RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,113
Posts: 5,400,507
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 427
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 18 2014, 01:11 AM   #16
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain
 
AgentCoop's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

Who the heck would ever be dumb enough to play poker with Geordi (can read your physiological responses and possibly even see through your cards), Troi (can tell if you're lying) and Data (a walking computer who can effortlessly keep track of every card in the deck)? Do these people want to lose?
__________________
Two penguins were walking across an iceberg.
One penguin turned to the second penguin and said
"You look like you're wearing a tuxedo."
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 02:36 AM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

In The Naked Time, Spock enters the briefing room, the doors close behind him and he falls backwards against the doors. In the same episode Reilly approaches a door moving backwards (a pretty girl pulled his attention) and the door opens for him.

Why didn't the doors open for Spock resulting in his falling into the corridor?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 03:18 AM   #18
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Who the heck would ever be dumb enough to play poker with Geordi (can read your physiological responses and possibly even see through your cards), Troi (can tell if you're lying) and Data (a walking computer who can effortlessly keep track of every card in the deck)? Do these people want to lose?
Troi can tell when you're bluffing but I bet I could still kick her butt at poker. I bet she calls with Q6. Geordi can be beat by just not using infared transparent cards. Data, yeah, he'd be tough to beat. He could beat me but I bet a pro could beat him, unless it's a Time's Arrow case where he's stacking the deck. He could master the math of the game, but against a human who has also mastered the math of the game he'd be lost.

Speaking of which, why do people in Trek always play 5 card stud? Yeah, the rise of Texas Hold'em is relatively new, but before that all I heard about was 7 card stud, and when you learned poker as a child it was 5 card draw. And now Texas Hold'em, Omahi Hi/Lo, and probably even Razz are more popular than 5 card stud. None of the multigame setups include it. It is a boring game with very little action.

And why do all the militaries of the world do their fighting with huge, fragile ships that are bad at maneuvering? Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica both had fighters, because they make so much more sense.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 03:37 AM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

Why do starship databases contain such useless information? For example, in Flashback Janeway accesses logs from the Excelsior consisting of Sulu noting "routine maintenance" being done.

1) Wouldn't it make more sense for the ship's computers to access that from Memory Alpha or whatever?

2) Why is "routine maintenance" even considered interesting enough to be saved for 80 years?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 09:17 AM   #20
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

Hoshi Sato, a person of Japanese ancestry, but played by Linda Park, a person of Korean ancestry, displays no combat ability for three seasons. But in the fourth season proudly discloses she has a black belt in Aikido and has broken someone's arm before.
1) Why not have a Korean person play a Korean person?
2) Why mention this seemingly tangental information?
3) Why are all Asians supposed to know the martial arts on television?

Disclosure: I'm Asian.

Jean Luc Picard is from France. Patrick Stewart is from the UK. He speaks a crisp English accent and never bothers to speak in a French accent except minimally on one occasion.
Why? Why not make him from England and in keeping with his accent as he doesn't seem able to lose it?

Last edited by Robbiesan; January 18 2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 09:59 AM   #21
The Green Mushroom
Commander
 
Location: United States
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
If Vulcans follow the path of logic and controlled emotions as dictated by Surak, then why do they often come across as angry and hostile and not serene?
I've always gotten the impression that they are just arrogant __holes. Logic and emotional suppression just means that they can be in the same room as you.


My imponderable: Why is every single admiral in Trek either grossly incompetent or someone who would rather be a captain again?
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 10:04 AM   #22
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
Robbiesan wrote: View Post
If Vulcans follow the path of logic and controlled emotions as dictated by Surak, then why do they often come across as angry and hostile and not serene?
I've always gotten the impression that they are just arrogant __holes. Logic and emotional suppression just means that they can be in the same room as you.
I guess that means depriving oneself of emotions automatically makes one arrogant. If so, that's illogical as arrogance might be considered an emotion.

...or it could be simply bad acting. Watch Surak sometime in the TOS series episode The Savage Curtain.

Mister Calm Cool and Collected and not arrogant...but a lot of Vulcans were arrogant.
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 11:03 AM   #23
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Hoshi Sato ... in the fourth season proudly discloses she has a black belt in Aikido and has broken someone's arm before.
It not like she could have studied aboard the ship and became a black belt in the fourth season, becoming a black belt in Aikido takes about a decade.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 12:42 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Why do starship databases contain such useless information? For example, in Flashback Janeway accesses logs from the Excelsior consisting of Sulu noting "routine maintenance" being done.

1) Wouldn't it make more sense for the ship's computers to access that from Memory Alpha or whatever?

2) Why is "routine maintenance" even considered interesting enough to be saved for 80 years?
I don't recall if it's from the TOS series or a novel or The Making of Star Trek, but the Enterprise computer was said to be the equal of the Federation's very best and had virtually infinite storage space. So why not cram absolutely everything in just in case a tiny tidbit became useful 100 years later?

