Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 16 2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

The Adam West/Burt Ward Batman show is finally being released on home video!

I wonder if they found a way to include the wall-climbing cameos and the Green Hornet eps, or if they are being edited out?

Last edited by Turtletrekker; January 16 2014 at 04:07 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 03:04 AM   #2
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

I hope nothing's edited out. It's usually a deal breaker for me.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 03:41 AM   #3
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I'm sure they will screw it up. lol
Old January 16 2014, 04:00 AM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

This is great news! I *almost* bought bootlegs at a con a couple years ago but I wanted to wait for an official release. God, I hope this release is unadulterated and is 100% intact.
Old January 16 2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I hope northing's edited out. It's usually a deal breaker for me.
Most likely, what can be kept, will be, what won't, won't.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

If they were just going to edit things out this would have happened a lot sooner.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

This news is the best thing all week. I adore the show. Watched as a kid. And now that I have one, I can't wait to show it to him.
Old January 16 2014, 11:24 PM   #8
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I hope this is true, but for now, my attitude is "I'll believe it when I see it".
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 07:53 AM   #9
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
This news is the best thing all week. I adore the show. Watched as a kid. And now that I have one, I can't wait to show it to him.
The thing is, this version of Batman is a result of the CCA rules that itself was brought into being by what the idiot Fredric Wertham did with his stupid book. A better thing to show your son would be Batman: The Animated Series instead, followed by The Batman and Justice League, and to not sugarcoat what the character is. But, you'll do what you want to, I'll guess.

RandyS wrote: View Post
I hope this is true, but for now, my attitude is "I'll believe it when I see it".
I'm of the same mindset myself (except I don't want it to come out at all) but it seems like this is going to happen.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 04:05 PM   #10
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

It was campy fun to a lot of us. I've watched BTAS along with it and I know they're two different things.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I love the old campy Batman and the new figures coming out from Hot Toys for this show are just incredible!
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 04:50 PM   #12
RandyS
Vice Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
It was campy fun to a lot of us. I've watched BTAS along with it and I know they're two different things.
Yep. Back in 2009, I did a re-watch of both the 1966 show (DVD-R's of my old VHS tapes from 1989) and Batman: The Animated Series (one episode of both a day for three months or so), and yeah, they ARE two different things.

But both were equally good.
Old January 17 2014, 04:54 PM   #13
RandyS
Vice Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I'm of the same mindset myself (except I don't want it to come out at all) but it seems like this is going to happen.
I've heard that so many times the past few years, which is why I have a "wait and see" attitude, but as I said, I hope it's true this time.

And I REALLY like the idea of a complete series set. After all the false announcements, it would be annoying to have to wait an additional year and a half or so for the three seasons to come out individually.

Why don't you want it to come out at all?
Old January 17 2014, 05:00 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

What a lot of people don't realize is that the Batman TV series of different generations are different things because the Batman comics of those respective generations were different things. The Batman comics of the '50s and '60s were just as goofy and comical and campy as the '66 TV series -- often even more so, since the TV series didn't have Bat-Mite and Ace the Bat-Hound and aliens and time travel and Superman and Batman competing for Lois Lane's affections or playing convoluted and borderline-psychotic pranks on one another. But the comics started to change and become more serious in the '70s, and by the '90s they were quite solemn and dark and gritty. (Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns was originally a work of profound revisionism, deconstructing the goofy and fanciful elements of Batman comics by taking the characters and the world to the darkest imaginable extreme, but every Batman writer for decades thereafter treated it as their model for the "right" way to write Batman.) So B:TAS reflected the style and tone of the comics from the previous two decades, just as the '66 series had in its day. They're both equally authentic to the Batman of their own eras.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 05:28 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Why don't you want it to come out at all?
Maybe he just doesn't want it to come out in butchered form.

I mean, we've all heard about all the legal wranglings involved in getting this show released on DVD. The characters (IIRC, separate companies owned the rights to the actual characters vs. the show itself), the Batmobile, the costumes, the cameos (i.e. the 'wall climbing' scenes - those were unpaid walk-ons, which IIRC they don't have the rights to), that sort of thing. And we're supposed to believe that they've all been resolved now? Like you just said: I'll believe it when I see it.

If they have to butcher this show and chop it up into bits that have been sanitized of all things that are legally questionable, maybe it'd just be better to not release it at all. A butchered show is worse than no show at all, especially something as iconic as this one. I mean, it was bad enough that they had to remove the music from Quantum Leap. They'd have to remove a lot more than just the music from Batman. Unless they really have got all the rights issues worked out - which I'm skeptical of - they'd have to remove so much that there'd hardly be anything left...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote