Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 24 2014, 01:09 AM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: reimagining the series

Warped9 wrote: View Post
The transporter is still a viable science fiction idea, and if you have to have one you can easily rethink how it's done. As said upthread imagine a portal much like the Iconian device seen in TNG's "The Last Outpost."
Just a nitpick: it was "Contagion".

But I think the rest of your post is spot on.
Old January 24 2014, 01:30 AM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

Setting SF literature aside there are all kinds of books and online sources that explore speculative sciences and technologies and some of them by reputable scientists as well as SF authors. There's a wealth of resource available as a jumping off point and it shouldn't be that hard to build on it.

Part of the reason I wasn't wowed by Avatar was because I read about all the ideas in it ten to tweny years earlier. That and the cutesy oversized smurf aliens.

Last edited by Warped9; January 24 2014 at 03:17 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 03:03 AM   #33
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

The speed at which the rate of change is accellerating is increasing. I think we cannot imagine what humanity will be like in even 100 years. Certainly we will be augmented, which will be an outmoded idea by then and I think it likely we will be mentaly linked. Roddenberry in his last interviews thought so, that a more directly linked social organism was inevitable, but that the Borg had to be vilified for tv.
Old January 24 2014, 04:01 AM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

Well some ideas might not work for humanity in TV and film SF because the general audience might not identify with it so you use the idea with an alien race. Your heroes in particular have to be accessible and identifiable to the viewers.
Old January 24 2014, 12:26 PM   #35
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Runetouch wrote: View Post
I would be glad if we get a new Star Trek series, but I would rather that we get one in the Prime Timeline, set after the destruction of Romulus and focusing on not only Starfleet but the Klingons and surviving Romulans as well.
I don't care about the Klingons or the surviving Romulans, I want a series that has bigger-than-life heroes exploring the final frontier.
Wouldn't that essentially be the same thing again? I mean, a series focusing on other races rather then Starfleet might be an interesting thing.
Personally, I would want two Star Trek shows-one focusing on the traditional Star Trek stuff-Starfleet, exploration and philosophy, and the other focusing on the other races.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 02:58 PM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
I would be glad if we get a new Star Trek series, but I would rather that we get one in the Prime Timeline, set after the destruction of Romulus and focusing on not only Starfleet but the Klingons and surviving Romulans as well.
I don't care about the Klingons or the surviving Romulans, I want a series that has bigger-than-life heroes exploring the final frontier.
Wouldn't that essentially be the same thing again? I mean, a series focusing on other races rather then Starfleet might be an interesting thing.
Personally, I would want two Star Trek shows-one focusing on the traditional Star Trek stuff-Starfleet, exploration and philosophy, and the other focusing on the other races.
I just want Star Trek to be "Star Trek". The name kinda says it all for me. I don't care for them trying to squeeze other types of shows into the Star Trek format. If I want a series that is a political drama, I'll want a series to watch that is a political drama not a political drama wearing Star Trek's "clothes" (same goes for other formats). The beauty of Star Trek's format is that you can tell all different kinds of stories without attaching yourself long-term to any of them.

I want Star Trek to have a sense of fun and adventure. I don't care about the mechanics of the Federation government nor do I care about the dynamics of the Romulan or Klingon cultures outside of how it affects their interactions with our heroes.

YMMV.
Old January 24 2014, 03:21 PM   #37
Warped9
Admiral

^^
Old January 25 2014, 02:43 AM   #38
plynch
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Well some ideas might not work for humanity in TV and film SF because the general audience might not identify with it so you use the idea with an alien race. Your heroes in particular have to be accessible and identifiable to the viewers.
very agreed, I just went tangent
Old January 25 2014, 03:02 AM   #39
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

I think a rebooted Star Trek should have been done before, and instead of Abrams getting hold of the franchise.
Ive always argued with fellow Star Trek fans of my age that it would have been a great move to recast the original characters for a long term series, with the best available Sci Fi writers on board who wouldnt have fucked with timelines and alternative universes etc.

Enterprise sort of paved the way with exciting special effects that could have been developed for a new imagining of the Original Series, old friends and old foes could have been revisited.

I think the boat has been missed now, but it would have been good and interesting to see a new triumverate of Kirk, Spock and Bones grow as characters with new actors in the roles.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 03:19 AM   #40
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

If I were bringing TOS back to TV, I wouldn't remake the original episodes. I'd just set the first episode of the new series the week after "Turnabout Intruder" ( or "The Counter-Clock Incident"). New cast, new costumes, new sets, new SFX but the same "continuity". And no, I would not explain any changes. They just are.
Old January 25 2014, 05:42 AM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

I know I trot this out every now and then when this topic comes up, but I'll say it again. I'd be curious to explore the road not taken: an animated series picking up after "The Cage." Tweak the characters and add some new ones. There's a decades worth of stories before the Kirk era. Marvel Comics' Early Voyages was an interesting experiment giving us a glimpse into that era and more could be done.

An advantage is that "The Cage" characters are largely blank canvases since we only saw them once so you wouldn't have to think about reinterpreting established characters. Even Spock---the lone familiar character---would be in state of evolution from his younger days.

You also wouldn't have to worry about aesthetics in terms of production standards because "The Cage"/TOS would be ideal for animation.

One writer I think could be interesting to contribute a story or two would be John Byrne. His TOS stuff for IDW Comics is usually quite good.

C'mon, CBS, make it happen.
Old January 25 2014, 06:39 AM   #42
Creepy Critter
Admiral

When I first heard a blurb about ENT, I (naturally, I thought) assumed that it would take place on April's or Pike's Enterprise.

There's a lot of room in Prime Universe continuity for TOS/TNG-y type adventures that involve a crew that's something like a cross between TOS's and TNG's and that's on a ship that's more or less Kirk's Enterprise. Spock served with Captain Pik(ard) for over eleven years, and that's more than enough time in-universe for a whole series.
Old January 25 2014, 08:16 AM   #43
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
With the success the new trek has been,i was wondering if it would work with the series and have the cast reprise their roles for tv and remake all 78 epsiodes,ok it will look good and better special effects but would it have the same impact the original series have today?.
A few years ago they launched a comic book series that 're-imagines' all the TOS episodes with the new versions of the TOS crew. These might give you an idea of how your idea might be realized. The ones I read weren't awful, nor were they all that interesting. Not sure if it's still going. Guys?
It's still going, and I get the issues in my pull-box at my local comic book store every month. And the remade stories (plus new stories) are great, IMHO. Check it out.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 05:12 PM   #44
plynch
Commodore

Delta Vega wrote: View Post
with the best available Sci Fi writers on board
we can dream
Old January 25 2014, 05:29 PM   #45
Warped9
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
Delta Vega wrote: View Post
with the best available Sci Fi writers on board
we can dream
When TOS did it it wasn't all roses. SF writers can have their own egos and that can include not being able to see things from the series' vision perspective. Hence Roddenberry rewriting a good number of early stories to have them fit Star Trek as he envisioned it. The SF writers could come up wth good ideas (which make them ideal for anthology series), but they have to be able to see the bigger picture when it comes to a regular series and check their egos at the door.

It might be better to simply have a solid SF writer as a conceptual consultant much like Harlan Ellison was on Babylon 5.