(except for references to the Borg or the Ferengi or "holes in space" of course)
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 12:45 PM   #25
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain
 
AgentCoop's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

How come when Worf throws a Klingon word into the conversation (or when any alien character speaks their own language) the universal translator doesn't translate it?
__________________
Two penguins were walking across an iceberg.
One penguin turned to the second penguin and said
"You look like you're wearing a tuxedo."
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 12:52 PM   #26
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

Why do they sometimes have to press their commbadges in TNG but other times just talking into the air suffices?
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 05:25 PM   #27
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Hoshi Sato, a person of Japanese ancestry, but played by Linda Park, a person of Korean ancestry, displays no combat ability for three seasons. But in the fourth season proudly discloses she has a black belt in Aikido and has broken someone's arm before.
1) Why not have a Korean person play a Korean person?
2) Why mention this seemingly tangental information?
3) Why are all Asians supposed to know the martial arts on television?

Disclosure: I'm Asian.

Jean Luc Picard is from France. Patrick Stewart is from the UK. He speaks a crisp English accent and never bothers to speak in a French accent except minimally on one occasion.
Why? Why not make him from England and in keeping with his accent as he doesn't seem able to lose it?
You're right!

They should have gotten a real Scotsman for Scotty, instead of Canadian James Doohan.

And Kirk should be layed by an American, not a Canadian like William Shatner.

Whats with casting an American as Uhura? Were there no East African actors available? She should have made the character an American.

Sulu? That's not even a Japanese name. So Why cast Takei?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 05:45 PM   #28
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

I *think* the common held answer for "Why did Khan age and no one else in TWOK" is that, being the leader, he worked harder than everyone else and 'sacrificed years off his lifespan to save his people'....or something like that.

But STID inadvertently solves this problem by making Khan have Magic Blood. Khan constantly giving transfusions is a better solution.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:07 PM   #29
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
the Enterprise computer was said to be the equal of the Federation's very best and had virtually infinite storage space
But it did seem to be strangely slow when it came to information retrieval. Searches often took several minutes, and as you noted couldn't produce information that realistically should have been in there.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:10 PM   #30
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Why didn't the doors open for Spock resulting in his falling into the corridor?
The ship's internal sensors could tell that if the doors opened, Spock would be off-balance, whereas Riley would not be, so they opened for Riley's convenience, but stayed closed to keep Spock on his feet.
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Troi can tell when you're bluffing but I bet I could still kick her butt at poker. <snip> Speaking of which, why do people in Trek always play 5 card stud? <snip>
And why do all the militaries of the world do their fighting with huge, fragile ships that are bad at maneuvering? Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica both had fighters, because they make so much more sense.
Troi would be able to tell you think she's a sucker, too. And by the late 23rd century, 5 card stud and Fizzbin are the games to play. And if you want to get into combat tactics, why do they even allow the crew to be involved beyond saying "attack" at all? A computer's response times would be insanely faster.
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Why do starship databases contain such useless information? For example, in Flashback Janeway accesses logs from the Excelsior consisting of Sulu noting "routine maintenance" being done.

1) Wouldn't it make more sense for the ship's computers to access that from Memory Alpha or whatever?

2) Why is "routine maintenance" even considered interesting enough to be saved for 80 years?
Memory Alpha might not always be available. And in a world where information is stored digitally and can be changed even retroactively with near zero effort, having copies of the information all over the place is a strategy for keeping the record HONEST - this is a problem we are dealing with NOW, in fact.
Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Jean Luc Picard is from France. Patrick Stewart is from the UK. He speaks a crisp English accent and never bothers to speak in a French accent except minimally on one occasion.
Why? Why not make him from England and in keeping with his accent as he doesn't seem able to lose it?
If English is "Standard", and it seems to be, then it seems logical to me that, much like the way well-educated Indian speakers have a British accent now, so would it be for most of Standard-speaking Eurasia.
The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
My imponderable: Why is every single admiral in Trek either grossly incompetent or someone who would rather be a captain again?
Being on a ship gets you out away from the regime back on Earth, and there are some disturbing things about the way things are run on the Federation homeworlds. DS9 gave us a peek at that, but if you consider the implications of all the tech and social dogma we've seen, it would pretty much HAVE to be even worse than we know from screen canon.
Robbiesan wrote: View Post
I guess that means depriving oneself of emotions automatically makes one arrogant. If so, that's illogical as arrogance might be considered an emotion.

...or it could be simply bad acting. Watch Surak sometime in the TOS series episode The Savage Curtain.
Surak came to the conclusions on his own. His early adherents were probably enthusiastic, too. But once it had time to become dogmatic, there's probably a lot of Vulcans who are caught between thinking it is the proper way to live and simultaneously resenting the hell out of it.
AgentCoop wrote: View Post
How come when Worf throws a Klingon word into the conversation (or when any alien character speaks their own language) the universal translator doesn't translate it?
Comm system and translator AI beyond anything we have now - perhaps it picks up on his speech pattern to clue it in, or per another haps, it determines this by the fact that Worf is normally speaking unbroken Standard, so if he has thrown a Klingon word in, he has obviously done it on purpose.
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Why do they sometimes have to press their commbadges in TNG but other times just talking into the air suffices?
The same AI I just mentioned is pretty good at picking up on vocal and somatic clues as part of its UI. But not perfect, and also, sometimes people just like to fondle their brooch.
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.