Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 22 2014, 07:55 PM   #1
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April

HILL STREET BLUES: The Complete Series. It's official.

And probably we have the Shout Factory to thank for this.
Hopefully any omitted musical numbers from the previously ''complete'' first season will be restored.

PRISONER: CELL BLOCK H (in America) and ST. ELSEWHERE next, please....
Old January 22 2014, 08:06 PM   #2
ISP Zombie
Fleet Captain

View ISP Zombie's Twitter Profile
Re: Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April

Awesome! Now I can get a chance to see this great series in full.
Old January 22 2014, 11:46 PM   #3
J.T.B.
Commodore

Ordered mine back before Christmas. If you order direct from Shout! Factory you can get it in mid-March.

I suspect all will be correct, they seem to be pretty good for that. "Get A Life" had all the original music, which surprised me. Also "Larry Sanders," which had a lot of musical acts.

I really hope "St. Elsewhere" is in the pipeline, it's actually been longer since I've seen that than HSB. And another MTM great, "Lou Grant," I'd order that set on day one, too.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 11:49 PM   #4
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Shout! Factory has scored the Steven Bochco hat trick — in addition to Hill Street Blues, they released the long-delayed Season 5 of NYPD Blue yesterday, and also got the rights for a DVD release of L.A. Law.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 03:31 AM   #5
Lance
Commodore

It's been out in Australia for a while. I bought the complete boxset (Seasons 1-7) from a local DVD store. And it is awesome.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Festering Esper
Admiral

I've been rewatching it and I'm at the beginning of season 2. I've been trying to drag it out as long as possible so this is good news. The bad news is I won't be able to afford it.
Old January 24 2014, 03:08 AM   #7
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

I would rather hear the news that I'd just tested positive for HIV than hear that Shout Factory had the rights to my favorite TV show. This is one of the worst DVD release companies out there, an amateurish outfit that has a history of botching the release of several classic shows. Keep your fingers crossed that HSB comes out okay.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 03:17 AM   #8
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

this thread is not about Picket Fences, so the title is invalid
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 03:23 AM   #9
Harvey
Admiral

ToddPence wrote: View Post
I would rather hear the news that I'd just tested positive for HIV than hear that Shout Factory had the rights to my favorite TV show. This is one of the worst DVD release companies out there, an amateurish outfit that has a history of botching the release of several classic shows. Keep your fingers crossed that HSB comes out okay.
Really? What botched releases?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 05:25 AM   #10
J.T.B.
Commodore

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
I've been rewatching it and I'm at the beginning of season 2. I've been trying to drag it out as long as possible so this is good news. The bad news is I won't be able to afford it.
It is too bad because Netflix doesn't seem to bother with disc sets of old shows anymore. Hopefully before too long they will start to turn up second-hand, for more reasonable prices.

ToddPence wrote: View Post
I've never heard that. I have two complete series sets from them and am quite satisfied, and on the music side their English Beat set was superb at a pretty amazing price. Aside from quality, they seem to have a better handle on making a go of old properties than anyone else out there, and negotiating original music rights to boot. So I'll gladly take Shout!Factory over the status quo of two out-of-print seasons of HSB, and hope they keep at it.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 05:34 AM   #11
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

Oh, that is fantastic! I love Hill Street Blues!
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JINXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Lance wrote: View Post
It's been out in Australia for a while.
I wish I'd known that sooner. But no matter; I've just ordered my set.

It is indeed the greatest TV show ever (to date, anyway). It's about bloody time it made it to DVD.
Old January 25 2014, 03:40 AM   #13
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post

Really? What botched releases?

Possibly the most egregious example is when the company got the rights to All in the Family after Sony lost interest in releasing the series after season six. Shout inexplicably transfered the series, which had been originally shot on videotape, using a frame speed intended for film. The result was a Season 7 AITF release in which the action moved at a jerkily, unnatural pace almost as if Archie and Edith and Mike and Gloria were all claymation figures.
As amateurish as the above example is, it can be attributed to human error. Some of the company's other actions have smacked of deceit towards potential customers. Consider the case of the television series Rhoda, where prior to release SF spokesman Brian Ward claimed that all the episodes in the then-forthcoming DVD release would be all uncut, and that the company had worked hard to ensure that this was so. When Rhoda hit the market, it turned out that two-thirds of the episodes were cut for syndication and badly so. "I'll never forgive him (Ward) for the Rhoda Season 1 deception" wrote one Rhoda fan on hometheatreforums.
When Shout Factory acquired the rights from Route 66 from fly-by-night Image Entertainment, whose poor-quality season one DVDs of the series had been subject to much criticism, Shout planned a full series release. To mollify fans who had already bought Infinity's first three seasons (of four), Brian Ward strongly gave the impression through specific comments that the company would be remastering the entire series and the prints used would be completely different from what Infinity had earlier released. When concerns were raised about a syndicated cut episode from Infinity's set, Ward assured posters to SF's forum that "We are doing everything we can to make sure we have the complete episodes." When the set came out, it was found that all the episodes were exactly the same as the ones Infinity had released, including the cut for syndication episode, even though Columbia House had released an uncut pristine version of the same episode on VHS just a few years before. In my amazon review of "Route 66 The Complete Series" I described Shout Factory as a "cheap, lazy, and unethical company" - harsh words, but considering the circumstances, accurate.
SF has also released sets of the series Mr. Ed with syndicated cut episodes even though cable rerun stations have rerun uncut prints for years. These are just a few examples, I am sure there must be more.

I hope for the sake of HSB fans that your series gets the release it deserves. But, like I said earlier, I'd keep my fingers crossed.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 03:48 AM   #14
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

foxhot wrote: View Post
Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April
You're saying this on a Star Trek fan site...
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

J.T.B. wrote: View Post

I've never heard that.
Unless you go to websites like Home Theater Forum, you'll never hear all of the bitching that goes on at these sites about how classic TV shows have been butchered, but believe me, it's there.

These people act as if Shout Factory doesn't have to deal with music publishing companies or with the individuals that own the music used in many of the older shows, or that Shout Factory usually has to go with what they're given as far as prints are concerned-and they also don't care that Shout Factory is a small company that can't go splurging on TV shows to the exclusion of everything else.

So they sit on their bums and complain about how they've been betrayed by Shout Factory and other home video companies, when in certain cases like that of the (IMHO) non-debacle centered around the music of The Fugitive DVD sets (Season 2 & 3) being replaced by new music, they really should be going after the rights holder companies/individuals that control said music pieces and giving them a piece of their minds and also telling them to be not so greedy (the same should also go with the executives at the studios as well, and they should also go after the local TV stations and tell them to stop showing infomercials and start showing the reruns that they're supposed to be showing.)

I'd say that you should just ignore them when they say this about Shout Factory, but I don't think that it's a big deal.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote