Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 24 2014, 01:46 AM   #16
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Stargate SG1: How does everyone speak English?

Babel Fish.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 01:51 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

There's a nice moment in "Children of the Gods" where Jack asks Daniel to communicate with the natives, Daniel just says "hello" (or something like it), and then it turns out the natives speak English. And from that point on, just about everyone speaks English.

I preferred the way the movie handled it, but I recognize that could get tedious after a while (and that the series was attempting to be a bit lighter fare).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 03:08 AM   #18
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

They should just do the Doctor Who way and just say the start that it's the Stargate, but they didn't.

It's because it was made in Canada.
Old January 24 2014, 06:50 AM   #19
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?
Countless threads asking for shows similar to other shows.
Aw, let's give the guy a break this time. It's a legitimate question and this particular show chose to ignore it rather than handwave it.

I always envisioned that originally, the language barrier was just like what we see in the movie. After the events of the movie, Daniel learned the Abydonian language, which is the same as that of the Goa'uld. He also taught some of the Abydonians English, which is why Skaara and the others can speak it when "Children of the Gods" rolls around.

When the team SG-1 is first established, in most of the encounters where people appear to be speaking English, they are actually speaking either
1) the Goa'uld tongue, a common trade language due to frequent contact with gate travelers
Note that Jack has a start from his exposure to Abydos and Sam is an all-around genius, so they can pick it up pretty fast. Daniel and Teal'c are already fluent and can translate where needed.

Would be used in the first few seasons in "COTG", "Bloodlines", "Cor-Ai", "There But for the Grace...", "Within the Serpent's Grasp", "The Serpent's Lair", "Need", "Family", "Secrets", "The Tok'ra", "Serpent's Song", "Holiday", "Out of Mind", "Into the Fire", "Point of View", "Rules of Engagement", "Forever in a Day", "Jolinar's Memories", and "The Devil You Know". Also possibly certain episodes like "Brief Candle", "Deadman Switch" and "Pretense", assuming they're not just speaking English in the latter two anyway.
or they're speaking
2) a native tongue, which is almost always derived from an Earth language.
Note that Daniel is a genius with languages, can figure out any given tongue in a short time, and can translate for the others when needed.

Would be used in the first few seasons in "Emancipation", "The Broca Divide", "The First Commandment", "Thor's Hammer", "Prisoners", "Thor's Chariot", "Past and Present", "A Hundred Days", and "New Ground". Possibly "Demons" too, although the natives could be speaking the Goa'uld tongue or even some archaic form of English. Anyway, this is really not a great number compared to the total number of episodes.
In all other episodes, either
1) the aliens have their own means to learn English or otherwise communicate,
2) there was enough contact prior to the episode to establish a means of communication, or
3) no alien speech is ever involved in the episode.

This just about works for the first few seasons if you squint real hard and ignore things like the fact Daniel is not always on hand to translate for the others. Or the fact that the Abydonian language in the movie is nothing at all like the Goa'uld speech on the show.

I've always assumed that this explanation breaks down after the first few seasons due to too many of the above discrepancies or at least an increasingly improbable number of languages for Daniel to translate to the rest of the team. But a quick look at seasons 4 and 5 show me only two of those, "Scorched Earth" and "Red Sky." Perhaps I should look at all 10 seasons from this perspective. (Obviously Jonas, Dr. Rothman, etc. are considered to substitute for Daniel at the appropriate times.)

Is it possible that my handwaving can work (more or less) for the whole run of the show?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 07:26 AM   #20
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Not as easily as there being a Babel Fish function in the Stargates.
Old January 24 2014, 08:53 AM   #21
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Let's just say some of us like waving our hands more energetically than others.
Old January 24 2014, 10:31 PM   #22
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

Magnets!
Old January 25 2014, 05:09 AM   #23
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

It's the novel Cost of Honor that explains it, which takes place between "The Enemy Within" and "Emancipation." At first SG-1 doesn't understand the other languages (as in the film and "Children of the God"), but when they travel from a stargate with a DHD to another planet (so neither terminus is Earth), they begin to perceive everyone as speaking in English. Daniel and Sam suggest it's a software function of the DHDs, and Sam implies she'll analyze a DHD and add the program to the Earth 'gate.
Old January 25 2014, 05:35 AM   #24
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^hmmm, that sounds familiar.
Old January 25 2014, 09:19 AM   #25
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Just curious: Does that novel cover how the Abydonians, Teal'c, and some of the Chulak prisoners spoke English in COTG?

The Abydonians are still covered if Daniel taught them English prior to COTG. The others are a problem.
Old January 25 2014, 10:37 AM   #26
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Just curious: Does that novel cover how the Abydonians, Teal'c, and some of the Chulak prisoners spoke English in COTG?

The Abydonians are still covered if Daniel taught them English prior to COTG. The others are a problem.
Teal'c was Apophis's First... He was in charge of intelligence about the Tau'ri and their native language before, during and after the incursion. What he never told anybody (because no one bothered to ask), he is just as gifted with alien languages as Daniel.
In anticipation of his rebellion he secretly taught the prisoners as well in case the Tau'ri leader is one he can follow!

How is that?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 10:46 AM   #27
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Works for me!
Old January 25 2014, 12:20 PM   #28
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Works for me!
Thanks, of course I pulled that out of my behind. I didn't read the novel.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 08:51 PM   #29
MacLeod
Admiral

Of course there is one potential small problem with the stargate travel theory. How about when the stargate step is skipped all together and they beam from a ship to a planet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 09:37 PM   #30
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
It's the novel Cost of Honor that explains it, which takes place between "The Enemy Within" and "Emancipation." At first SG-1 doesn't understand the other languages (as in the film and "Children of the God"), but when they travel from a stargate with a DHD to another planet (so neither terminus is Earth), they begin to perceive everyone as speaking in English. Daniel and Sam suggest it's a software function of the DHDs, and Sam implies she'll analyze a DHD and add the program to the Earth 'gate.

Then why is Daniel the only one that knows Goua'ld and why do the Jaffa still speak it at time and not others?