Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 18 2014, 04:15 AM   #91
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Why are Trekkies so Hateful of Star Trek?

I will love all future incarnations of Star Trek, even the musical.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:17 AM   #92
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I like "The Way to Eden" too.
Old January 18 2014, 04:37 AM   #93
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I really want to see a Star Trek musical now.

Make it so! Make it so, make it so, make it sooooooooooo!!!!
Old January 18 2014, 04:44 AM   #94
nureintier
Commander

I personally don't think the 'hate' is that much of a problem. If you love something you're going to be passionate about it.
This.

I don't see it as hate. I see a community of people who mostly enjoy the show, but over time are able to criticize it as well as praise. I'd guess that overwhelmingly people enjoy the shows and films.
This also.

And, as others have said, it's not a Trek thing. See any other fandom. Star Wars comes to my mind, and so does the Silent Hill video game and movie series.

I think if people hated it more than they liked it, they wouldn't be discussing it on a Trek board. If a person despises one series,they probably love another series, and maybe just feel resentful that some series don't appeal to them as much. I know I've complained about some aspects of the new movies, but that doesn't stop me from watching them and buying copies on every available format. It's just that, because I know the older movies so well that I can't help but compare things and discuss what I like and dislike. I think the OP is placing too much emphasis on the "hate" aspect.

for example, I have friends who love TNG but can't stand TOS. Why? Not just because they grew up with TOs in the 80s, but also because TOS was different than TNG and lacked some of the things they liked most about TNG. Same with other series and the movies. Even with something like ST:V, you have to feel passionately enough about the series and movies or you won't even be bothered getting upset about not liking a film. And all that comes down to personal taste, but I think it's also that if you have invested a lot of time and energy in watching a series, you're going to talk about both the good and the bad.

Anyway, I don't think it's so much that Trek fans are "hateful" as that they have strong feelings, good and bad, about certain aspects of the series or certain movies or whatever.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 05:24 AM   #95
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

How Much For Just the Planet? (an operetta in prose form) was written decades ago.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 05:38 AM   #96
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
How Much For Just the Planet? (an operetta in prose form) was written decades ago.
By the late John M. Ford, of course.
Old January 18 2014, 05:39 AM   #97
Timewalker

I hadn't known he died.

Old January 18 2014, 05:48 AM   #98
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I hadn't known he died.
Many years ago.

At the risk of going OT for a second, his alternate-history fantasy novel, The Dragon Waiting, is also worth checking out. As I recall, it won the World Fantasy Award way back when.

In terms of accepting new versions of old favorites, I confess that I've never been able to bring myself to watch the Nicholas Cage remake of The Wicker Man, because the original with Christopher Lee is one of my favorite movies, but that's partly because I've never heard anything good about it. I like to think that I would be open-minded enough to give the remake the benefit of the doubt--if it hadn't been universally panned by the entire world.
Old January 18 2014, 06:29 AM   #99
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I hadn't known he died.
Many years ago.

At the risk of going OT for a second, his alternate-history fantasy novel, The Dragon Waiting, is also worth checking out. As I recall, it won the World Fantasy Award way back when.

In terms of accepting new versions of old favorites, I confess that I've never been able to bring myself to watch the Nicholas Cage remake of The Wicker Man, because the original with Christopher Lee is one of my favorite movies, but that's partly because I've never heard anything good about it. I like to think that I would be open-minded enough to give the remake the benefit of the doubt--if it hadn't been universally panned by the entire world.
I'm pretty sure in was panned on other worlds and in a few alternate realities as well.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 09:03 AM   #100
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I gotta say about hate.. I bowed out of Star Wars fandom which I was dabbling in for a while because of the hate. I couldn't hack it anymore, the rants about the prequels, the division between those that didn't hate them and those that thought those that didn't hate them were idiots. I think some of that may have calmed down now but it was just too much hard work. I'd hate to see that happen to Trek, though so far I don't think that's been the case. I've also personally introduced many people to the varying series who wanted to see more after seeing their very first Trek which was the JJ films.. and some of these people have now watched everything!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 10:05 AM   #101
Timewalker

I gotta say about hate.. I bowed out of Star Wars fandom which I was dabbling in for a while because of the hate. I couldn't hack it anymore, the rants about the prequels, the division between those that didn't hate them and those that thought those that didn't hate them were idiots. I think some of that may have calmed down now but it was just too much hard work. I'd hate to see that happen to Trek, though so far I don't think that's been the case. I've also personally introduced many people to the varying series who wanted to see more after seeing their very first Trek which was the JJ films.. and some of these people have now watched everything!
I once got red-repped (downvoted using a forum reputation feature) just for saying I hadn't seen the prequels. Since that forum had a lot of privileges and accesses that depended on keeping one's reputation score securely in the green, I thought that was distinctly hostile.

I've just decided that for me, Star Wars consists of the IV-VI movies, plus any books written by Alan Dean Foster. I can't be bothered to care if people love or hate the rest of it.

Old January 18 2014, 10:37 AM   #102
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I think hateful is too strong, opinionated would be better. Everyone of any fandom--especially those that have been around for many years--won't agree on everything in the franchise, it's very much a matter of taste.
Old January 18 2014, 11:45 AM   #103
2takesfrakes
Commodore

This being "so hateful" business - it's just misplaced passion, is all it is ...
Old January 18 2014, 12:12 PM   #104
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
But NuTrek represents a commitment to that ideal on a whole new level, and a full and deliberate segue into Star Wars-style fantasy in a whole new way. (The movies go well out of their way to signpost this in more than just the dollars spent on visual effects: it's why, for example, they don't just de-emphasize the 'science' part of the science fiction, but are deliberately in-your-face silly about it. It isn't subtle.)
They're no worse than the Genesis Device or the all-out fantasy of Vulcan mind magic. Or what about the Excelsior splutting to a halt in space? There has been no change from that standard set in movies II and III (which were a huge step down from I, realism-wise, but about on par with TOS) The ONLY difference is that you like those movies better, so you're willing to gloss over their nonsense.
Old January 18 2014, 12:24 PM   #105
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^Yep. FTL telepathy. Transporters which split people into Jeckyl and Hyde and which can magically restore a person to a previous state (de-age). Engines modified to get to to Andromeda in a couple of hundred years which can never go that fast again. etc. etc. Star Trek's always been chock full of such rubbish.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote