Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "The Corbomite Maneuver"
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 1 3.13%
7 5 15.63%
8 10 31.25%
9 7 21.88%
10 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22 2014, 11:33 PM   #16
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Episode of the Week : The Corbomite Maneuver

It still amazes me that this was the first regular episode of a new Science Fiction TV series. It's outstanding, I will give it a "12".

But I agree that the Bailey character doesn't look very credible (- 1.5) and I'm still annoyed that I find myself unable to rationalize the first turbo lift ride in my deck plan drafts (- 0.5), therefore I'll settle with a "10".

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:03 AM   #17
AtoZ
Commander

I've always loved this episode. Its what Trek was all about without any forays over the top (not that I didn't love THAT).

For me, the scene where Kirk's rushes off out of sickbay shirtless in his slippers, carrying his boots with a towel around his neck, amongst crew in a busy corridor as the bridge announcement reverberates, is a very well done and in a few ways, powerful scene. Its how I expect a busy starship to look in a moment of alert. It lends itself to size and power. We have the impression Kirk is a serious man, an important man with a unique function that belies unusual experience and merit.

Contrast all of that with the 3rd season corridor scenes.

I gave it an 8 though in reality it deserves maybe a little more.

BTW - why do I like the way Uhura looks in command gold/olive?
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:21 AM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

I loved Uhura in gold, That and seeing her man navigation once or twice suggested diverse knowledge and experience. In Seasons 2 and 3 I always thought Kirk should have handed her the con rather than Chekov. Uhura is a Lieutenant of more experience and greater rank while Chekov was a green Ensign---never made any sense.
Old January 23 2014, 12:29 AM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I loved Uhura in gold, That and seeing her man navigation once or twice suggested diverse knowledge and experience. In Seasons 2 and 3 I always thought Kirk should have handed her the con rather than Chekov. Uhura is a Lieutenant of more experience and greater rank while Chekov was a green Ensign---never made any sense.
I'm really struggling to remember a time where Chekov was in command? (Probably just old age catching up to me. )
Old January 23 2014, 12:37 AM   #20
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm really struggling to remember a time where Chekov was in command? (Probably just old age catching up to me. )
Chekov was never actually in command for any extended period. But near the end of "Journey To Babel" when Kirk leaves the bridge after the Orion ship is destroyed he says, "Mr. Chekov, take over." and effectively handing him the conn. Meanwhile Lieutenant Uhura, with greater rank and experience, is siting right there and by rights should have been the one given the conn. I think this happened at least once or twice more in Seasons 2 and 3.
Old January 23 2014, 12:45 AM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Chekov was never actually in command for any extended period. But near the end of "Journey To Babel" when Kirk leaves the bridge after the Orion ship is destroyed he says, "Mr. Chekov, take over." and effectively handing him the conn. Meanwhile Lieutenant Uhura, with greater rank and experience, is siting right there and by rights should have been the one given the conn. I think this happened at least once or twice more in Seasons 2 and 3.
Right you are.
Old January 23 2014, 03:05 AM   #22
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

The first post-pilot episode to be produced is a solid if not exceptional “bottle show” which builds upon the format and conventions established in the two previous pilots and concentrates on developing character within the framework of a straightforward yet engaging storyline.
With Kirk, Spock and Scott having had their presence established in “Where No Man”, the most significant new addition to the cast is of course, McCoy. Right away, DeForest Kelley forges a presence on the program and generates an immediate dynamic with Shatner, in a noticeable contrast to Paul Fix’s somewhat bland Dr. Piper character. And so the lead roles and the chemistry between them are already in full swing.
Faring less well are the lead female characters. After having a woman executive bridge officer in “The Cage” and a woman professional lead character in “Where No Man”, “Corbomite Maneuver” introduces the characters of Uhura and Rand. In this initial offering, the former acts as merely a switchboard operator and the latter as a stewardess. Fortunately, better roles in episodes lie ahead for both.
The central motivating force of the episode is the tense crisis faced by the Enterprise as they face a seemingly hostile threat from an unknown and apparently powerful foe, and how the crew and their fearless Captain face the crisis and search for a way to survive the “no-win situation”. This strategem ultimately emerges in the form of the brash bluff by Kirk which gives the episode its title. The irony is that the whole time the alien Balok is running an even greater bluff.
The tension in the episode as the Enterprise faces destruction is effectively conveyed, with a countdown to destruction presented in real-time (although a careful observer will note that Balok’s “minutes” are actually about ninety seconds in length) and the reactions of the bridge crew to the rapidly approaching deadline.
Another element which the episode puts forward is the gestalt of the program, the ideal of space exploration with an intent to discover alien life - and to seek understanding of and cooperation with that life even when it displays hostility. This is exemplified by Kirk’s initial attempts to reason with Balok when the alien threatens them, and then his decision to help Balok when the alien appears to be in distress, in spite of its previous animosity. “The Man Trap”, the first episode to actually air, did not quite convey those ideals as well as this episode does.
The major guest role, that of Navigator Bailey, help adds some realism to the characterization. His meltdown, however over the top some might view it, shows that the Enterprise crew is made up of human beings, not supermen.
The episode is also memorable for its iconic images in the form of the photographic effects - the multicolored cube, Balok’s ship made up of a thousand balls of glowing light, and of course the hideous Balok puppet itself.
On a side note Balok's treatment of the Enterprise seems kind of paranoid. Despite his technical superiority, he carries on his masquerade until he's absolutely sure the starship is friendly towards him. He even believes that all the voluminous data in the record banks might have been a fabrication! This episode reminds me thematically somewhat of The Twilight Zone fifth-season episode “The Fear.” Of course, “Corbomite” writer Jerry Sohl was closely associated with the Zone.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 04:24 AM   #23
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
At times it almost does seem as if it was written that way, what with lines like, "What's the mission of this vessel, Doctor? To seek out and contact alien life."
Not to mention Kirk's little pep talk to the crew on the intercom...reminding them of things that they should already know, for our benefit.
Old January 23 2014, 12:38 PM   #24
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

For me, it's 9 out of 10. A very good episode indeed, and I loved the ending. It wasn't anti-climatic, and yet, surprising.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 03:58 PM   #25
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Meanwhile Lieutenant Uhura, with greater rank and experience, is sitting right there and by rights should have been the one given the conn.
And Chekov should have taken care of all the ambassadors calling the Bridge (after that ride) and calm them down with stories from Mother Russia?

He had already taken over for Spock at the science station, so I'd say that was a good day for him to prove himself and added some "flavor", IMHO.

Bob
Old January 23 2014, 05:00 PM   #26
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

I think this is my favourite episode of Star Trek.
Just ahead of City because a lot of the regulars are given a chance to say or do things that reflects their roles on the ship and their personalities (with just a few lines of dialog).
- There's Sulu doing the countdown.
- There's Spock trying to tell Kirk hes sorry but not quite managing it
- There's McCoy standing his ground with Kirk
- There's Kirk being testy and stressed
- The meeting where the bridge officers are asked their opinions - which happened less and less
- And there's Kirk's solution

All great stuff IMO
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 05:26 PM   #27
Robert Comsol
Commodore

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
- The meeting where the bridge officers are asked their opinions - which happened less and less.
And what an excellent direction: just by putting a bridge officer there who had fallen asleep, this side detail conveyed to the viewer that at this stage they must have spent a lot of time trying to figure their way out of it.

Bob
Old January 23 2014, 05:31 PM   #28
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

His world of starship captains didn't admit women.

BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 05:37 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
His world of starship captains didn't admit women.
I think it more a case of writers' unconciousness chauvinism showing through.
Old January 24 2014, 07:53 PM   #30
Push The Button
Captain

One of the best of the bottle episodes, the cast and crew really hit it out of the park on their first regular season at-bat. I gave it a nine. The only other episode that I can recall having the same sort of feeling to it is Balance of Terror, which also featured a navigator with "issues".
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote