Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 23 2014, 03:51 AM   #1
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Favorite Doctor Who alien race?

Just curious which alien race / alien featured in Doctor Who is your favorite?

My faves (from "New Who"):
-Time Lord
-The Ood!!!!
-Daleks
-Cybermen
-Face of Boe
-Adipose
-Lady Cassandra (I know technically her DNA is human, but she must count!)
-Weeping Angels

I have more faves from the later seasons, but I am re-watching Season 2 at the moment so it's on my mind.

My favorite (besides the obvious big ones) is probably the Ood for some reason. I found them really interesting in every episode they were featured in. Even though Moffat didn't use them as much as Davies, I liked that they didn't disappear entirely.

Eh, I just think they were really cool (no 11 pun intended) for the fact that they were able to have prophecies of future events...and adding to that, the fact that they were first shown as a violent race, but then the viewer discovers they are a peaceful people who just want freedom like anyone else. Whenever they show up in an episode, I feel like it takes on a more prophetic and mysterious tone.

Ood love...

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; January 23 2014 at 04:13 AM.
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Favorite Doctor Who alien race?

Daleks.

I'm old fashioned.
Old January 23 2014, 12:29 PM   #3
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Actually there's one thing that really annoys me about pretty much all of the major DW aliens. People get on Star Trek's case for having 'planets of the hats' - all members of a certain alien race acting and looking alike - but it is literally the case with Doctor Who aliens far more often than it is not.

Daleks - Metal boxes. Yes, there are subtleties in designs, but in the vast majority of cases individuality is specifically bred out of them. All just 'Daleks.'

Cybermen - Specifically designed to all be the same, certainly the modern versions. That's their whole point.

Sontarans - Cloned warriors, so that - what a surprise - they all look the same and can be portrayed by the same actor. The one time they have a Sontaran who acts different - Strax - they get complaints that he's not a real Sontaran anymore.

Silurians - All of the same "gene line" or some such, so that they can all look the same and be portrayed by the same actors.

Weeping Angels - Some slight differences to their looks but they don't even talk so it's impossible to call any of them individuals.

Ood - All look the same, and they're telepathically connected so they all act the same too.

Silence - All look the same. They even relied on that to make us think Clara was in trouble in "TotD."

And so on. Alien races are made interesting by adding complexity, things to be interested by. Pretty much all DW aliens are one singular gimmick blown up to be an entire race.

All that being said, I do enjoy the Angels - they just need to be used sparingly or else they lose their bite, rather like the Borg.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 05:00 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mine (in exact order):
  1. Time Lords (when they're good, they're good--when they're bad, oh are they ever so delightfully bad).
  2. Cybermen (robotic zombies with guns that can either kill you or turn you into one of them--what's not to love about that?).
  3. Sontarans (didn't care for 'em that much in the classic days, but they're a total riot now).
  4. Silurians (I absolutely love the 2010 redesign, yet they still retain their classic-era axe to grind against Humans).
Old January 23 2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Candlelight
Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Daleks - Metal boxes. Yes, there are subtleties in designs, but in the vast majority of cases individuality is specifically bred out of them. All just 'Daleks.'
In the new series, yes. With the exception of the obvious leaders like the Emperor, or Davros, or the Supreme, or Cult of Skaro, or the Paradigm Daleks, they're an army of foot soldiers so they have to be identical. It's cheaper to reuse and refurbish old props than create new ones for each serial.

Go back to the original series though and once you get to the colour serials they started to change them slightly every story, so they did appear different each time you saw them.

That said, Doctor Who has always been held back by budget. I'm sure they'd love to do different types of alien species each week but it all comes down to money.
Old January 23 2014, 10:36 PM   #6
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Actually there's one thing that really annoys me about pretty much all of the major DW aliens. People get on Star Trek's case for having 'planets of the hats' - all members of a certain alien race acting and looking alike - but it is literally the case with Doctor Who aliens far more often than it is not.
Yeah, but I do think that overall the non-humans in Doctor Who do appear to be less human-like than Star Trek though (with the exception of some, like the Time Lords). Yes, within a race in Doctor Who the individuals tend to be very similar, but the differences between one another is pretty drastic I think.
Old January 24 2014, 12:14 AM   #7
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Humans. They can be really creepy aliens in this show.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 02:28 AM   #8
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

For me, the scariest are definately the Cybermen.

I like the militarism of the old school Sontarans. And Strax is hilarious!
Old January 24 2014, 02:32 AM   #9
diankra
Commodore

Ice Warriors. Mainly thanks to Brian Hayles's books. Side order of Sontarans and definitely Alpha Centauri. Sensorites and Wirrn among the one-timers.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 02:46 AM   #10
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

I can't really put my sonic screwdriver on it but I really like The Judoon. It would be nice to see them show up again.
Old January 24 2014, 02:55 AM   #11
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

For weirdness, I gotta love Alpha Centauri, Zarbi, Menoptra, & Monoids.
Old January 24 2014, 02:57 AM   #12
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
I can't really put my sonic screwdriver on it but I really like The Judoon. It would be nice to see them show up again.
The Judoon are probably the best design.
Old January 24 2014, 07:42 AM   #13
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

The Judoon are pretty awesome.

Weeping Angels have been pretty good, too.

The Daleks are interestin' when they are more than just foot soldiers. Cybermen, too. But their uniformity can make 'em dull unless there's a second or third party handler/motivation.
Old January 26 2014, 02:44 AM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

Cybermen - Specifically designed to all be the same, certainly the modern versions. That's their whole point.

Sontarans - Cloned warriors, so that - what a surprise - they all look the same and can be portrayed by the same actor. The one time they have a Sontaran who acts different - Strax - they get complaints that he's not a real Sontaran anymore.

Silurians - All of the same "gene line" or some such, so that they can all look the same and be portrayed by the same actors.

Weeping Angels - Some slight differences to their looks but they don't even talk so it's impossible to call any of them individuals.

Ood - All look the same, and they're telepathically connected so they all act the same too.

Silence - All look the same. They even relied on that to make us think Clara was in trouble in "TotD."

And so on. Alien races are made interesting by adding complexity, things to be interested by. Pretty much all DW aliens are one singular gimmick blown up to be an entire race.

All that being said, I do enjoy the Angels - they just need to be used sparingly or else they lose their bite, rather like the Borg.

Not to mention the Whisper Men, the robots inside the Tessalecta, the medical robots from "The Girl Who Waited," the clockwork robots from "The Girl in the Fireplace," etc...

Also, there's just too many damned robots.
Old January 26 2014, 03:44 AM   #15
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

Some of the most interesting aliens to me are ones that were treated pretty much as throw-aways.

The Forest seen in The End of the World -- I don't see the idea of plant people explored in Sci-Fi that often. Mostly just in fantasy. The thought that the species is descended from the trees of Earth is quite improbable, but very Doctor Who-ish. I wish we could have seen them again.

The Fish-people seen in the Doctor's daughter -- I guess originally these people were given actual lines that were replaced with bubbling noises. If they could make a translator for them then it would be great fun to see them again.

These species had the ability to produce individuals that were --well, individuals, and not just swarms of monsters. But I think their design indicates that they would have some interesting views on the universe than most of the bipedal mammal aliens and near-humans.

Actually, my favorite Dalek story in Nu-Who was "The Daleks in Manhatten." The Daleks recognized that in order to keep exterminating the universe they were going to need to change, and so they tried to create a new breed of Dalek -- but then couldn't accept change when they came across it.

I do enjoy the Doctor Who staples, though. They're always good fun, so long as the writers keep thinking up fresh ways to use them.