Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 18 2014, 10:08 PM   #31
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

RAMA wrote: View Post
I think I'll pass. Kind of hard to watch that stuff with Nolan Batman around.

RAMA
Why? What's wrong with a lighthearted take on Batman? I've always looked at it like this: Adam West's Batman was a spoof in a way similar to how Spaceballs spoofed Star Wars.

Nothing wrong with that.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 10:10 PM   #32
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

given the choice, i'd take Adam West Batman or Batman The Brave and the Bold over all other incarnations of the character.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 10:49 PM   #33
Christopher
Writer

RandyS wrote: View Post
What's wrong with a lighthearted take on Batman? I've always looked at it like this: Adam West's Batman was a spoof in a way similar to how Spaceballs spoofed Star Wars.

Nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with a comedic take, no, but it wasn't a spoof in the sense of poking fun at something that was otherwise presented seriously at the time. Like I've said, the Batman comics of the '50s and '60s were very much like the show in their tone, telling adventure stories that were deliberately absurd and silly even though the characters treated them as serious matters. After all, the Comics Code didn't allow comics at the time to be violent or scary or dark, so that pretty much left humor and absurdity. The comedy came from the source.

This is why Batman was a comedy while its sister show from the same producers, The Green Hornet, was a straight crime drama: because both shows were faithful adaptations of their source materials. A lot of Batman episodes were directly adapted from comic-book stories. Material was added to flesh them out, some details were changed for reasons of budget or practicality, but to a large extent they played out exactly the same on the show as they had in the comic.

So yes, it was a comedy, but no, it wasn't a spoof -- any more than the comics were spoofing themselves, at least. Certainly there was a heavy dose of self-aware irony to the show, but only in the sense that it was presenting the source with great accuracy and letting its inherent absurdity speak for itself, like when Andy Warhol did a painting of soup cans or Roy Lichetenstein copied comic-book panels right down to the color dots.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 11:03 PM   #34
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Nolan's Batman is sooo overrated anyway.
Old January 18 2014, 11:04 PM   #35
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
I think I'll pass. Kind of hard to watch that stuff with Nolan Batman around.

RAMA

Funny. I feel the inverse (or is that converse?) (with honorable mention to Burton's films).
Old January 18 2014, 11:44 PM   #36
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Indeed, Fledermausman Adam West's show is great fun. I hope the movie will also be part of the package.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 12:02 AM   #37
ITHell
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Indeed, Fledermausman Adam West's show is great fun. I hope the movie will also be part of the package.
It would be nice to have the show and movie in the same set. I assume the West/Ward commentary track on the movie would still be there, for it is excellent.
Old January 19 2014, 12:13 AM   #38
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I suspect the movie won't be involved, its available on DVD and Blu-ray. Released by 20th Century Fox. It would be nice to have it as part of a complete set but not necessary.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 12:23 AM   #39
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

ITL wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
It would be nice to have the show and movie in the same set. I assume the West/Ward commentary track on the movie would still be there, for it is excellent.
That sound's great. I have only seen the movie on TV, so I haven't caught the commentary.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 02:43 AM   #40
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Adam West's Batman was the original Frank Drebin.
Now THAT'S an interesting comparison that I never would have made in a thousand years.

Sledge Hammer and Maxwell Smart works too.
Not quite. The Drebin comparison works for the version of Drebin from Police Squad!, where he was a serious, capable, well-respected cop by the standards of an insane and farcical reality.
Which is the version of Drebin that I was thinking of.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 02:48 AM   #41
GourdShipCapt'n
Commodore

Finally, the REAL Batman!

I hope it's uncut. The syndicated reruns since at least the late Eighties have been edited down for extra commercials.
GourdShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 04:14 AM   #42
Christopher
Writer

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
I hope it's uncut. The syndicated reruns since at least the late Eighties have been edited down for extra commercials.
Not to mention that in the current syndication package, at least the one I saw on The Hub or whatever channel that was a year or two ago, they've entirely left out three 2-parters, all the ones involving stereotyped American Indian characters (including the first Egghead story and the second Shame story -- I don't recall offhand what the other one was). Now, I can understand being uncomfortable with racially insensitive humor, but there were problematical stereotypes of other ethnic groups over the course of the series and those episodes weren't skipped. And since just about every character was a broad caricature of one sort or another, I wouldn't say it was that bad in context.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 05:26 PM   #43
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

What's wrong with a lighthearted take on Batman? I've always looked at it like this: Adam West's Batman was a spoof in a way similar to how Spaceballs spoofed Star Wars.

Nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with a comedic take, no, but it wasn't a spoof in the sense of poking fun at something that was otherwise presented seriously at the time. Like I've said, the Batman comics of the '50s and '60s were very much like the show in their tone, telling adventure stories that were deliberately absurd and silly even though the characters treated them as serious matters. After all, the Comics Code didn't allow comics at the time to be violent or scary or dark, so that pretty much left humor and absurdity. The comedy came from the source.

This is why Batman was a comedy while its sister show from the same producers, The Green Hornet, was a straight crime drama: because both shows were faithful adaptations of their source materials. A lot of Batman episodes were directly adapted from comic-book stories. Material was added to flesh them out, some details were changed for reasons of budget or practicality, but to a large extent they played out exactly the same on the show as they had in the comic.

So yes, it was a comedy, but no, it wasn't a spoof -- any more than the comics were spoofing themselves, at least. Certainly there was a heavy dose of self-aware irony to the show, but only in the sense that it was presenting the source with great accuracy and letting its inherent absurdity speak for itself, like when Andy Warhol did a painting of soup cans or Roy Lichetenstein copied comic-book panels right down to the color dots.
Why can't you ever let anybody have an opinion?? It was a comedic spoof, okay?

Okay.

Discussion over.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 02:48 AM   #44
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with a comedic take, no, but it wasn't a spoof in the sense of poking fun at something that was otherwise presented seriously at the time. Like I've said, the Batman comics of the '50s and '60s were very much like the show in their tone.
Not from what I recall. I never read Batman in the comics back then and felt embarrassed by the character at the end of the story. Some of the comics stories were sometimes written for laughs, but not all of the stories all the time, the way the TV show was.

To me the difference was that even though some of the stories in the 50's and 60's were sometimes a bit absurd, the characters weren't made fun of or ridiculed or made to look like buffoons all of the time the way Batman was portrayed in the TV show.

What I was hoping for from "Batman" was that at the least it would be as respectful of it's main character and it's core audience as Superman (George Reeves version) had been. That isn't what happened.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 06:57 PM   #45
N-121973
Commander

About time too, I thought it would never come out. I think I know what I'm going to ask for as my main Christmas present this year ;-). I just hope that the episodes are uncut and that the box set bristles with extras. Also to those who've been expounding how the show was inspired by/mirrored the style and content of the comics, I'd like to second that. I recently bought the trade paperback Batman The TV Stories which collects over a dozen comics stories between 1948 and 1967 that either served as inspiration for the show or were even adapted in whole or part by the producers of the show.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote