RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,346
Posts: 5,353,973
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 493
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 18 2014, 01:03 AM   #16
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
This news is the best thing all week. I adore the show. Watched as a kid. And now that I have one, I can't wait to show it to him.
The thing is, this version of Batman is a result of the CCA rules that itself was brought into being by what the idiot Fredric Wertham did with his stupid book. A better thing to show your son would be Batman: The Animated Series instead, followed by The Batman and Justice League, and to not sugarcoat what the character is. But, you'll do what you want to, I'll guess.

I'm of the same mindset myself (except I don't want it to come out at all) but it seems like this is going to happen.
Could not possibly AGREE more. I was a teenager when the show debuted and I found it embarrasing. But as I watched it more, it seemed to me that the show, certainly the network, and many of it's adult fans at the time, were laughing at the character (as opposed to laughing with), and the character's serious fans.

I watched it through to the end, nothing else on, and if nothing else, the costumes were great (except Batman's) as was the Batmobile and Neal Hefti's theme, but this show was like a kick in the teeth.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:10 AM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

The show is just good, campy, fun. No, it's by no means a great use of depiction of Batman but so what? Don't see why so much hatred is often hefted at the show.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:20 AM   #18
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

I think it's a very good depiction of Batman -- the Batman that existed in the comics in the '50s and '60s. Its portrayal of Batman and his world is lighter and more stylized than what we've become used to in later decades, but it still captures the essence of the character in many ways -- his total dedication to his mission, his brilliance as a detective, his insane level of preparedness. I daresay the running gag of Batman being prepared for anything was inspired largely by this show, where he always had any necessary specialized gadget or resource already loaded into his utility belt. This was even lampshaded in a Mr. Freeze episode where he just happened to have a belt pouch containing sardines to feed to a friendly seal, becase you never knew when that might come in handy. (Although, again, that really came from the comics first. Silver Age DC comics constantly had superheroes pulling out ridiculous new gadgets or specialized powers suited for any situation.)

It's also an excellent and defining portrayal of Batgirl. The character of Barbara Gordon was created by the comic's team at the behest of the show's producers so they could incorporate her into the series, so the comics and TV versions of the character are essentially one and the same. And Batgirl was a great character, as fearless and confident and smart and resourceful as Batman, yet able to pull it off without the resources of a multimillionaire at her disposal, and having a lot more fun with it. And that's been the essence of Barbara Gordon pretty much ever since, or at least up until The Killing Joke happened.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:22 AM   #19
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The show is just good, campy, fun. No, it's by no means a great use of depiction of Batman but so what? Don't see why so much hatred is often hefted at the show.
Most likely because it's not relentlessly depressing with pyschotic crazies who should be locked away for their own good masquerading as so-called "relatable characters" doing an endless parade of stupid shit.

It was actually a fun little comedy.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:23 AM   #20
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

People should take the 60s show for what it is, in the spirit that was intended. The Batman of the day was not a character who was taken way too seriously, as more recent iterations are by some.

When I was a tyke in the early/mid-70s, the animated series being discussed here was a generation away. It was afternoon reruns of the 60s series that captivated me and proved to be the start of a lifelong love of comic book super-heroes.
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:34 AM   #21
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

This series was the first time I saw Batman, I loved it in the 80s and I still love it today and I wish they would make Batman a little bit more lighthearted and campy again, not as extreme as it was in the 60s, just a little bit.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:35 AM   #22
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think it's a very good depiction of Batman -- the Batman that existed in the comics in the '50s and '60s. Its portrayal of Batman and his world is lighter and more stylized than what we've become used to in later decades, but it still captures the essence of the character in many ways -- his total dedication to his mission, his brilliance as a detective, his insane level of preparedness. I daresay the running gag of Batman being prepared for anything was inspired largely by this show, where he always had any necessary specialized gadget or resource already loaded into his utility belt. This was even lampshaded in a Mr. Freeze episode where he just happened to have a belt pouch containing sardines to feed to a friendly seal, becase you never knew when that might come in handy. (Although, again, that really came from the comics first. Silver Age DC comics constantly had superheroes pulling out ridiculous new gadgets or specialized powers suited for any situation.)

It's also an excellent and defining portrayal of Batgirl. The character of Barbara Gordon was created by the comic's team at the behest of the show's producers so they could incorporate her into the series, so the comics and TV versions of the character are essentially one and the same. And Batgirl was a great character, as fearless and confident and smart and resourceful as Batman, yet able to pull it off without the resources of a multimillionaire at her disposal, and having a lot more fun with it. And that's been the essence of Barbara Gordon pretty much ever since, or at least up until The Killing Joke happened.
Quite so. I've never understood the complaints in terms of being unfaithful to Batman's character. And I will certainly watch these favourites with my son long before I watch the Nolan films with him (he's 8).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:41 AM   #23
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Nothing wrong with taking Batman seriously, it had to be done, but this was a fun show.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 03:10 AM   #24
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Seriously is one thing...way too seriously is another. He can be a grim, gritty avenger of the night...but people need to keep some perspective and remember that this is a character who dresses like a rodent and beats people up....
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:05 AM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Adam West's Batman was the original Frank Drebin.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 03:30 PM   #26
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Takeru wrote: View Post
This series was the first time I saw Batman, I loved it in the 80s and I still love it today and I wish they would make Batman a little bit more lighthearted and campy again, not as extreme as it was in the 60s, just a little bit.
I wish they would do that with everything. if they did, I just might start watching TV beyond The Simpsons again.

And I'm a decade behind on THAT.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 03:33 PM   #27
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Adam West's Batman was the original Frank Drebin.
Now THAT'S an interesting comparison that I never would have made in a thousand years.

Sledge Hammer and Maxwell Smart works too.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:15 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

RandyS wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Adam West's Batman was the original Frank Drebin.
Now THAT'S an interesting comparison that I never would have made in a thousand years.

Sledge Hammer and Maxwell Smart works too.
Not quite. The Drebin comparison works for the version of Drebin from Police Squad!, where he was a serious, capable, well-respected cop by the standards of an insane and farcical reality. But it doesn't work at all for the version of Drebin from the Naked Gun movies, where he was reinterpreted as a Clouseau-like buffoon in an often bizarre but relatively more normative world where other people looked on his antics with dismay and scorn. Sledge Hammer and Max Smart fit that category, but they're a completely different character type than West's Batman. Batman was anything but a bungler or a fool. He was too much of a square for his own good at times, but he was definitely on the ball and extremely good at his job, and he was intensely admired by every law-abiding citizen of Gotham and seen as a real threat by every lawbreaker.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 07:47 PM   #29
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
This news is the best thing all week. I adore the show. Watched as a kid. And now that I have one, I can't wait to show it to him.
The thing is, this version of Batman is a result of the CCA rules that itself was brought into being by what the idiot Fredric Wertham did with his stupid book. A better thing to show your son would be Batman: The Animated Series instead, followed by The Batman and Justice League, and to not sugarcoat what the character is.
Sigh. Where to begin? I'll just say this, rather than a long reply: I don't care about the "sugarcoating" of Batman. Because you know what? There are lots of different versions of Batman and they are all equally valid.

I love the 60s Batman, I love the Burton Batman, I love the Animated Series, I adore Batman: Brave and the Bold.

There are Batmans for ALL ages and all periods in a person's life, and none of them are any more sugar coated than any of the rest. They are all interpretations of the same character.

There is no one version of the Batman.


But, you'll do what you want to, I'll guess.
Yeah. Thanks, Mr. Passive Agressive.


RandyS wrote: View Post
I hope this is true, but for now, my attitude is "I'll believe it when I see it".
I'm of the same mindset myself (except I don't want it to come out at all) but it seems like this is going to happen.
Why not? What's wrong with it going on sale? It's not like you have to buy it.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 07:57 PM   #30
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: At Last! 60s Batman TV show coming to homem video!

I think I'll pass. Kind of hard to watch that stuff with Nolan Batman around.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.