TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 23 2014, 01:32 AM   #1
Botany Bay
Commodore

TWOK uniforms : original badge design

From the ANOVOS team (makers of high end costume replicas) :

As originally designed, the uniform would have only featured the classic symbol on the belt buckle. The insignia on the chest would have been a stylized representation of the planet Earth, and that insignia was the long gold oval that eventually became the backing board for the two piece badge. How is it a pictograph of Earth? Well, the starburst in the center is our sun, the lavender/blue sections represent Earth’s sky and oceans, and the ivory/white field are the clouds that surround our world. Oh, and that little dot over there in the corner? That’s our Moon. Cool huh? This insignia and the concept behind it was designed by Mike Minor and Wrath of Khan costume designer Robert Fletcher, but it was Star Trek II director Nicholas Meyer who decided that it needed to have a "Starfleet Delta Shield" on top.
Just when you thought you knew everything there was to know about your favourite film of all time.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 06:58 AM   #2
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: TWOK uniforms : original badge design

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Just when you thought you knew everything there was to know about your favourite film of all time.
Not MY favorite film of all time. Not even my favorite Trek film.

Interesting trivia tho.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

The Wrath of Khan uniforms are my favourite Star Trek uniforms of all time. First Contact/DS9's were good, but I love TWoK uniforms the most.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 07:24 PM   #4
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

That's cool. I've never heard that one. I've long wondered why the back piece was there and particularly why the seemingly arbitrary dot was there.
Old January 23 2014, 08:24 PM   #5
J.T.B.
Commodore

Interesting. I never really liked that badge, it just seemed like another arbitrary doo-dad added to an already cluttered-up uniform. It does raise the question of why Spock and other alien Starfleet personnel would wear an Earth badge, though.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 09:37 PM   #6
drt
Commander

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
That's cool. I've never heard that one. I've long wondered why the back piece was there and particularly why the seemingly arbitrary dot was there.
Back in the day, I had decided they were the new design (and location) of the perscan devices from TMP.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 05:20 AM   #7
AshGL1914
Lieutenant Commander

The Enterprise carries an Earth registry and Earth also happens to be the seat of government for the UFP. In this case then the officer's chest badge serves as an identifier for the home of the Enterprise just as the shoulder patch on the Wrath of Khan field jacket shows our solar system.
AshGL1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
why the seemingly arbitrary dot was there.
Me too. My own theory was that the backing section was a miniaturization of ST:TMP's black Perscan buckle (which supposedly measured biorhythms and sent vital info back to the sick bay's computer), which similarly had a round button on one side and squares on the other.

drt wrote: View Post
Back in the day, I had decided they were the new design (and location) of the perscan devices from TMP.
Ha! Great minds think alike!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 11:33 AM   #9
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I just figured the costume designer or director wanted a Trekified version of an Air Force pin on a Canadian Mountie uniform.
Old January 31 2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Botany Bay
Commodore

And more from ANOVOS on the TWOK uniforms :

When costumer Robert Fletcher designed the uniforms for Star Trek II he was asked to provide not so much a costume, but rather a “real” uniform with all of the complexity of something designed in the 23rd century. One of the ideas he came up with was that the uniform itself would signal to the ship’s computer if the wearer was permitted access to vital areas of a starship. And so Bob created the “Security Device”; that nifty doodad on the back of all the officer’s uniforms in the film. Nearly every character’s is different and they were created from of all things the wheels of World War II tank model kits. Using a modeling technique called “Kit bashing” the costume department took different sizes and shapes of wheels and gears and recombined them into the various “Security Devices” seen throughout the Star Trek films starring the Original cast.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

And so Bob created the “Security Device”; that nifty doodad on the back of all the officer’s uniforms in the film. Nearly every character’s is different and they were created from of all things the wheels of World War II tank model kits.
Which was incredibly frustrating when we were trying to replicate the costumes for ST II's Australian premiere night, based only on small photos in the "Starlog Movie Magazine"! We settled on rectangular handbag clasps for the front of our uniform straps and oval handbag clasps, without the clasp, for the backs.

A few years later, when Lincoln Enterprises started selling doodads which they claimed were screen accurate, of course they looked nothing like the ones we had been attempting to study. It helps to know there were many different ones.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 06:18 PM   #12
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I had no idea the WoK uni's had this security thingie. And I've seen those films a million times.
Old January 31 2014, 07:40 PM   #13
dub
Fleet Captain

This is all new to me! Is there an image of what the TWOK badge actually looks like without the Starfleet insignia on top?
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 05:58 AM   #14
SpHeRe31459
Captain

When costumer Robert Fletcher designed the uniforms for Star Trek II he was asked to provide not so much a costume, but rather a “real” uniform with all of the complexity of something designed in the 23rd century. One of the ideas he came up with was that the uniform itself would signal to the ship’s computer if the wearer was permitted access to vital areas of a starship. And so Bob created the “Security Device”; that nifty doodad on the back of all the officer’s uniforms in the film. Nearly every character’s is different and they were created from of all things the wheels of World War II tank model kits. Using a modeling technique called “Kit bashing” the costume department took different sizes and shapes of wheels and gears and recombined them into the various “Security Devices” seen throughout the Star Trek films starring the Original cast.
I've seen those on the backs of the actors and kind of wondered about them, but I hadn't really noticed they were all different, and that they had an intended function is new to me.

Was this ever documented anywhere? like a fanzine tech manual? I don't remember this detail being in Mr. Scott's Guide for example (but it's been a long time since I've looked at it).
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 09:19 AM   #15
drt
Commander

I have never seen it mentioned anywhere before - I think the costume dept dreamed it up, then never told anyone.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote