Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 29 2014, 07:02 PM   #106
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: The 12th Doctor's Wardrobe Revealed!

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
The location shots show that he's still got the bling on his ring finger while actually shooting. So this IS a thing, and it may require a bit of exposition when he puts it on. Mayhaps an effort to keep every companion from kissing him at some point. :P

Mark

He rarely takes off his wedding ring

http://www.hypable.com/2014/01/28/pe...f-city-centre/

In the photos seen below, Clara seems to still be wearing the outfit she had on at the Christmas special. On the other hand, Peter Capaldi is wearing the new outfit that the BBC released official photos of yesterday. Notably, he was still wearing his wedding ring. According to Farrell, Capaldi rarely takes the ring off for roles.
Old January 29 2014, 07:14 PM   #107
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I'm surprised that Susan and her and the Doctor's family has never been followed up on. Seems like great potential. I would love that.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 08:59 PM   #108
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
One thing I've never been clear on, since "Power of the Daleks" is lost: When Hartnell regenerated into Troughton, was Troughton originally wearing Hartnell's clothes, or did his clothes change in the regeneration? It always kind of seemed to me that Troughton's outfit was basically the same as Hartnell's but baggier because he was smaller, but I'm really not so sure.
The costume did change - but it's not clear if it was meant to be literally the same one or not. It was still a combination of coat, shirt and pants, but the design had changed and it was obviously ill-fitting, and the new Doctor never bothered to change into something that DID fit. The "reconstruction" includes narration that notes his clothes as having changed.

However, the first Doctor's ring survived the transition and the story made a point of the Second Doctor taking it off and letting it fall to the floor. I choose to believe that it was supposed to be the same, but the Second Doctor quickly changed into his new outfit as they landed quickly following, including the first of the strange hats he wore.

More from a recent article:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2014/01/29/the-...3A+sfxrss+(SFX)
Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...

Last edited by Mark_Nguyen; January 29 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 10:28 PM   #109
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think it was probably meant to be the same outfit, but one that simply fit a lot worse on Troughton than it did on Hartnell. Back then producers probably didn't expect audiences to care as much about continuity, or pay as much attention to what a costume (or TARDIS set) looked like from episode to episode.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 07:39 PM   #110
Worf2DS9
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I'm surprised that Susan and her and the Doctor's family has never been followed up on. Seems like great potential. I would love that.
Ford has reprised her role in the Big Finish audio adventures several times. I know she's been reunited with the 8th Doctor on a few occasions (along with her grandson), and I'm sure she's done a couple of the Companion Chronicles audios too. Though I agree it would be cool for her to pop up in an actual episode at some point.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 12:19 AM   #111
chelly
Lieutenant Commander

Sorry I thought I had hit quote but I didn't. My post is referring to this comment :

"RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The pants seem a little long in the crotch, but that might just be the style. Or the crotch. "

They will ride up with wear. Sorry Couldn't resist doing a quote from "Are you being Served"
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 12:25 AM   #112
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post

It's generally assumed his wife was human, since although Susan has an immense intellect similar to a Time Lord, she was human and has since passed on after one life.
Let me add to the 'generally assumed' by whom? line of questioning...
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 09:15 PM   #113
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...showcase-event

Peter Capaldi surprises guests at BBC Worldwide Showcase event...

Hundreds of international TV buyers were dazzled by a surprise appearance from the new Doctor Peter Capaldi at BBC Worldwide’s annual Showcase event in Liverpool.
Capaldi, who has started filming the new series of Doctor Who, emerged from the iconic TARDIS to the delight of the audience and chatted briefly with Graham Norton.
Afterwards he commented: “As a lifetime follower of the show, I'm delighted to see its global success. And I'm looking forward to sharing with the world the very exciting journey the new series is taking us on”.
Earlier today it was announced that former The History Boys star Samuel Anderson would be joining Doctor Who as a recurring character for Series 8.

Peter Capaldi's attendance was part of an evening celebrating the best of British TV talent, with appearances including Sir David Attenborough, the presenters of Top Gear, Bollywood dancing from India’s smash hit version of Strictly Come Dancing and a special pre-recorded piece from Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch.
Cumberbatch appeared in a specially shot video, where he apologised for not being able to attend the event but teased the audience as to whether Moriarty’s supposed return at the end of the latest series of Sherlock was real or not.
The annual 4-day Showcase event, hosted by BBC Worldwide - the main commercial arm of the BBC - brings executives from international broadcasters together and provides them with the opportunity to watch new programmes available for international sale. This year 2,800 hours of British TV content are available to buy covering drama, comedy, natural history, factual entertainment, formats, science and children’s; enabling buyers to take the best of British television programming to viewers around the globe.
In 2012/13, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £156m and headline sales of £1,116m and returned £156m to the BBC.

Old February 26 2014, 12:19 AM   #114
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I still hate the pants.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 12:44 AM   #115
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

I'm gonna have to see it in action. In several episodes. He looks like a magician and, weeks later, I still think it's a bad choice for a costume.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 01:55 AM   #116
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think the pants look fine (and a lot less cheap than in the promo pic). But I'm not sure about the one button on his coat though. Think it looks better with at least two.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 04:32 AM   #117
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I still hate the pants.
Me too. Perhaps his outfit will evolve? Or at least look better in action.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 09:50 AM   #118
Starkers
Admiral

I may be wrong but I think the one button fastened is how the coat is supposed to be worn, also it probably allows more of the red to come through and as that's the only colour in the outfit this is a good thing.

It will come down to seeing in in action. He looked subdued but still Doctorish, even Ecclston managed to look like the Doctor so there is presedent, plus I guess you could argue Hartnell's outfit was pretty plain.

Personally I like it more than I dislike it, if that makes sense, and I like that there's a clear 20th Century vibe to all of the modern Doctor's looks, with the exception of Smith's Series 7B look, which didn't really fit.

Eccleston: 1940's U-Boat captain look.
Tennant: 1940's Spiv/1970's detective/1990's Brit Pop look.
Smith: 1950's professor.
Capaldi: 1960's/70's Mod look.

Really the odd man out is Smith's Edwardian look.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 09:58 AM   #119
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The top buttoned coat gives it a Victorian flavour without actually bein Victorian, complimented by the white shirt.
Not sure about the trousers, they don't really match the rest.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 10:02 AM   #120
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

IMO, the Doctor should always have an odd sense of fashion in that there should be some parts of his outfit that don't really go together or isn't with current times.