Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 17 2014, 05:47 AM   #136
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: New Orleans-Class

Timo wrote: View Post
As for the fleet seen launching, none of the four ships can actually be identified: there are no registries or names visible. Which is understandable, because it is a montage of stock footage shots for the most part, and stock footage would have been shot for generic use, with as few unique or identifying factors as possible.
Actually, the fleet launching scene is not in fact stock footage, but new footage filmed for that episode. The only stock footage used was the scene between the Enterprise and the Excalibur, which was taken from "Yesterday's Enterprise."

As for the Nebula, the same nacelle damage seen in the initial fleet launching scene is present on the model when we see her as the Sutherland; hence, that ship was the Sutherland.
Old March 17 2014, 08:29 AM   #137
Timo
Admiral

Actually, the fleet launching scene is not in fact stock footage, but new footage filmed for that episode.
I very much doubt that. Each of the individual ship shots looks identical to the previous appearances of said ships from rear angles...

Save for the Sutherland, of course - that's footage from elsewhere in the same episode, as you point out.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 09:33 AM   #138
Dukhat
Commodore

Actually, the fleet launching scene is not in fact stock footage, but new footage filmed for that episode.
I very much doubt that. Each of the individual ship shots looks identical to the previous appearances of said ships from rear angles...

Save for the Sutherland, of course - that's footage from elsewhere in the same episode, as you point out.

Timo Saloniemi
There were three ships in that shot besides the Enterprise: The Sutherland, the Excalibur and the Hathaway. They are all departing at the same time and flying in formation away from the camera. I don't believe there are any corresponding stock footage clips showing this particular formation with any of the three ships (there's a similar shot of the Enterprise and the Zhukov, but the distance between the two ships isn't exactly the same as the distance between the Enterprise and the Excalibur).
Old March 17 2014, 10:44 AM   #139
Timo
Admiral

The "formation" would be an artifact of how the shot was composited. In the originals, each of the ships would have been at a slightly different position of the viewscreen: translations like that are easily accomplished in reuse of stock elements.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 12:10 PM   #140
Dukhat
Commodore

The "formation" would be an artifact of how the shot was composited. In the originals, each of the ships would have been at a slightly different position of the viewscreen: translations like that are easily accomplished in reuse of stock elements.

Timo Saloniemi
Yes, I know that. My point was that to my knowledge, none of the individual ships ever had been filmed the way they were seen in that shot to provide stock footage for this scene, no matter how the shot may have been composited. If you can find previous episodes where the models in question appeared the same way they did here, I'll stand corrected.
Old March 17 2014, 04:18 PM   #141
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I also believe it was a new shot, but with an eye on possibly re-using their elements in concert with other stock footage at some later time. That's why the Valkyrie was in the same-ish position as the earlier footage of the E-D towing the Stargazer, later seen as the Hathaway; and the Excalibur was in the same-ish position as the E-D flying in formation with the Zhukov the previous season. The Sutherland's component was also new in that it showed the starboard nacelle incomplete / under repair / damaged / whatever. Not sure if that would ever have been used again, and obviously none of this shot's components ever were.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...tiontwo066.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...tle_hd_456.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...atasday021.jpg

They sorta did this with the stock footage of the Hood flying alongside and then peeling off from the E-D in "Encounter at Farpoint", combining it with the following season's shot of the Repulse simply flying in formation with the E-D (albeit on the other side of the ship) from "The Child". This leads to several awkward-looking sequences where an Excelsior class ship is flying alongside in one shot of some episode, and then in the next external shot she's apparently slipped over or under the Enterprise, recommenced parallel flight on the opposite side, and THEN veers off. Those always bugged me, but I understand why they'd try to re-use stock footage this way and hope only we nerds would be bugged by it. :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 01:05 AM   #142
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

Could the Valkryrie shots perhaps have been a reuse of the Hathaway shots from "Peak Performance"? IIRC, the Stargazer wasn't seen from the rear angles that were used for some of the Hathaway shots, it was only seen from either the front or side.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 05:42 AM   #143
Dukhat
Commodore

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
That's why the Valkyrie was in the same-ish position as the earlier footage of the E-D towing the Stargazer, later seen as the Hathaway
The Constellation class ship wasn't the Valkyrie. IIRC, that name (and a change to one of the numbers of the registry) was put on the model after it had been shipped off to Planet Hollywood or some other such place as a display piece. If you squint, you can see that the registry number in the fleet shot is the Hathaway's.

Unicron wrote: View Post
Could the Valkryrie shots perhaps have been a reuse of the Hathaway shots from "Peak Performance"? IIRC, the Stargazer wasn't seen from the rear angles that were used for some of the Hathaway shots, it was only seen from either the front or side.
Neither the Stargazer nor the Hathaway were ever seen at that angle in motion.

Last edited by Dukhat; March 18 2014 at 05:55 AM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 01:08 AM   #144
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

True. It's interesting how similar this shot looks to the link above of the blockade fleet, but of course the Hathaway was just stationary.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 03:02 AM   #145
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

If this image is legit, you can see both names.

Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2014, 03:31 AM   #146
Dukhat
Commodore

^Yep, it's legit. They just literally superimposed the Valkyrie label over the Hathaway's, which seems not to have come off all the way. They similarly superimposed a "0" over the "3" in the fourth number of the registry.