Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 10 2014, 01:33 PM   #46
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: The Musketeers - BBC 2014 Adaptation.

I've watched one and a half episodes. Series link's still saving them but really not interested.

Jr won't let me delete them, but doesn't seem in a hurry to watch them either...
Old February 10 2014, 01:39 PM   #47
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Yeah, so far we've taken almost all week to watch each episode and not really enjoyed any of them, so time to give up.
Old February 10 2014, 01:42 PM   #48
Starkers
Admiral

Well as I'm at work I had to watch that with the subtiles on, so I may have missed something startling in the telling, but they seem to be having a go at the pilot for using well known tropes, well fair enough but hardly the only show to do that and you could probably make the same arguments about episodes of most shows.

But if it doesn't engage with you there's no way around that really. I can see the arguments about it being generic, but again I think most things are to a greater or lesser degree and we are only four episodes in, and I'd actually say the latest episode was the best (whilst last weeks may have been the worst). I can see where Guy's coming from as well, but at the moment they're still filling in back stories for the characters, so we're going to get long lost friends showing up. Four episodes in I think that's acceptable, if they're still doing it by the end of the series I may think differently.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 01:54 PM   #49
Relayer1
Commodore

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Yeah, so far we've taken almost all week to watch each episode and not really enjoyed any of them, so time to give up.
Yeah, but the worrying thing is, I'm doing that with more and more shows. Merlin, Atlantis, Robin Hood, Grimm, Continuum, Sleepy Hollow, Falling Skies, Tomorrow People, loads more - the list goes on. Sometimes I've sat through several seasons before admitting I'm wasting my time.

I'm still 'in' on Revolution and Defiance, but can see me dumping them as well. I just don't seem to be enjoying the new shows anymore...
Old February 10 2014, 01:54 PM   #50
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Trouble is it feels like they had another Merlin/Atlantis on their hands and then just threw in a bit more sex and violence to make it an "Adult" show and it doesn't even live up to the quality of Merlin.
Old February 10 2014, 01:58 PM   #51
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Yeah, but the worrying thing is, I'm doing that with more and more shows. Merlin, Atlantis, Robin Hood, Grimm, Continuum, Sleepy Hollow, Falling Skies, Tomorrow People, loads more - the list goes on. Sometimes I've sat through several seasons before admitting I'm wasting my time.

I'm still 'in' on Revolution and Defiance, but can see me dumping them as well. I just don't seem to be enjoying the new shows anymore...
Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw through all of Voyager and Enterprise, 5 seasons of Dexter, even caught up with the last 3 of Dexter on Netflix and I'll watch through shows I've already seen rather than watch a lot of new shows. I guess it's like Hollywood, they've got to the point where they think they've got a formula for success so everything becomes bland.
Old February 10 2014, 02:02 PM   #52
Starkers
Admiral

I made it through most of Atlantis befre admitting to myself that I just didn't like it. I'll give most shows a chance at least but I jump ship far more quickly than I used to do.

I don't think The Musteteers was ever supposed to be a Saturday early evening show, or if it was it must have been retooled very early on in it's gestation.

Old February 10 2014, 02:09 PM   #53
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Oh, I don't mean it was supposed to be but a little less and violence and it very much in the same vein as those shows.

Yeah, I'm the same. I'll give most shows a chance but I've got quicker to give up. Though I'm more likely to sit through more episodes of something if I can marathon it.
Old February 10 2014, 03:31 PM   #54
Lonemagpie
Writer

It would pass for an 8pm show, same as Atlantis would pass as a 6pm show.

They had a brief nip-slip this week, but it's still pretty fucking far from the likes of Da Vinci's Demons or Game Of Thrones in terms of including nudity or swearing.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 06:09 PM   #55
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Good News, Starkers. It's been picked up for a second series.

From The Telegraph

The Musketeers is to return for a second TV series, the BBC has confirmed.

The drama is an adaptation of Alexandre Dumas's 1844 novel, The Three Musketeers. Set in 17th-century Paris, it depicts the adventures of D'Artagnan (Luke Pasqualino), Athos (Tom Burke), Aramis (Santiago Cabrera) and Porthos (Howard Charles), a "crack team of highly trained soldiers" protecting King Louis XIII of France (Ryan Gage).

All four of the musketeers will return for series two. However, Peter Capaldi, who plays the villainous Cardinal Richelieu, is not expected to return due to his filming commitments on Doctor Who.

The controller of BBC One, Charlotte Moore, said: “Drama in 2014 has got off to a great start on BBC One and The Musketeers has really brought something fresh and new to the channel. I can't wait to see how things will develop in the next series."
Old February 10 2014, 11:45 PM   #56
Starkers
Admiral

Yes, oddly someone posted this on the Who forum earlier (for obvious reasons).

Old March 3 2014, 09:56 AM   #57
Starkers
Admiral

Not sure who's still watching but I thought this week's was probably the best episode so far. No mysterious person from one of the Musketeer's past (though we did learn a little bit more about Aramis) some proper intrigue, and I like how the Musketeers were actually on top of the plot from the get go rather than bumbling around like fools, it makes a refreshing change.

The cast were uniformly as excellent as always, the interplay between the four leads is really good, and although he didn't have a lot to do I love how Capaldi sweeps around the place with his big long cape like he's Darth Fricken Vader! Special mention to the King as well, his mardy schoolboy act was brilliant...I especially loved it when he just ran upstairs.

I can't beleive it took me most of the episode to recognise Tara Fitzgerald though!

Old March 3 2014, 03:31 PM   #58
Lonemagpie
Writer

It was OK this week, A Team quotes and all.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 04:06 PM   #59
Starkers
Admiral

Yes I wasn;t sure about the A-Team joke, though the painful payoff was amusing!

The amusing thing as well last night was that before The Musketeers I'd watched BSG Blood and Chrome. I honestly spent the first ten minutes thinking "Where do I know young Adama from?"

Last edited by Starkers; March 3 2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 4 2014, 09:45 AM   #60
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

I told Deckerd the main reason she's watching Musketeers was because she fancied Adama, I think I confused her.