Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 18 2014, 08:13 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Casting J.J. Abrams' Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
milojthatch wrote: View Post
It will never happen. After the next film, I doubt will see JJ touch Star Trek ever again and thank goodness!
Aye aye. No reason to recast a superb cast. Some of these filmmakers and fans have no original bone in their body.
Or we are more interested in being entertained than treating Star Trek like some religious relic.
Old January 18 2014, 09:15 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It will never happen. After the next film, I doubt will see JJ touch Star Trek ever again and thank goodness!

Aye aye. No reason to recast a superb cast. Some of these filmmakers and fans have no original bone in their body.
Theatre has been modifying, recasting and retelling stories since the dawn of time. And the TNG crew loved theatre...
Old January 18 2014, 09:50 PM   #18
EmperorTiberius
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Or we are more interested in being entertained than treating Star Trek like some religious relic.
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

Theatre has been modifying, recasting and retelling stories since the dawn of time. And the TNG crew loved theatre...
How can you be entertained by an exact copy?

TNG didn't copy TOS - Stewart was Picard, not Kirk. Brent was Data, not Spock. DS9 didn't copy TOS, Voyager didn't copy TOS etc etc

And yeah, theater retells classic stories, a bit differently.

People are entertained by amazing stories, new characters, new problems, new insights, the wow! factor, not cheap copies. People like Abrams want to make a quick dollar, they don't want to put the work in that is required to make something great. Imagine if Gene said in the 80's "Screw it, let's just redo TOS". We would miss out on a lot of good stuff and enjoyment from TNG characters which were completely different. But people like Gene didn't have a poor attitude and were true creators and legends.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 10:51 PM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

TNG didn't copy TOS - Stewart was Picard, not Kirk. Brent was Data, not Spock. DS9 didn't copy TOS, Voyager didn't copy TOS etc etc
Sure it did. Kirk became Picard and Riker. Spock became Data, Troi and Worf. McCoy became Crusher and Pulaski.

And yeah, theater retells classic stories, a bit differently.
And a recast TNG would tell "classic stories" a bit differently.

People are entertained by amazing stories, new characters, new problems, new insights, the wow! factor, not cheap copies. People like Abrams want to make a quick dollar, they don't want to put the work in that is required to make something great. Imagine if Gene said in the 80's "Screw it, let's just redo TOS". We would miss out on a lot of good stuff and enjoyment from TNG characters which were completely different. But people like Gene didn't have a poor attitude and were true creators and legends.
People are entertained by many things. Including new stories featuring old characters.

Gene was no stranger to making a buck. Star Trek was an attempt to make a buck. The IDIC medallion was an attempt to make a buck.

You've no idea how much work Abrams and his team put into their films. Just because you don't like the results doesn't mean the people involved didn't work hard.

TMP and Phase II were Gene's attempt to redo TOS and if TWOK had bombed/never been made, I'm pretty sure Gene would have gone with Kirk, Spock and McCoy as his characters in the next TV version of Trek. Possibly even with new actors in the parts. As stated above, TNG was partially Phase II with the names changed to protect the film series.

Abrams has a pretty good track record on TV and film as a creator. Hits shows and fan faves.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 12:21 AM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Not an exact copy. Not even a copy.

People are entertained by amazing stories, new characters, new problems, new insights, the wow! factor, not cheap copies. People like Abrams want to make a quick dollar, they don't want to put the work in that is required to make something great.
I think it's rather poor form to accuse Abrams of not putting in the work, especially since you have no clue about these films. He's been in charge of two of the most critically acclaimed, financially successful, best directed and visually stunning Star Trek films.

Imagine if Gene said in the 80's "Screw it, let's just redo TOS". We would miss out on a lot of good stuff and enjoyment from TNG characters which were completely different. But people like Gene didn't have a poor attitude and were true creators and legends.
I'm not sure Gene Roddenberry and "true creator" belong in the same sentence. He came up for the original outline for Star Trek, but there were a ton of people credited and uncredited (ask Gerrold, Fontana and Justman about TNG) responsible for Star Trek's success. Of course, he lifted nothing from others while creating Star Trek.
Old January 19 2014, 12:46 AM   #21
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
I'm not getting how another Abrams topic is once again in the General Trek section. Apparently he's everyone's favorite whipping boy on this forum. If one is gone and off to the movie section, shouldn't this one go too?
Don't derail the thread. Take your complaints to Private Messaging.
Old January 19 2014, 06:11 AM   #22
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Whoever plays Picard should actually be French, and then we can all complain for years about his lack of a British accent.
Hey, I did mention that Jean Reno could play Picard...

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
How about Djimon Hounsou as Picard?

True he might be a little young (just 49), but he'd definitely be a dominant presence on the Bridge.
I'll go for that, too. But then I'd make Worf Asian, and Geordie LaForge white (and change the character's gender.)

Gene was as the others have said he was, plus he was losing it during the time he made TNG (to be frank, he should have just created the concept, characters, and then nothing else); his writing skills had deteriorated, he didn't know how to write realistic people anymore, and he was clashing with people over how the show should go (Melinda M. Snodgrass and Tracy Tormé being the most prominent examples.) At least J.J. wasn't above having Captain Kirk have flaws.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; January 19 2014 at 06:40 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 07:40 AM   #23
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
How about Djimon Hounsou as Picard?

True he might be a little young (just 49), but he'd definitely be a dominant presence on the Bridge.
I'll go for that, too. But then I'd make Worf Asian, and Geordie LaForge white (and change the character's gender.)
I'd keep Worf and Geordi as they are, but Data I would switch to female (played by Summer Glau). If they insisted on having Wesley, I'd do away with the child super-genius as it is just really grating--not to mention the incredulity of him being better than trained and experienced Starfleet officers!
Old January 19 2014, 08:15 AM   #24
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Even better, Wesley can be Leslie Crusher again, so that it won't sound like Mary Sue bullshit.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 06:43 PM   #25
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

My casting choices:

Captain Picard - Vin Diesel

Where you know him from: The Fast and The Furious, Chronicles of Riddick, the forward from the book "Thirty Years of Adventure: A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons"

Cmdr William Riker, Exec. Officer - Wil Wheaton

Where you know him from: Recurring characters on The Big Bang Theory, Eureka

Lt. Cmdr Data, Ops, Second Officer - Brenda Song

Where you know her from: The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
Note: In this timeline, Soong is a traditionalist when it comes to his androids, and also a bit of a perv, so he makes them Asian women rather than having them look like him. (Allows for a Spiner cameo as Soong.)

Lt. Cmdr Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer - Dulé Hill

Where you know him from: Psych, The West Wing

Lt. Cmdr Worf, Security Staff Chief - Isaiah Mustafa

Where you know him from: He's the Old Spice Guy + misc other roles
Note: In this timeline, Worf's adoptive parents lived in a more metropolitan human environment than in TNG. They still taught him Klingon ways, and he is still Klingon, but he was less of an outsider growing up, and is less surly and standoffish.

Lt. Natasha Yar, Tactical Officer and Bridge Security Ops - Jennifer Lawrence

Where you know her from: The Hunger Games, X-Men: First Class, American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook
Note: Actress selection based partially on her carrying off the role of Sela as a primary film villain, later.

Cmdr Beverly Crusher, CMO - Kate Walsh

Where you know her from: Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, The Drew Carey Show, others

Civilian Political Officer "Counselor" Deanna Troi - Hannah Simone

Where you know her from: New Girl
Note: This version of Troi is not nice, and is there primarily to ensure that Federation rules and Starfleet protocols are adhered to during the deep space exploration mission - previous captains have made them feel such positions are necessary. Her past relationship with Riker is what will make her inclined to cooperate with the crew in bending some rules.

Chief Petty Officer and Transporter Chief Miles O'Brien - Ronan Keating

Where you know him from: Goddess, The X Factor UK, the 90s pop band Boyzone

Crewman 1st Class Wes Crusher - Nathan Kress

Where you know him from: iCarly
This version of Wesley is still a bit of a prodigy, and has already attended Starfleet core enlistment training and then served at the Utopia Planetia shipyards where the -D was being completed, working on her. When Dr. Crusher was assigned as CMO for the long-term space exploration mission, he transferred to Enterprise under Starfleet rules that permit families to do so for that kind of mission. Picard feels bad about his involvement in Wesley's father's death, and has asked Chief O'Brien to take the young man under his wing. Wes occasionally knows things about new features of the ship that the older crew aren't familiar with yet. And eventually, this character will be mustanged to officer ranks.
Old January 20 2014, 09:24 AM   #26
BigJake
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote:
Sure it did. Kirk became Picard and Riker. Spock became Data, Troi and Worf. McCoy became Crusher and Pulaski.
Ehhh, I see what you're going for but I don't think this works. TNG is basically a retooling of the Phase II concept that never wound up getting made apart from the bits and pieces that survived into TMP. And the Phase II material was in fact a very deliberate attempt to make something that wasn't just a copy of TOS.

Picard and Riker are thus really heirs to the Kirk and Deckard characters conceived for Phase II, and in this sense it's probably a good thing that Phase II didn't happen because the transformation of Kirk that it involved would have been confusing -- the ideas needed a new character. Likewise Data is a conceptual descendant of Xon, who had been conceived as the inverse of Spock (a non-human trying to understand humanity rather than a half-human trying to repress his humanity); and Troi is a successor to Ilia. McCoy would have stuck around in Phase II and really could have had a spiritual heir in Pulaski, if not so much in Crusher (I do wish Pulaski had stuck around longer, she was far more interesting), but that's the closest thing to real continuity.

USS Triumphant wrote:
My casting choices . . .
Some nice ones!

I'm intrigued by the idea of Troi as a "political officer," which reminds me of Spaceship Orion. Not sure I'd necessarily want it for a Trek series, but it does make me curious about the story concepts you alluded to in another thread.
Old January 20 2014, 10:12 AM   #27
Push The Button
Fleet Captain

Great casting ideas.

Terry O'Quinn might make a good Picard, and not just because he's bald, though he is probably a little too old now. Would have been a good Lost connection in any case.

I'm trying to imagine what a JJverse Enterprise-D would look like...
Old January 20 2014, 10:23 AM   #28
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Push The Button wrote: View Post
I'm trying to imagine what a JJverse Enterprise-D would look like...
It'd be around five miles long, with a crew of over 10,000 and piss-poor shields. The ship would never leave the Sol System as its transporters allow them to visit planets all across the quadrant.
Old January 20 2014, 12:24 PM   #29
anh165
Commander

There would simply be no need for 'TNG' spin off.

What could happen is if the current JJ Abrams / NuTOS era of movies becomes tired, Star Trek gets put on hold for a few years and is rebooted again with a fresh cast and production, quite possibly re-written and produced in a way that is relevant with the viewers and media technology found in the year 20-twenty-something.

The concept of Captain Kirk and Spock in a star ship getting into adventures has that longevity and is well established in popular culture.

The TNG concept is: "Trek 100 years in the future and without the popular characters". It is indeed a clever idea back in 1986 where you could not reboot/remake Star Trek due to the aging TOS cast still making movies.
Old January 20 2014, 02:45 PM   #30
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote:
My casting choices . . .
Some nice ones!

I'm intrigued by the idea of Troi as a "political officer," which reminds me of Spaceship Orion. Not sure I'd necessarily want it for a Trek series, but it does make me curious about the story concepts you alluded to in another thread.
Thanks! I wish I could take credit for the Troi-as-political-officer idea, but I read somewhere a while back (couldn't tell you exactly where) that that was the original idea for her character. And I really wish they had gone with that, because as they ultimately presented her, she needed more to do, I think. Guinan was frankly a better counselor, which mostly left Troi with stating things about people's emotions that were obvious about half of the time and being the ship's Dana Barrett whenever some alien entity wanted to possess and/or knock up a member of the crew. At least until they finally figured that out, put her in a normal uniform, and started giving her some regular duties.

The idea does fit nicely into some of my other concepts, though - which I may break down and begin writing and sharing stories with any year now.

anh165 wrote: View Post
There would simply be no need for 'TNG' spin off.
NEED? True. But there's no NEED for TOS, either. As a fan, it neither feeds nor shelters you.

Regarding the weaker meaning of "need" which is really a strong want, I disagree - there are many, many people who cut their teeth on TNG and only came to TOS through it. To them, TNG is the real deal, and TOS is a prototype, and those people will want to see stories with *their* crew again. And if they're willing to pay more than it will cost to produce those stories and it can be done without diminishing the estimated value of the TOS IP (which is what really matters most to the owners of the intellectual property involved) then it WILL happen.