Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 20 2014, 01:11 AM   #61
mythme
Commodore

Re: Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

They're sitting on a "lost" animated episode. I think anyone who is even remotely interested in TAS, and quite a lot of Trek fans in general will want to pick it up just to see the Original cast in a new adventure, no matter whether its done in in the old Filmation style, anime or computer animation. Anyone recall the recalled video game the Secret of Vulcan Fury announced back in the late 90s? It had the entire cast doing vocals for it. The plotline was even written by D.C. Fontana, so you know she adhered to canon. It centered around the Vulcan/Romulan schism and an attempt by the latter to retake Vulcan. Take that vocal track and animate it!!!! I would buy (rebuy) the Animated Series again in a heartbeat if this was included
Old January 20 2014, 01:16 AM   #62
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

But who has those tracks? I don't think anyone at Paramount or CBS has them. Probably sitting in the basement of some former Interplay employee.
Old January 20 2014, 01:23 AM   #63
mythme
Commodore

Well if Fontana wrote it, I'm sure she would have some pull in regard to how its used. Interplay games is still in business. I'm sure the tracks are accessible.
Old January 20 2014, 01:29 AM   #64
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

mythme wrote: View Post
Well if Fontana wrote it, I'm sure she would have some pull in regard to how its used. Interplay games is still in business. I'm sure the tracks are accessible.
I doubt Fontana would have any pull in that regard. I pretty sure Interplay folded or declared bankruptcy a few years ago. There is still an Interplay but I don't think it has any connection to the Interplay of the late-90's.
Old January 20 2014, 01:36 AM   #65
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I suspect the stuff recorded for the videogame would need the gameplay itself to have he correct context.
Old January 20 2014, 01:46 AM   #66
mythme
Commodore

part of the reason why the game was cancelled was that it was too complex. there are probably several contingencies as to how the story develops but I don't really see how the story would be that dependent on gameplay.
Old January 20 2014, 01:48 AM   #67
Harvey
Admiral

Storytelling for videogames doesn't simply transfer over to television storytelling. You'd probably have to do a major re-write, which would negate the value of the original cast recordings.

It would be fun to have that game completed, but that's probably a fantasy.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 01:56 AM   #68
mythme
Commodore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx-kqrm_zg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZT_qg0jH0U

Here are two trailers from the game. You can get a definite feel for it, especially in the second one. The computer animation for the game wasn't bad, more so in light that it was done 15 years ago.
Old January 20 2014, 02:01 AM   #69
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Having worked in video and computer games since the late 80s I can tell you that:
  1. Stuff gets lost all the time, especially old files for abandoned projects
  2. Writers rarely have any say in how the work is used. Most of it is "work for hire". We pay you once. You do it. We do what we want with it (within the restrictions/approvals of any licenses).
  3. Since the game was never finished and the Trek game licenses are with other companies, to do anything with this material you'd have to
    • find it
    • pay whoever owns the recordings to release it to you (unless the rights to the actual data lapsed back to Paramount, depending on the contract)
    • get a new license to use those tracks and story in a new product
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 02:12 AM   #70
Creepy Critter
Admiral

mythme wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx-kqrm_zg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZT_qg0jH0U

Here are two trailers from the game. You can get a definite feel for it, especially in the second one. The computer animation for the game wasn't bad, more so in light that it was done 15 years ago.
Thanks for that. I really appreciate it.

Interesting that they botched the opening monologue ("discover" instead of "seek out"). I can see why this project was canceled. It's pretty obvious that they were reaching for something that was beyond their grasp, cf "two-thirds of the crew are on shore leave" and not a single demonstration of mouths moving for speaking, except one of Scotty which was obviously rotoscoped.
Old January 20 2014, 05:24 AM   #71
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Warped9 wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
The Animated Series is boring as all hell, but ... it's still got some charm and it's part of the STAR TREK legacy, which I want to see well-preserved. But the problem with remastering is that it's subjective. I don't always care for what's done in these types of projects. But with a cartoon, what can go wrong, I guess ...
*Sigh* There's nothing wrong with remastering it because that simply means cleaning it up. Revisioning it is another matter.
Exactly.

And in answer to the original question, I don't want a reimagined TAS. If they're going to animate something new, then give us a new story, new material.
Old January 20 2014, 01:24 PM   #72
Robert Comsol
Commodore

milojthatch wrote: View Post
However, I find the whole thing absurd how many people argue over and over again how "only artists should be allowed to change their work" and then slam Lucas for doing just that. My gosh people, pre-Disney, Lucas owned Star Wars! I'd say that gave him the right to do whatever the heck he wanted to do with it. Just because the SE versions exist however, does not mean you have to buy them.
I "slam" George Lucas for being a hypocrite. An interesting read is this: http://savestarwars.com/doasisay.html

Read about the fuzz created by Mr. Lucas regarding the colorization of his beloved "Three Stooges": "By putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what it was."

Well, Mr. Lucas could just reduce the color saturation to zero when watching the "Three Stooges" and he would instantly get the original context.

Each time I try this with his Special Editions, the color goes away but the revisions remain. WTF am I doing wrong?

Again, nothing wrong with alternate editions as long as there is still a choice to watch the original version in equal state-of-the-art quality and resolution (correction: colors, brightness and contrast are horrible in SW on Blu-ray, so there is still room for plenty of improvement for both the SEs and the theatrical editions).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 02:25 AM   #73
Borjis
Commodore

I'd just be happy if DC would release a novel of Vulcan Fury.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 08:10 AM   #74
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
No interest whatsoever. TAS is simply an oddity to me.
TAS would've worked for me if the animation was done in Japan by the same studio that did Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (aka Battle of the Planets in North America and Europe) or the same studio that did Macross (Robotech in North America and Europe) and shown in prime time on a TV network; as it is, it works slightly for me, but not much.

As I've said before, I want to see an animated series using the same CGI work and character design as the Internet fan show Star Trek: Aurora; I believe that that's the only way an animated Star Trek would work now (and the acclaim for the show seems to back me up.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 11:14 AM   #75
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Nix to those examples.