RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,451
Posts: 5,508,291
Members: 25,132
Currently online: 561
Newest member: Commander Balok

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
Administration 7 20.59%
Cartography 3 8.82%
Counseling 4 11.76%
Engineering 13 38.24%
Intelligence 7 20.59%
Medical 2 5.88%
Operations 16 47.06%
Research and Development 10 29.41%
Security 2 5.88%
Science 12 35.29%
Tactical 11 32.35%
Neither - I'm a civilian at heart 2 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 23 2014, 05:31 AM   #16
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be cut out for a Starfleet career. I'd be more suited to being a Boomer. I can see myself as owning a civilian cargo freighter.
May be you could be the outrageous Okona?
Hardly.

I'd be more like Captain Keene from "Fortunate Son", I'd think.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

What would be one of my top choices was left out of the poll: ops manager, as in. what Data and Kim did, which I see as one-part science officer, one-part resource allocation and systems management, and one-part repair specialist. I would have included that on the poll and made flight control its own option, personally. Still, from what's there, I chose operations, tactical, and science (specializing in either astrophysics or planetary sciences in the latter case).

Note that I didn't base this on what I am in any way good at in real life, simply what I'd want to be given the premise.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be cut out for a Starfleet career. I'd be more suited to being a Boomer. I can see myself as owning a civilian cargo freighter.
It's interesting how what shows we've watched/grown up with/are fans of/etc influence how we read things. I've seen little ENT (and the last time I saw any was ages ago), and when I read your post, for just a moment, I envisioned something entirely different.
Vanyel wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
Is command something you can obtain out of Starfleet or something you work into from other positions?
There's a Command School at the Academy. I might be wrong, but I've always taken it that one would sort of major/minor in the schools. A few examples:

Spock dual-majored in Science and Command. Scotty majored in Engineering and dual minored in Command and Security. Data majored in Operations and minored in Command - which is why Shelby leapfrogged him for the Executive Officer's position in BOBW: she majored in Command, and minored in Tactics. Etc and so on.
I thought Shelby was made XO because Riker wanted everyone where they were, where Picard expected them to be. Making Shelby XO threw a curve ball at the Borg's knowledge of the Enterprise and it's crew. That and her expertise on the Borg made her the right choice for XO.
You are correct; Riker told Data he strongly considered him for XO, but went with Shelby, for exactly the reasons you list here. Still, more generally, Triumphant's idea about majoring and minoring in different disciplines makes sense, and I've always figured on something like that being the case.
__________________
Valocea - new map/info as of Oct 2014!
Nanowrimo 2014! Get hype!
Saito S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 10:19 AM   #18
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

I went for:
1. Operations (specifically Flight Control)
2. Tactical (point and shoot, nothing hard about that)
3. Science (specifically the Social Sciences)
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:09 PM   #19
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

Vanyel wrote: View Post
I thought Shelby was made XO because Riker wanted everyone where they were, where Picard expected them to be. Making Shelby XO threw a curve ball at the Borg's knowledge of the Enterprise and it's crew. That and her expertise on the Borg made her the right choice for XO.
Yeah, you're right. Well, right that that was the reason Riker gave. I really think he was just bigoted against androids.
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:47 PM   #20
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bountifulboxesjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
Is command something you can obtain out of Starfleet or something you work into from other positions?
There's a Command School at the Academy. I might be wrong, but I've always taken it that one would sort of major/minor in the schools. A few examples:

Spock dual-majored in Science and Command. Scotty majored in Engineering and dual minored in Command and Security. Data majored in Operations and minored in Command - which is why Shelby leapfrogged him for the Executive Officer's position in BOBW: she majored in Command, and minored in Tactics. Etc and so on.
Couldn't that mean they were prepared for command in their respected fields, not just a general command course. The people you listed may have been prepping for leadership but out of their field (Scotty commanding a science team) they would be lacking.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 04:13 PM   #21
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

^ Scotty never seemed to be lacking in command ability. He showed several times that he was an excellent commander. He could have been as good a CO as he was an engineer.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 06:27 PM   #22
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

of the ones give, I'd choose administration, research and development, and counseling. I'm a bureaucrat at heart, not an adventurer. I'd want a position that didn't involve lots of traveling and deep space.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 07:20 PM   #23
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bountifulboxesjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Scotty never seemed to be lacking in command ability. He showed several times that he was an excellent commander. He could have been as good a CO as he was an engineer.
He is. What I meant was you wouldn't choose Scotty for an away mission evolving scanning an area, which Spock would be better at with his science background regardless of the fact they both have command experience.

Last edited by bountifulboxesjeg; January 23 2014 at 11:08 PM.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 07:27 PM   #24
cal_nevari
Lieutenant Commander
 
cal_nevari's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

Well I went Intelligence (data analyst, not spa), R&D, and lastly, counseling.
cal_nevari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 09:48 PM   #25
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
I thought Shelby was made XO because Riker wanted everyone where they were, where Picard expected them to be. Making Shelby XO threw a curve ball at the Borg's knowledge of the Enterprise and it's crew. That and her expertise on the Borg made her the right choice for XO.
Yeah, you're right. Well, right that that was the reason Riker gave. I really think he was just bigoted against androids.
Wait... what?

(If you were just joking, then disregard.)
__________________
Valocea - new map/info as of Oct 2014!
Nanowrimo 2014! Get hype!
Saito S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 02:57 AM   #26
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

Saito S wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
I thought Shelby was made XO because Riker wanted everyone where they were, where Picard expected them to be. Making Shelby XO threw a curve ball at the Borg's knowledge of the Enterprise and it's crew. That and her expertise on the Borg made her the right choice for XO.
Yeah, you're right. Well, right that that was the reason Riker gave. I really think he was just bigoted against androids.
Wait... what?

(If you were just joking, then disregard.)
Half-joking. Not "bigoted", exactly, but I really don't think he thought that the situation they were in was a good time to test whether or not the artificial man could be a good exec - and I'm not sure he'd have had that doubt about a human crewman that had served with him for as long and in the same capacity.
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 04:06 AM   #27
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Saito S wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Yeah, you're right. Well, right that that was the reason Riker gave. I really think he was just bigoted against androids.
Wait... what?

(If you were just joking, then disregard.)
Half-joking. Not "bigoted", exactly, but I really don't think he thought that the situation they were in was a good time to test whether or not the artificial man could be a good exec - and I'm not sure he'd have had that doubt about a human crewman that had served with him for as long and in the same capacity.
If you were to argue that Starfleet in general, and not Riker in particular, would no doubt have some misgivings about Data being XO, then that's entirely possible. "The Offspring" takes place only shortly before BoBW, and shows that Starfleet is still shaky about some aspects of Data's status and rights as a sentient being (and of course, there's Christopher Hobson in "Redemption" later on - I believe his reaction to represent an extreme, not mainstream, reaction to Data being in command, but still, it shows that at least some in Starfleet would be uneasy about it).

But Riker, specifically? He would be less inclined to think poorly of the idea than the average non-Enterprise Starfleet officer, if anything, considering Data already is the 2nd officer on the Ent-D during the entirety of Riker's time on the ship and has been given command of the bridge several times when Riker and Picard are away. And of course, his feelings on Data were made pretty clear in "The Measure of a Man."
__________________
Valocea - new map/info as of Oct 2014!
Nanowrimo 2014! Get hype!
Saito S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 12:57 PM   #28
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander
 
Runetouch's Avatar
 
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

Me?
Engineering, Tactical or Intelligence.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 10:15 PM   #29
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

Saito S wrote: View Post
If you were to argue that Starfleet in general, and not Riker in particular, would no doubt have some misgivings about Data being XO, then that's entirely possible. "The Offspring" takes place only shortly before BoBW, and shows that Starfleet is still shaky about some aspects of Data's status and rights as a sentient being (and of course, there's Christopher Hobson in "Redemption" later on - I believe his reaction to represent an extreme, not mainstream, reaction to Data being in command, but still, it shows that at least some in Starfleet would be uneasy about it).
I thought that was just Hobson's POV and no one else's. Clearly Starfleet, as such, has no problem with Data being in command, otherwise they wouldn't have let him have one.

As much as we all love Data, though, I find it difficult to oppose Hobson, at least on principle. He has never served with Data before and so he couldn't be expected to know Data's command abilities. So therefore it's understandable that Hobson is uneasy about serving under Data.

Plus, if I were Hobson, I would have pointed out that Data's angry outburst against him (threatening to relieve him of command) has to be fake, since it's general knowledge that Data doesn't have emotions.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 10:50 PM   #30
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bountifulboxesjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)

^True, and Data can give simulated responses (that look emotional) in order to command or do anything evolving communication. When I saw that scene I hoped Data would learn his emotions like that (excluding that episode when he dated that girl). He just installs a chip though. Fun but less of a journey.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.