Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 30 2014, 10:56 PM   #76
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Starfleet Starship Insignia was all supposed to be the same?

Maurice wrote: View Post
Or, the ship's laundry just makes you a uniform with all the appropriate insignia and ribbons.
Yep, this is what I always assumed.
Old January 30 2014, 11:44 PM   #77
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
We never really get to see the results of Justman's memo because it came at the tail end of Season 2 production, and the only Season 3 non-Enterprise Starfleet people we see (if I recall correctly) are the dead crew of the Defiant.
Actually I think that what we saw or actually didn't see in "The Tholian Web" was a straight result from this memo.

All the extras were positioned not to show the insignia (two bodies in sickbay, however, show the delta).
Either that's a compromise they agreed upon to appease Bob Justman or he just said - no more budget for new costumes...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 08:41 AM   #78
CrazyMatt
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
All the extras were positioned not to show the insignia (two bodies in sickbay, however, show the delta).
Either that's a compromise they agreed upon to appease Bob Justman or he just said - no more budget for new costumes...

Bob
The latter must have played a factor... a number of the Defiant crew are seen in velour shirts, which were no longer in regular use in Season 3.
Old January 31 2014, 08:50 AM   #79
Maurice
Vice Admiral

As Justman said "no more new insignia for Starships" then there was no reason to hide anything, and the fact that we see a few bodies where the insignia is visible when they could easily have hidden it indicates there was likely no effort to hide it at all. I swear, sometimes people read too much intent into things like how bodies are laid around.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 12:45 PM   #80
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Please feel free to help yourself and check out the "Tholian Web" screencaps at Trekcore.

The one thing that is obvious, is that they carefully positioned the overwhelming majorities of extras in a fashion to hide the insignia. That's a red thread from Defiant's bridge down to sickbay and from there to "life-support" and engineering.

There are only two extras in sickbay where the delta is discernible in HD, but on a standard TV set of the 1960's it was practically impossible or difficult to see.

Since a different starship insignia had been shown in "The Omega Glory" (inspiring the infamous Justman memo), not to reveal the insignia of the Defiant was obviously a perfect solution to the issue, left for future generations to be discussed. ()

Bob
Old January 31 2014, 04:21 PM   #81
J.T.B.
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I suspect that that secretary or whatever with the arrowhead in "The Menagerie" was just a costuming blunder that fell through the cracks, and even if someone along the line caught it, it wasn't considered important enough to fix and/or they decided no viewer would notice or care.
No doubt. But in-universe... Suppose Starfleet is divided into "fleet" and "base," or "space" and "ground, " or "fleet operations" and "fleet support," or whatever you prefer ("outpost" might be a further category). "Fleet" personnel wear the insignia of their unit (fleet, squadron, command, whatever you prefer), "base" wear the flower badge. But starbases support operating units, so it would be understandable if there was some overlap of "fleet" personnel working at the base, even though they might ultimately report to a different command than the "base" personnel.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 04:24 PM   #82
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I suspect that that secretary or whatever with the arrowhead in "The Menagerie" was just a costuming blunder that fell through the cracks, and even if someone along the line caught it, it wasn't considered important enough to fix and/or they decided no viewer would notice or care.
No doubt. But in-universe... Suppose Starfleet is divided into "fleet" and "base," or "space" and "ground, " or "fleet operations" and "fleet support," or whatever you prefer ("outpost" might be a further category). "Fleet" personnel wear the insignia of their unit (fleet, squadron, command, whatever you prefer), "base" wear the flower badge. But starbases support operating units, so it would be understandable if there was some overlap of "fleet" personnel working at the base, even though they might ultimately report to a different command than the "base" personnel.
Wow, so like a liaison officer? I'm sold.
Old February 1 2014, 09:20 AM   #83
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I see one in the Emergency Manual Monitor, two in the Sickbay ward, and one laying on the examination table chest up with the insignia side turned towards the camera. If they were trying to hide them they'd never have positioned the lattermost in that way.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 1 2014, 12:59 PM   #84
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I don't know what is is you are seeing, but except for the one redshirt strapped onto a sickbay bed, everything else is essentially the reflection of some kind of indiscernible insignia.

Had there really been any intention to clearly reveal the [delta] insignia of the Defiant crew I would have expected to see something like aboard the Exeter in "The Omega Glory".

Bob
Old February 1 2014, 09:49 PM   #85
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The trouble here is that this is all presumption. Minus memos or statements either way there's no way to know for certain. My point is simply Justman handed down the edict that starship crews wear the arrowheads, not other badges, and next time we see a starship crew, lo, they bear the approved insignia and several of them are face up with the badges unobstructed. I'm willing to entertain the idea that maybe they didn't want to draw attention to them, but likewise you should be willing to consider it's perhaps just a coincidence of the way the bodies were positioned. Either is not a "fact".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 2 2014, 12:37 AM   #86
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

The female in the blue uniform (by the small overturned table) not only is face up, but the way the light is catching her Delta insignia makes it especially visible.

And this isn't just something you can see on High-def or Blu-ray, it's very apparent on normal-def TV as well.

And there's this guy laying in a sickbay bed, face up, insignia fully on display.

Last edited by T'Girl; February 2 2014 at 12:53 AM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 01:03 AM   #87
Christopher
Writer

But then "In a Mirror, Darkly" went and contradicted this by giving the Defiant uniforms a distinct insignia, based on the Starfleet Command chevron that was often seen on the wall behind admirals on the viewscreen, and that's part of the "racing stripes" on the side of the Enterprise engineering hull.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 01:50 AM   #88
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I so prefer the every-ship-with-its-own idea. Same rank braids and division colors across starfleet, but each ship gets to take a little pride in itself when interacting with people from different vessels.
Old February 2 2014, 02:33 AM   #89
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But then "In a Mirror, Darkly" went and contradicted this by giving the Defiant uniforms a distinct insignia, based on the Starfleet Command chevron that was often seen on the wall behind admirals on the viewscreen, and that's part of the "racing stripes" on the side of the Enterprise engineering hull.
Probably because folks like Mike Okuda, who "came up" through fandom thought all ships had unique emblems. Until the Justman memo came to light, I think 99.9% of fandom thought that. I know I did. The myth about posing the bodies on the Defiant to hide the delta took root decades ago and I'm sure those in charge of costuming for ENT thought they were righting a wrong cause by a limited budget.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 02:50 AM   #90
Harvey
Admiral

There is a part of one of the picture-in-picture commentaries on season one by Okuda (and others) where they point out the arrowhead emblem showing up on officers from other ships in "Court Martial" -- although that was recorded after "In A Mirror Darkly" was made.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote