Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 19 2014, 07:31 PM   #46
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
I'll give CBS this much: offering the Blu-Rays with both versions acknowledges that TOS-R was not the accepted "final word" representation of the series.
Yep. The remaster of TOS is simply the original film masters. Nothing has been added. People don't seem to get that. The episodes with crappy CGI FX are essentially bonus features on the BD discs.

There were more egregious changes made to the show when TOS went to DVD than there were when the series was transferred to HD. It makes objections to HD-TOS all the more puzzling, since the same people seem to be fine with the altered DVDs. Unfortunately, those changes were retained with the BD release, but that still begs the question why those objecting to the BDs have no problem with the DVDs.
Old January 19 2014, 07:40 PM   #47
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
I don't think anyone here in this thread is endorsing what Lucas has done to the original Star Wars trilogy.
You called?

Look, I actually happen to LIKE the Special Editions (of both SW and ST-TOS). In fact, in both cases I greatly prefer the SE's to the originals. I realize that's not a very popular thing to say, but there we are.

At the same time, I also fully support the idea that both versions should be made available. As much as I enjoy the SW special editions - oh, by the way, as if I hadn't dug a deep enough hole for myself, I also prefer the PT to the OT - even I wouldn't want my preferred versions to be the ONLY versions available.
Old January 19 2014, 07:47 PM   #48
Harvey
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
At the same time, I also fully support the idea that both versions should be made available. As much as I enjoy the SW special editions - oh, by the way, as if I hadn't dug a deep enough hole for myself, I also prefer the PT to the OT - even I wouldn't want my preferred versions to be the ONLY versions available.
Let me clarify. My comment ("What Lucas did with the origianl Star Wars trilogy") isn't a suggestion that I hate the special editions for existing. As with the new versions of TOS, I'm fine with them (I mean, I don't like them personally, but I have no problem with revised versions of the work being made available). What I object to is the fact that the originals (in Lucas' case) have been made unavailable.

So, with that clarification, I restate my comment.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 07:54 PM   #49
milojthatch
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't mind the tinkering as long as the originals are available in their unaltered form for those that want it that way.
That is an old--and false argument.
Did you miss the part where BillJ said that Lucas did this "the wrong way?" I don't think anyone here in this thread is endorsing what Lucas has done to the original Star Wars trilogy.
At the risk of fan scorn (which I'm smart of enough to know will come), I was actually ok with the SE of the original Star Wars films. In fact a few of the changes I felt were better than the original versions. That said, there were also some of the changes I wish had not been made, so for me the project is a mixed bag.

However, I find the whole thing absurd how many people argue over and over again how "only artists should be allowed to change their work" and then slam Lucas for doing just that. My gosh people, pre-Disney, Lucas owned Star Wars! I'd say that gave him the right to do whatever the heck he wanted to do with it. Just because the SE versions exist however, does not mean you have to buy them.

My feeling is that I have no problem with the copyright holder altering the original film or tv show, so long as they make the original version available for fans who prefer that version. That is exactly what CBS TV did with TOS-R Blu-rays, they put both the Remastered versions AND the original tv versions. In my opinion, that's the way to do it!

As for the altered Star Wars, each time they have been released, they sell, so clearly someone is buying them.
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 09:50 PM   #50
Maurice
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I just plain disagree here. I don't mind the tinkering as long as the originals are available in their unaltered form for those that want it that way. By locking it down, you're essentially guaranteeing that eventually the property will fall out of the public consciousness.

Essentially, CBS did it the right way with TOS (regardless of what I think of the results) and Lucas did it the wrong way with Star Wars.
One trouble with that idealistic notion is that in world driven by cost and profit it eventually means "why are we spending money to put out/store/stream two versions of the same thing?" or Lucas like "this is how it's meant to be" which frequently means the originals go bye bye. This has always been the case since the silent film days. Films get recut and repackaged and the originals become nearly impossible to find.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 09:52 PM   #51
Harvey
Admiral

^^
A fair point. Although the original versions of TOS survive in the form of physical media, it's worth pointing out that the versions with the new effects have supplanted the originals on Netflix and most television broadcasts.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 10:04 PM   #52
Warped9
Admiral

^^
A fair point. Although the original versions of TOS survive in the form of physical media, it's worth pointing out that the versions with the new effects have supplanted the originals on Netflix and most television broadcasts.
And as I mentioned earlier upthread the new visuals are also being used out of context even when referring to the original broadcasts of TOS.
Old January 20 2014, 12:33 AM   #53
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
This has always been the case since the silent film days. Films get recut and repackaged and the originals become nearly impossible to find.
Please see my Universal reference. During the early TV years, two clips were cut from the broadcast version of the 1931 Frankenstein (due to alleged offensive content), but have been restored to its theatrical format, so instead of cutting scenes, or adding new material / FX, Universal has treated some of its jewels as complete works of art...and there's no one asking for changes, either.
Old January 20 2014, 12:39 AM   #54
2takesfrakes
Commodore

The Animated Series is boring as all hell, but ... it's still got some charm and it's part of the STAR TREK legacy, which I want to see well-preserved. But the problem with remastering is that it's subjective. I don't always care for what's done in these types of projects. But with a cartoon, what can go wrong, I guess ...
Old January 20 2014, 12:42 AM   #55
Maurice
Vice Admiral

spockboy wrote: View Post
Here is a full length (rarely seen) new TAS episode called "Return to Triskelion" using the TAS style with proper TOS music (mostly) and a CG Enterprise and
new voice actors doing the original TOS actors (as someone had mentioned)
https://vimeo.com/4438987

Couldn't take more than 60 seconds of that noise.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old January 20 2014, 12:44 AM   #56
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
This has always been the case since the silent film days. Films get recut and repackaged and the originals become nearly impossible to find.
Please see my Universal reference. During the early TV years, two clips were cut from the broadcast version of the 1931 Frankenstein (due to alleged offensive content), but have been restored to its theatrical format, so instead of cutting scenes, or adding new material / FX, Universal has treated some of its jewels as complete works of art...and there's no one asking for changes, either.
I'm not getting your point. Are you saying that's the rule or the exception?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old January 20 2014, 12:45 AM   #57
Warped9
Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
The Animated Series is boring as all hell, but ... it's still got some charm and it's part of the STAR TREK legacy, which I want to see well-preserved. But the problem with remastering is that it's subjective. I don't always care for what's done in these types of projects. But with a cartoon, what can go wrong, I guess ...
*Sigh* There's nothing wrong with remastering it because that simply means cleaning it up. Revisioning it is another matter.
Old January 20 2014, 12:49 AM   #58
Warped9
Admiral

spockboy wrote: View Post
Here is a full length (rarely seen) new TAS episode called "Return to Triskelion" using the TAS style with proper TOS music (mostly) and a CG Enterprise and
new voice actors doing the original TOS actors (as someone had mentioned)
https://vimeo.com/4438987

I lasted about two minutes before, "No thanks."
Old January 20 2014, 12:59 AM   #59
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
*Sigh* There's nothing wrong with remastering it because that simply means cleaning it up. Revisioning it is another matter.
Remastering is more than just that. What a "clean" copy of TAS would look like is subjective. Remastering also involves colour correcting, is also subjective and is often the worst of it. Sound is also a part of the remastering process and this is, without a doubt, the most subjective aspect ... and can really be annoying, depending on how they mix it.
Old January 20 2014, 01:04 AM   #60
Warped9
Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Remastering is more than just that. What a "clean" copy of TAS would look like is subjective. Remastering also involves colour correcting, is also subjective and is often the worst of it. Sound is also a part of the remastering process and this is, without a doubt, the most subjective aspect ... and can really be annoying, depending on how they mix it.
But it still comes done to preserving the original work.