Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 26 2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Noah
Ensign

Re: 2200's Integrity-Class Starship WIP

I see you've put a lot of time into your model. And I do remember seeing NX class era Klingon ships with that kind of reinforcing cable support. Which worked, the long thin boom section of the Klingon ships. Lent to the notion of needing more support where it was shown. And gave it a retro or old school look and feel compared to later Klingon design. Kind of like biplane v.s monoplane but I don’t see this in much of the NX era or later Starfleet design. I do see it on older freighter or commercial transport ships. Maybe its some sort of structural fix for ships that are past their prime of service. or a temporary fix until reaching a proper repair facility. I do love the bridge, and admhereire your hard work!

Last edited by Noah; January 26 2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: misspelling
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 01:26 AM   #17
publiusr
Commodore

aalenfae wrote: View Post
Here's a starship design I've been working on for a while - the Integrity-Class, which I imagine was launched in 2200.
All I get are boxes with the X on them

I'd like to see that Kelvin type saucer on the NX-01 refit secondary hull--a different type of Kelvin prise.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 06:35 PM   #18
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

Ah - I wonder why you can't view the images : \
Is anybody else having issues with the images not loading?

So I was thinking - for all those times that the reactor has to go offline (and auxiliary power randomly goes offline as well), Starfleet ships would do really well to have an alternative source of power. While browsing through some NASA images, pondering what sorts of details I might carry over from real-world spacecraft, I thought "solar panels!"
But, does anything in Star Trek have solar panels? Well, we never SEE them on any Starfleet ship (though some sort of unrecognizable photovoltaic device might be present). But we do actually see traditional-looking solar panel structures on some Federation space stations - such as the MIDAS Array and Jupiter Station. So it's safe to believe that - unless these structures just look exactly like modern-day solar panels - solar panels are still in use as late as the 2300's. It's not strange to expect a long-range interstellar exploration ship to employ a similar technology.

That's where the Integrity-Class comes in.
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 07:21 AM   #19
Albertese
Commodore

Seems to me that they take up a whole bunch of internal volume. Photovoltaic panels are pretty slim and probably wouldn't need such heavy duty mechanisms to unfold them.

And how much actual utility would such panels have? Most places beyond the outer edge of the "Goldilocks" zone of Sol-like stars would yield precious little actual electricity. Surely not enough to benefit a starship. I would expect such equipment to be rolled up and tucked quietly away somewhere for the really rare occasions such a thing would be useful...

Just my opinion...

--Alex
Old February 5 2014, 04:16 AM   #20
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

All good points!
Here's some progress.
More details, and this time - compact, collapsible solar panels.
Old February 5 2014, 12:35 PM   #21
Finn
Vice Admiral

Love it!
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 05:14 PM   #22
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks! Here's a slightly updated view. Added some phaser turret hatches, modified some of the piping, and filled in details around the command module.
Old February 9 2014, 11:00 PM   #23
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

Hate to double-post, but I've come up with some new, cool goodness!

Here's some of the internal guts of the Integrity!

Old February 9 2014, 11:22 PM   #24
blssdwlf
Commodore

Looks nice. Out of curiosity, does the M/AM core feed the ship power or is it only just the fusion cores?
Old February 10 2014, 02:24 AM   #25
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

I've set it up that the M/AM core is only for the warp drive, while the fusion cores power everything else.

Though the main conduits powering the impulse engines run straight under the M/AM core, which might be a possible place for a tie-in.
Old February 12 2014, 03:08 AM   #26
PhoenixClass
Lieutenant Commander

I like the look and logic behind the support cables.

I'm not sure about the superstructure itself. On the one hand, I do like that it fits in with your theory of design. On the other hand, it might be too "old fashioned." My first thought when I saw it was that the ship had the back end of an airplane stuck on top.

Just my perspective and impressions, humbly submitted.
PhoenixClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 04:33 AM   #27
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

nice ship guts there
Old February 17 2014, 03:35 PM   #28
JJohnson
Captain

Ah - I wonder why you can't view the images : \
Is anybody else having issues with the images not loading?

So I was thinking - for all those times that the reactor has to go offline (and auxiliary power randomly goes offline as well), Starfleet ships would do really well to have an alternative source of power. While browsing through some NASA images, pondering what sorts of details I might carry over from real-world spacecraft, I thought "solar panels!"
But, does anything in Star Trek have solar panels? Well, we never SEE them on any Starfleet ship (though some sort of unrecognizable photovoltaic device might be present). But we do actually see traditional-looking solar panel structures on some Federation space stations - such as the MIDAS Array and Jupiter Station. So it's safe to believe that - unless these structures just look exactly like modern-day solar panels - solar panels are still in use as late as the 2300's. It's not strange to expect a long-range interstellar exploration ship to employ a similar technology.

That's where the Integrity-Class comes in.
The idea of solar panels I can certainly agree with being a useful option, especially in a future where I can assume that it would be an actually economical way to gather power. This version of the solar panels appears to take up too much volume with the large hinges - how about thin panels in roughly the same shape that lift up and slide out, not flipping over but just up a little and out, giving the ship 6 or 8 roughly rectangular solar panels exposed, while at the same time, not altering its warp field profile in case it is necessary to leave an area quickly for some reason?

And I must say I'm impressed with your level of detail in this ship. It really does feel like a ship that could fit into the original Trek universe, moreso than the alternate Trek's Kelvin. Please do keep up the good work!

Last edited by JJohnson; February 17 2014 at 07:15 PM.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 03:38 PM   #29
JJohnson
Captain

Hate to double-post, but I've come up with some new, cool goodness!

Here's some of the internal guts of the Integrity!

These are the drawings I always pore over in Technical Manuals. Good stuff! My question here - how do they eject the antimatter and/or fusion cores in an emergency? It looks like the antimatter is placed right at the neck and pylon structure.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 06:55 PM   #30
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

Hey - thanks for your comments! Of course, I'm always revising exactly how things work on the ship, so I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind!

For the fusion cores, they'll eject quite easily - as a new update in the relatively near future will show. The answer to the antimatter core is a puzzling one for me, as it doesn't really go anywhere conveniently in my design. But I'll definitely give it some thought.