Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 31 2014, 05:12 PM   #31
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April

(Post deleted).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.

Last edited by Harvey; January 31 2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Better deleted.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 06:42 PM   #32
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

When Wiseguy was finally released on dvd they had to replace a lot of background music. The worst instance was when they had to replace "Knights in White Satin" with an instrumental on the last episode of the Sonny Steelgrave arc. Sure it was a little upsetting but I never regretted buying the set since the alternative was probably never seeing the show again.
Old January 31 2014, 07:20 PM   #33
foxhot
Fleet Captain

NORTHERN EXPOSURE and WKRP IN CINCINATTI in particular suffered from similarly altered music. When Howard Hessman was informed of the changes, his reaction was essentially ''get over it.'' But it's harder to do so when you tamper with a classic. Les Nessman was deprived of his ''Hot Blooded'' song. WKRP fused the music with the humor. It's insane to separate them under any circumstances.

The original HSB ''complete'' Season One omitted a ten-second clip of characters singing ''Mr. Sandman.'' As old as that song is, could the rights have been that prohibitive?
Old January 31 2014, 09:39 PM   #34
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Possibly. There's a segment on the very first episode of Sesame Street where Gordon sings "Consider Yourself" (from the musical Oliver!)with a bunch of Everything Muppets; when this episode was released as part of the first Sesame Street: Old School collection, the segment was dropped.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 10:14 PM   #35
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Todd seems to have his hyperbole generator dialed up to 11. Releasing The Fugitive without the original music is a "betrayal of the public trust"?

The NSA tracking our phone calls for no good reason is a betrayal of the public trust. Congress holding the nation's good faith and credit hostage to make a political point is a betrayal of the public trust. Ignoring a national health crisis in the 1980s because gay sex made certain politicians feel icky was a betrayal of the public trust. Substituted music on a DVD... yeah, not so much.

The "Uncle Tom" reference: not very cool, either.
THIS (minus the part about the NSA tracking phone calls-that's its job, and it's been misinterpreted by a whiny crybaby so-called 'whistleblower' who could commit treason under the Obama administration, but not under the Bush one.)

The whole affair has most likely damaged any future attempts by Paramount to put old shows on DVD in other than a pressed format besides The Fugitive, as I've said before-who will want to bother doing that again other than for the crown jewels Star Trek, Hawaii Five-O (1968 series, now on Blu-Ray!), I Love Lucy/The Lucy Show, and maybe a few other old ones I can't remember now?

The music replaced probably wasn't as important to the show as the missing songs from WKRP In Cincinnati are to that set of DVD's because the songs were inserted by the writers (Hugh Wilson & co.) as part of the plot (the episode about the hairy time with the new transmitter and a possible storm with a crucial scene set to the coda of Foreigner's song ' Urgent' comes to mind)-I doubt that incidental music taken from stock cues in a music library come to mind.

Want to get angry? Get angry with the RIGHTS HOLDERS of said music for being such obdurate dicks and forcing CBS and Paramount Home Video to not be able to use said music (the same thing applies to any other DVD's from any other show that has music from other sources in it.) Paramount Home Video did not want to pay a lot of money for music rights for the DVD of an old TV series that might not sell a lot because it cost too much (although they've since rectified that situation.) That's all there is to it.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 03:31 AM   #36
the G-man
Commodore

Anyway, back to Hill Street blues. Was Hill Street the best TV show of all time? Probably not. As groundbreaking as it was, like a lot of network television it went a few seasons longer than it should've and the producers lost their way at times.

Overall I have to say there are number of TV shows that are technically better shows. The Sopranos, the shield, breaking bad, to name a few examples.

However, the first few seasons of Hill Street are every bit as good as those shows and sometimes maybe better. And not a single one of those shows probably would've gotten made if Hill Street hadn't started convincing people that television didn't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator to be a hit
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 07:28 PM   #37
J.T.B.
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
Anyway, back to Hill Street blues. Was Hill Street the best TV show of all time? Probably not. As groundbreaking as it was, like a lot of network television it went a few seasons longer than it should've and the producers lost their way at times.

Overall I have to say there are number of TV shows that are technically better shows. The Sopranos, the shield, breaking bad, to name a few examples.

However, the first few seasons of Hill Street are every bit as good as those shows and sometimes maybe better. And not a single one of those shows probably would've gotten made if Hill Street hadn't started convincing people that television didn't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator to be a hit
Of course there is no way to declare the best TV show ever, that's harmless hyperbole. But I'd say the above assessment is fair. In HSB's favor: Its originality, blazing the trail that other shows could follow, and the fact that it did it on a rigid network season schedule, which the other shows mentioned above did not. HSB produced more episodes in less than five calendar years than The Sopranos did in eight and The Shield did in seven. Daniel Travanti said he felt a show could only be really good for about four seasons on that schedule, it burned everyone out.

I've said this before, but the main thing that stands out about HSB to me is the breadth and depth of its character development. There were 13-14 so main ensemble (up to 15-16 in season 5!) and the viewer knew every one of them: their family and home life, their career ups and downs, who they got along with and who rubbed them the wrong way. And in addition, there was a whole stable of recurring characters who were almost as well developed: Irwin Bernstein, Chief Daniels, Jesus Martinez, Leo Schnitz (moved up to the main cast for part of S5), Al Wachtel, Jerry Fuchs, Robin Tataglia, Sid the Snitch, Ozzie Cleveland... Much of this was established with deft touches of dialogue, sometimes a minute or two of characters' non-plot-related conversation. I'm afraid this may make HSB seem slow and "talky" compared to the pace of more recent TV, but it really works for me. The only shows I've seen that could rival HSB in that respect were St. Elsewhere and The Wire.

Personally, I thought The Shield was OK but don't rank it with the greats. It started out unfocused, had a lot of filler, suggested some interesting ideas and then never explored them, and had some preposterous stuff, even for a TV cop show, that was just unbelievable. Take a career investigator with no managerial experience and one day make them the precinct captain, really? Some really great performances, though.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 09:55 PM   #38
the G-man
Commodore

Take a career investigator with no managerial experience and one day make them the precinct captain, really?
Welcome to government work.

Old February 3 2014, 11:25 PM   #39
foxhot
Fleet Captain

One thing that HILL STREET and THE SOPRANOS have in common is their convention-defying final episodes. Not that their approaches were THAT similar, but in different ways both endings suggested that ''life goes on'' by avoiding major conclusions. THE SOPRANOS did this visually, by withholding shots in the diner. Life may still go on for Tony.

As for HILL STREET, besides the firing of Dennis Franz's Lt. Buntz, the remaining plots of the final episode were in keeping with the show's general style, so overall we didn't get the feel of a final episode a la ''M*A*S*H'' or ''Mary Tyler Moore.'' In a strange way it made me accept the show had now ended. One year later ST. ELSEWHERE ended in with several major resolutions, and I was literally suffering withdrawal symptoms for months. Still, I don't think the autistic snow globe concept really worked as a whole.
Old February 17 2014, 06:21 PM   #40
tomswift2002
Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
ToddPence wrote: View Post
I would rather hear the news that I'd just tested positive for HIV than hear that Shout Factory had the rights to my favorite TV show. This is one of the worst DVD release companies out there, an amateurish outfit that has a history of botching the release of several classic shows. Keep your fingers crossed that HSB comes out okay.
Meh, Shout Factory isn't bad. For worst DVD company, my vote goes to Mill Creek. Worthless, unplayable disks that freeze up in various spots. I pissed away 70 bucks on Hunter The complete series from them a few years back and found their disks to be horrible.

And it's not just me. I've heard complaints from friends, friends of friends, family of friends, my own family, online reviews, pretty much anybody who ever paid for a Mill Creek release, no matter what it might be. And the complaints continue to this day.

I would also have to say that Alliance/Echo Bridge (formerly Platinum Disc Corporation) are the worst. On their release of "Bordertown" (1988-1991 CTV-CBN), which is suppose to be a "Complete Series" release, the 2nd episode of Season 1 is completely missing it's Teaser and opening credits; the Teaser sets up the whole plot for the episode. However, on an earlier "Best Of" release, the episode is complete. But, unlike the earlier release that only had 28 episodes across 4 discs (one disc has 2 episodes, the other discs have 7 or 8 half-hour shows), this complete series has 78 episodes crammed onto just 6 discs (13-14 episodes per disc).

But for Shout the worst I've seen has been "The Hardy Boys" Season 3 that was just released last-year. I don't blame Shout for the washed-out Syndication prints that were used, I blame Universal. Universal has not touched the original 35mm prints for these 10 episodes since 1979, and as a result, unless someone meets their high demands, all the broadcast and home video releases are derived from 16mm Syndication prints that were made in the 70's, and this is why the episodes look so terrible.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 08:00 PM   #41
J.T.B.
Commodore

I got the discs on Thursday and have been checking them out. Audio and video quality is good. You'd never mistake them for a re-mastered Blu-ray transfer, but they're in line with similar series-to-DVD releases. As far as I can tell the content is all there, I checked a couple of scenes that were missing from some bootlegs I've seen of UK-tv origin (a severed arm, Celestine Gray in The Chair, Belker naked after being beaten [and worse] by a gang of bums) and they were there. I don't know what episode the above-mentioned "Mr. Sandman" is in so I haven't checked it, but I suspect not: The first two seasons discs seem to be a straight carry-over from the 2006 Fox release. Teasers with Taurean Blacque's "Previously on Hill Street Blues..." are included. Packaging is standard quality, the artwork not exactly top-dollar, but adequate. The brochure and extras are fairly thin, compared to my Shout! Larry Sanders Show set, which seemed like a generally more elaborate production. There are some good interviews with Steven Bochco, some actors and some writers, but nothing that really breaks new ground. The booklet has a nice essay by Tom Shales on HSB's place in TV history.

So, all in all I am satisfied with the product as released.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 10:15 PM   #42
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Great. Thanks for the review.
Old March 30 2014, 07:28 AM   #43
Brolan
Commodore

I was a huge fan of HSB when it came out. It seemed gritty and more realistic than other police shows. Problem is police shows have advanced pretty far in the past decade and it just doesn't hold up against The Shield and The Wire.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 01:47 PM   #44
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Brolan wrote: View Post
I was a huge fan of HSB when it came out. It seemed gritty and more realistic than other police shows. Problem is police shows have advanced pretty far in the past decade and it just doesn't hold up against The Shield and The Wire.
It has been decades since I have seen the end of the run but as I remember it it seems to stand up, except for the gang summits which seemed like something out of West Side Story even during the original run.
Old March 30 2014, 04:56 PM   #45
the G-man
Commodore

foxhot wrote: View Post
One thing that HILL STREET and THE SOPRANOS have in common is their convention-defying final episodes. Not that their approaches were THAT similar, but in different ways both endings suggested that ''life goes on'' by avoiding major conclusions. THE SOPRANOS did this visually, by withholding shots in the diner. Life may still go on for Tony.
I think it's all but certain that life didn't go on for Tony, even before Gandolfini's untimely death.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I got the discs on Thursday and have been checking them out. Audio and video quality is good. You'd never mistake them for ....
Whoa. It's available already. I thought it didn't come out for another month?