but for a securities agency that recovers lost or stolen items and people. Something of a very high-tech insurance recovery operation.

Most of the writing isn't bad even if largely straightforward. There is something of a Bondian sensibilitity which is most apparent in the performance of Hugh O'Brian as PROBE agent Hugh Lockwood. He depicts something of an Americanized Bond impersonation but without the smooth delivery of Sean Connery or Roger Moore. O'Brian is just a touch too broad and overdone for my taste. He makes me think of how a bit too smarmy Wil Riker could be in early TNG. This is also emphasized by a script that can be a bit dodgy and stilted at time.

It's still rather entertaining, but the ending is a bit anti-climactic. It makes sense but it's quite lowkey.

I remember this being quite entertaining back when I was 13, but it's just a touch underwhelming forty years later.

Yep, a 3 out of 5, but I love the concept. I'm still looking forward to the series.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.