Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Who is the one for Harry Kim?
Libby Webber (fiancée before Voyager left) 7 25.93%
Lindesey Ballard (dead ensign, "Ashes to Ashes") 5 18.52%
Maggie O'Halloran (hologram, "Fair Haven") 1 3.70%
Delaney sisters (mentioned on occasion) 0 0%
Seven of Nine 2 7.41%
Marayna (hologram, "Alter Ego") 0 0%
Derran Tal (alien, "The Disease") 2 7.41%
Linnis Paris (Kes and Tom's "daughter" in alt. timeline, "Before and After") 1 3.70%
He actually lusted over BFF Tom Paris this whole time 4 14.81%
He is destined to be alone 3 11.11%
He secretly lusted after B'Elanna/Janeway misc weird pairings 0 0%
None of the above 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 29 2014, 01:23 AM   #16
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: Who's the best girl for Harry Kim? If there is one...

I voted "Lindsey Ballard (dead ensign, "Ashes to Ashes")"

I liked her character, like that episode and thought they made the best couple.
Old January 29 2014, 05:04 AM   #17
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Libby.
Keeping her in his heart would have given him a little depth.
It would have made him look better wanting to get home to her, than his parents.
Old January 29 2014, 05:23 AM   #18
teacock
Admiral

But then he would have been all emo about Libby and whenever it was time to give him depth and that would have been tedious.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 06:32 AM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If he was really into Libby, and wasn't guilty about cheating on his finance on Voyager, even if his definition of cheating is dating a whole bunch of women who wouldn't go on a second date with the lonely ensign... Harry should have spent the day burying his bone and never found out about his experimental shuttle or the failure Tom had become or the poor fate of Daniel Byrd, if Libby's willing and inviting body held any interest for him.

If it wasn't for his aptitude with Deran Tal in the Disease, I'd argue homosexuality that he was in denial and subconsciously choosing unobtainable women so that he'd never have to see a vagina while still being statistically boring with his orientation.

Please note that Derran was a liar pretending to like him and enjoy their naked time together who was only using Harry for his command codes, which means that this insincere huckster should have been unobtainable if she wasn't a user on an evil seditious mission dup this patsy, and Tal would have obviously rejected him just like every other woman if he had been hitting on her on a level playing field because their relationship was horribly illegal and would probably put her in jail for years.

Hell, Kim might have even tried to run like he did with Seven, but she needed those command codes, so Harry was not allowed to run away far or with any success or her people would stay sorta enslaved and her mission would have failed.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 11:01 AM   #20
teacock
Admiral

But why is Harry so rejectable? I look at Harry and I see a good looking, friendly, only slightly socially inept from shyness but hardly a deal breaking ineptness, nice guy without the icky parts of nice guy, playful kind of fellow. Is everyone else on VOY so incredibly hot that they are looking for a hero rather than an ensign?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 29 2014, 11:07 AM   #21
Infern0
Captain

Him and Kes would have made the most sense
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Infern0
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
But why is Harry so rejectable? I look at Harry and I see a good looking, friendly, only slightly socially inept from shyness but hardly a deal breaking ineptness, nice guy without the icky parts of nice guy, playful kind of fellow. Is everyone else on VOY so incredibly hot that they are looking for a hero rather than an ensign?
Harry suffers from nice guy syndrome. He's an attractive young guy and is very nice, but he's boring and bland.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 11:16 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Rocky Horror's Brad Majors was on Cougar Town earlier this evening, where he said of pan like Bobby Cobb: "I've always suspected that he is a teenager who made a wish at a carnival to be BIG."

Harry is a child in a man's body.

Garret is probably a man, even then in the 90s when he was only almost 30 pretending that he was 21.

Garrett was 33 when the show finished yet his character still seemed tied to Katey's apron strings.

Old January 29 2014, 11:17 AM   #24
teacock
Admiral

Well I don't agree. I think he is sweet and not specifically "boring and bland". He's playful, he likes to hang out, he likes to poke fun conversationally at people (as I recall anyway, and yes this may be mostly Tom's doing). He's up for a laugh. Boring and bland is Geordi La Forge. The only time I didn't like Harry was when he sassed the Captain with his horribly cringeworthy "have you every been in love?" speech which is really his gazelle scene for me.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 29 2014, 11:31 AM   #25
teacock
Admiral

Also I've been thinking about Harry marrying Kes and Tom's daughter, so weird and possibly icky.. and then I started wondering about the Ocampa. They learn much faster than humans, they are like super curious high octane sponges of experiences and knowledge and MAYBE they are also in this fast forward mode with everyone they come across relationship wise. Form very quick, deep bonds and within a month you are ready to move in with them and breed. Perhaps they emit some fast forward pheromone that acts fast, glues others to them and neurologically connects them in a subtle yet powerful way (since they are telepaths this is an easy explain).

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 29 2014, 12:41 PM   #26
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Ocampan or no Ocampan, it just makes Harry Kim look really bad making it with his best friend's daughter. It's just not done! Does their friendship hold NO bars? I mean ... can Tom have nothing of his own, without Kim feeling entitled to it, because of their friendship? Apparently, the show is not only suggesting, but insisting that Tom and Harry have a friendship that knows no limits. Is this meant to be somehow endearing? I suspect so, but to just have that dropped in my lap, like a weasel, out of a clear blue sky ... My suspension of disbelief is not indestructable.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 01:06 PM   #27
teacock
Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Apparently, the show is not only suggesting, but insisting that Tom and Harry have a friendship that knows no limits.
We thought we were getting that when The Chute aired but sadly that was as far as it went.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 29 2014, 01:13 PM   #28
Fearless
Commodore

The Borg Queen! Harry can be a bridge between perfection and mediocrity.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 11:34 PM   #29
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia

teacake wrote: View Post
Well I don't agree. I think he is sweet and not specifically "boring and bland". He's playful, he likes to hang out, he likes to poke fun conversationally at people (as I recall anyway, and yes this may be mostly Tom's doing). He's up for a laugh. Boring and bland is Geordi La Forge. The only time I didn't like Harry was when he sassed the Captain with his horribly cringeworthy "have you every been in love?" speech which is really his gazelle scene for me.
I agree that I didn't like when he sassed Janeway either! I thought it was totally out of character. Janeway could have been a bit more understanding of his circumstance though in that episode.

And yeah Harry isn't a bad guy at all. He just had a hard time with women. That said, he was the one who had a fiancee back home. Tom and Chakotay didn't have that! Well, Tuvok had his wife. But he's a somewhat "elderly" Vulcan so of course he mated already.
Old January 30 2014, 12:07 AM   #30
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Harry wasn't sassing her, he just thought that the captain might be so old, that she predated love.