RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,693
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 545
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 6 2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness DVD & Blu-Ray Sales

It should be noted that in the realm of Home Theater Media enthusiasts those things matter (as they do to me).

I can totally see people not caring about special features or things like that.

Keep in mind that sites like that and others in that particular subset don't just view the movie and the quality of the film or the transfer, they look at the whole package compared to other released titles.

There has been standards set by other companies and other releases giving the fans more bang for their buck. I've got to agree, in terms of getting getting more bang for your buck STID pales in comparison to even the first JJ film which had a ton of bonus content.

So in saying it was a terrible release, they are just saying compared to the industry standard STID Bu-Ray release was a let down. Still sold a lot of copies, still a great movie, just a let down compared to what you can get (if such things matter to you).
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 08:41 PM   #17
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I used to be at HTF but left long ago because of the attitude there.

But the handling of the extras for STID is still a pretty bad indicator of how the studios treat their product and their consumer base. This could have been a contender for Best Bluray, instead of a footnote.
Old February 7 2014, 12:17 AM   #18
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
It should be noted that in the realm of Home Theater Media enthusiasts those things matter (as they do to me).

I can totally see people not caring about special features or things like that.

Keep in mind that sites like that and others in that particular subset don't just view the movie and the quality of the film or the transfer, they look at the whole package compared to other released titles.

There has been standards set by other companies and other releases giving the fans more bang for their buck. I've got to agree, in terms of getting getting more bang for your buck STID pales in comparison to even the first JJ film which had a ton of bonus content.

So in saying it was a terrible release, they are just saying compared to the industry standard STID Bu-Ray release was a let down. Still sold a lot of copies, still a great movie, just a let down compared to what you can get (if such things matter to you).
I understand all that, yes, and I did consider it in that context. That given, I suspect that calling it the worst (or even second-worst) Blu-Ray package of the whole year might still be just a teensy bit hyperbolic.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 01:26 AM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

The question is what do we as consumers expect feature wise on a DVD/BR. Sure some are happy with more a less a vanillia release, others prefer releases loaded with extras. I enjoy listening to commentary tracks, and making of features. In the days when On Demand services you have to want people to go to the expense of buying a DVD/BR, sure I can understand a DVD release being a vanillia release but what the studios should do is load the BR with features so as to get people to migrate to the new medium. Though what I think is more annoying than a lack of bonus features is where they are released as exclusives availble from only a certain retailer. I view that as nothing more than a shameless attempt to rip fans off in the hopes that they'll double or even triple dip.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 01:46 AM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Though what I think is more annoying than a lack of bonus features is where they are released as exclusives availble from only a certain retailer. I view that as nothing more than a shameless attempt to rip fans off in the hopes that they'll double or even triple dip.
The retailers actually pay for those exclusive releases (video games have been doing it for near a decade now). They see it as a way to drive traffic to their stores. Based on the fact that Star Trek Into Darkness sold pretty well, I imagine we'll see more similar releases in the future.
Old February 7 2014, 02:37 AM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Ya, know...I'll look at a Super-Duper Deluxe Edition with Mega-Extra and drool (IE: The LotR Special Edition Sets). But, then I find once I get it, I barely bother with the Extras, maybe once and sometimes not even that, if you have to play a bunch of stupid games to get to the Extras). Deleted Scenes are probably the most religiously viewed that first time, for me

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 07:29 PM   #22
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Home cinema has been a passion of mine since the late 80's. My wife cringes at the money I'm constantly dropping on upgrading! For me, as an enthusiast, video/audio quality is of paramount importance - bonus content is extremely low on my list of priorities.
Old March 1 2014, 09:15 AM   #23
Devon
Fleet Captain

Update:
As of November 17 its combined U.S. sales for DVD & BluRay:

20 Star Trek Into Darkness 27,049 2,356,756 $631,470 $50,585,123 10

Also something that might be of interest to all of you...
http://investor.rentrak.com/released...leaseID=825897

Star Trek was #3 in 2013 for Rentals and Digital Purchases.

According to iTunes, it was the #4 best selling film of 2013.

1. Skyfall
2. Wreck-It Ralph
3. Argo
4. Star Trek Into Darkness
5. Django Unchained
6. Silver Linings Playbook
7. Iron Man 3
8. The Hobbit
9. Identity Thief
10. World War Z

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/...e?id=763140884 (Warning, may open iTunes)