MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 1 2014, 04:33 AM   #1
Dale Sams
Captain

The ony thing wrong with Trials and Tribble-ations

I understand not using the original music, but the creators should have taken that as a challenge to come up with NEW TOS-type music.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: The ony thing wrong with Trials and Tribble-ations

Yeah, the bar fight is kinda boring with the typical Rick Berman background drone music.
Old February 1 2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

In terms of sound, I think it was bizarre that the TOS and DS9 characters don't sound like they occupation the same space. Kirk et al sound tinny and trebly. The DS9 characters sound full voice and resonate when they speak. Only when Sisko gets Kirks autograph do they aurally put them in the same space.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

^That scene wasn't even from the original Tribbles episode. It was from Mirror, Mirror.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^Why would that affect how Sisko would sound in this scene, not the others? There was a sound engineers choice at work.
Old February 1 2014, 02:29 PM   #6
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the original music might not have been used so as to avoid having to pay royalties. Trials would already be a fairly expensive episode. As for sound differences that might be down simply to changes in tech from the 1960's to the 1990's.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well the original music might not have been used so as to avoid having to pay royalties. Trials would already be a fairly expensive episode. As for sound differences that might be down simply to changes in tech from the 1960's to the 1990's.
I still don't see where the confusion is. Sound engineers used the same analog technology in the 1990s that they did in the 1960s--reverbs, equalizers, compressors. Moreover, it doesn't explain why Sisko's voice was modified (at least part of the way) to make him sound more like he was filmed in the 1960s, as opposed to the rest of the episode, which sounds like the 1990s.
Old February 1 2014, 06:19 PM   #8
Kinggodzillak
Commander

The only thing that bugs me is they changed the sound effect of the intercom button on Kirk's chair. In the original episode, when he calls McCoy to the bridge, it makes a simple click noise. In the DS9 ep it goes BLALALALALA!

Yes, a tiny change, but...why make it?
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Harvey
Admiral

Yeah, the score to the episode is a disappointment. Even Ronald D. Moore has said as much.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Still, within the limits of the musical style of DS9, Dennis McCarthy was able to do a decent Jerry Fielding pastiche.

My main problem is that the Kirk-Sisko scene takes the TOS footage from "Mirror, Mirror" when Kirk is looking at Barbara Luna, who's not very tall, so they had to make Sisko unnaturally short for the shot to work.

Also it kind of bugged me that the episode required them to acknowledge the change in the Klingons' appearance as something that was real in-universe. Before then, it had seemed like the franchise as a whole was following Roddenberry's advice and pretending that Klingons had always had ridges even in TOS, or at least remaining agnostic about it. Well, I don't mind that they acknowledged it so much as the way they handled it. It's hard to believe that the DS9 crew had never heard of ridgeless Klingons before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 07:05 PM   #11
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

It was only Bashir and O'Brien who definitely didn't know about the Klingons.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 07:05 PM   #12
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
The only thing that bugs me is they changed the sound effect of the intercom button on Kirk's chair. In the original episode, when he calls McCoy to the bridge, it makes a simple click noise. In the DS9 ep it goes BLALALALALA!

Yes, a tiny change, but...why make it?
Because it was a tiny change?
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 07:23 PM   #13
Harvey
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Also it kind of bugged me that the episode required them to acknowledge the change in the Klingons' appearance as something that was real in-universe. Before then, it had seemed like the franchise as a whole was following Roddenberry's advice and pretending that Klingons had always had ridges even in TOS, or at least remaining agnostic about it. Well, I don't mind that they acknowledged it so much as the way they handled it. It's hard to believe that the DS9 crew had never heard of ridgeless Klingons before.
I thought it was better to make a joke out of it than to give it the treatment Enterprise did.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 08:03 PM   #14
dub
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I thought it was better to make a joke out of it than to give it the treatment Enterprise did.
Yeah, I took it as a joke and I thought it was brilliant. Really the whole episode was a lighthearted gem. I think the beginning set the tone. It was a valentine (in the TRUE sense of the word) for the fans. Not everything has to be by the book. DS9 took several asides like this that aren't meant to be taken so seriously. And I love that. "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" comes to mind. "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang" -- I love the scene where the crew are dressed up walking through the promenade. It's unrealistic even in the fictional universe of DS9, of course, but to me it was a great moment! It's like once in a while the producers would sometimes say "lighten up, people, we're just making a TV show after all! Enjoy it!" I, for one, loved it!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I did too! I loved "Badda Bing," and thought of it as Trek meets "Ocean's Eleven."
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote