Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 4 2014, 12:28 PM   #1
hux
Lieutenant Commander

Message in a Bottle

An entertaining episode overall and Andy Dick does an amusing job in the EMH double act routine (bit hammy) but none the less, i still don't like the fact that they make contact with the alpha quadrant so early in the series (mid season 4). The reason Voyager is my favourite is because they're alone, lost in space and have become a community. Would have preferred they waited a little longer to put them back in touch with Starfleet

That aside....couple of Doctor questions

Firstly when Torres tells him about the possibility of sending him to the alpha quadrant in sickbay, she grabs his mobile emitter and next we see them together in astrometrics (the doctor wearing it). Then they download/transfer/compress him and send him through the sensor network....the mobile emitter doesn't drop to the ground, it just vanishes with him.....is that just a gaff

Secondly (and more fun to be had), the doctor mentions sex and "lets just say i made an addition to my programme". So when he wants to have sex, he has to tell the computer to put him in naked mode? He's just a surface really like Oddo was (Oddo had eyes but there's no reason to believe he could see with them specifically....maybe he just sensed from all over his body) whereas the doctor did see with his eyes (cos there was an episode where he went blind and started waving his hands in front of his eyes)

So if the doctor wanted to have sex, he would have to tell the computer to make him appear naked (rather than remove clothes cos he isn't actually wearing clothes)....then he would have to tell the computer to "attach penis" cos obviously it wouldn't be there as he was nothing more than a projected surface (unless his penis is permanently on show down there)

If not then wouldn't..."computer, attach penis"...spoil the mood somewhat?

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Re: Message in a Bottle

Good questions, hux, nice take on Message. I liked the epi even though I don't relate to Andy Dick and felt casting him would have been as out of place as Scott Thompson (Someone To Watch Over Me) - yet both actors did succeed despite a stretch into the sci fi venue.

Good catch on the mobile emitter! Hm, how do you transport a magnetic containment field?

As for the holo-parts question, when you look at the episode Latent Image, where the Doctor was performing a holographic record of each crewmember - and again in Lifesigns, when the Doctor reconstructed a holographic body for the Vidiian Denara Pel - you could see that these holograms were actually computed from the interior bone structure out.

This might have made them more lifelike in 3D space - with physical characteristics, force field substance, and movement. Contrast this to just projecting an image - which might not interact with the physical environment quite accurately. In other words, their 3D holograms seem to have had substance under the exterior surface. So he wouldn't have had to "De-Ken Doll" himself. My question is, would he feel anything or would he just respond as if he had felt something?
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 05:52 PM   #3
HIjol
Captain

If memory serves, Odo could, he just preferred not to...as for the EMH, he did have a son in one episode, and also if memory serves, he wrote programs to enhance his "completeness"...do not remember how complete, but kinda gives "mobile emitter" a whole new meaning!!!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Picardo at a convention stated that he had no idea that the Doctor had had a sex life until he read this script.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 06:06 PM   #5
HIjol
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Picardo at a convention stated that he had no idea that the Doctor had had a sex life until he read this script.
Now THAT is what I call sexual awakening!!!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Old March 4 2014, 11:35 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I loved "Message in a Bottle", although I must admit... it does rankle a little that Voyager's first contact with the Alpha Quadrant turned out to be a comedy episode. The USS Prometheus was badass incarnate (well... it was at the time. I suspect the USS Vengeance would eat it whole) and OMFG THEY WERE GONNA GET A MESSAGE HOME!! That was huge.

As for the Doc's cock, I figured it was a callback to "Resolutions" (and that a bit more went on between the Doc and Denara than we were shown)
Old March 5 2014, 12:26 AM   #7
Danny99
Vice Admiral

The first of many EMH ego stroke episodes. Don't get me wrong, I love Picardo and he can do great things with a script. But the writers seemed to want to turn him into this pompous character that no one could stand.
Old March 5 2014, 02:55 AM   #8
HIjol
Captain

Danny99 wrote: View Post
The first of many EMH ego stroke episodes. Don't get me wrong, I love Picardo and he can do great things with a script. But the writers seemed to want to turn him into this pompous character that no one could stand.
Agree, agree, agree, Danny99...there were times when he really pushed through that pomposity wormhole the writers were trying to steer him down and showed his range and ability...the "analgesic creme" scene with the Borg still makes me laugh.
Old March 5 2014, 03:03 AM   #9
HIjol
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I loved "Message in a Bottle", although I must admit... it does rankle a little that Voyager's first contact with the Alpha Quadrant turned out to be a comedy episode. The USS Prometheus was badass incarnate (well... it was at the time. I suspect the USS Vengeance would eat it whole) and OMFG THEY WERE GONNA GET A MESSAGE HOME!! That was huge.

As for the Doc's cock, I figured it was a callback to "Resolutions" (and that a bit more went on between the Doc and Denara than we were shown)
King Daniel, you hit it!!!...they absolutely should have had a Doctor vehicle episode named "The Doc's Cock"...

"Please state the nature of the...oh, goodness, Ensign Luscious, you seem to be missing some items of...say, I do not think I can...ah! perhaps I can..."

Hope that was not too much for the rating of the thread, Mods!
Old March 6 2014, 03:52 AM   #10
picardo
Lieutenant

It's not sufficiently explained, in season 6, episode "Blink of an Eye" how the doctor got an alien woman pregnant. He named his son "Jason" if I recall correctly.

It's inferred that he lived at least a year and a half with a woman, on this planet, shared an apartment, but how she never realized that his husband was an hologram is a mystery.
picardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 04:00 AM   #11
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Have you never hooked up with someone who already has children?

Sometimes the kids are so young, they overbond as if you were a biological parent, and you might just overbond right back becuase it's really hard not to.

Happens all the time.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:31 PM   #12
hux
Lieutenant Commander

Triskelion wrote: View Post
As for the holo-parts question, when you look at the episode Latent Image, where the Doctor was performing a holographic record of each crewmember - and again in Lifesigns, when the Doctor reconstructed a holographic body for the Vidiian Denara Pel - you could see that these holograms were actually computed from the interior bone structure out.
I find the idea of projecting a penis then projecting clothes around that penis, to be utterly baffling to say the least (not to mention a waste of energy) it might make sense for important crew medical records to have layers but they're not up and about, interacting and moving etc

I'm still struggling to comprehend how lungs could have been projected through flesh and bone for Neelix to use

picardo wrote: View Post
It's not sufficiently explained, in season 6, episode "Blink of an Eye" how the doctor got an alien woman pregnant. He named his son "Jason" if I recall correctly.
I always just assumed he wasn't the biological father...he hints at that i believe

picardo wrote: View Post
It's inferred that he lived at least a year and a half with a woman, on this planet, shared an apartment, but how she never realized that his husband was an hologram is a mystery.
So i think we can safely say that the attachment was integrated into the mobile emitter.....and functioned adequately enough to keep her from kicking him out

Old March 6 2014, 09:14 PM   #13
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 09:19 PM   #14
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Good points! But I actually have no qualms with this episode. I love it haha.

About the Doc, I think his program would probably be sophisticated enough to make him appear naked and with his addition underneath the clothes so he could take them off "naturally". After all, those sex-holosuites Quark runs has holograms that are capable of that I think.
Old March 6 2014, 10:11 PM   #15
hux
Lieutenant Commander

So he takes off his hologram clothes so that he can be hologram naked

See, this is where holodeck technology starts to hurt my brain. In Vis a vis, Tom is working on a Camaro in the holodeck and when he comes out, he's still covered in oil.....how?

I think when we first saw holodeck technology in the TNG pilot, it made more sense. Riker throws a stone and it bounces off the holodeck walls giving us the sense that, yes the hologram projection is brilliantly realistic but it's still just a room. Later series have made holodeck technology a bit too perfect and perplexing

I mean if two men go in and it's a highway then they face each other and start walking backwards away from each other, at what point are you no longer looking at the real person and instead are looking at a projection of the person to make them seem far away

and if they shout to each other, why can't they hear it....how does it affect the ears

They should have stuck with TNG basics