Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 17 2014, 01:27 AM   #31
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Re: Stand-out Eps

Yeah I'd have to agree with you, the Mudd episodes don't have much going for them, and I generally skip both of them when watching with the kids (aged 6, 2 and 10 days old).

I thought my six year old would struggle with TNG, which he only started watching in the past few months as the BluRays have trickled out. I thought he'd find TNG slow compared to the much more dynamic and colourful TOS that he'd been watching for years, but he loves TNG, particularly Wes and Data.

Bringing JJ Trek into this discussion, one thing his films and the Coon-produced TOS have in common is that the fun is back. We can explore the final frontier again without it being deathly serious all the time. I know the Coon approach isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if my Twitter feed is anything to go by, it seems to be working beautifully in bringing 'kids' say 15-21 into Star Trek, and more power to him for doing that. The summer movie crowd will attend, have a drool over Pine, Cumberbatch or Saldana and then move on, bit some will watch TOS for the first time, fall in love with it like us, and end up posting in places like this, and I think that's great.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 01:41 AM   #32
Grant
Fleet Captain

^That reminded me--when my oldest girl was 8 or 9 she liked Data a lot and was probably one of the main reasons she got into TNG at that age.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 07:47 PM   #33
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Revanche wrote: View Post
Wow...long time lurker, first post.

After being turned off Trek by the reboot, I've decided to introduce all that is good to my son (10 years old). I decided to start off with TNG because 1) Wesley appeals to a kid his age and B) let's be honest...TOS can be a bit dated and cerebral for some that age.

However, Kirk and Company absolutely need to be a part of my son's personal canon and during the artificial hiatus I've imposed between TNG seasons, I figured I'd introduce him to TOS, so that when it comes time to show ST VII, he'll understand the gravitas of the meeting of the two captains.

But, again, I don't want to bore him out of his mind (and away from Trek), so I really only want to show him those episodes that really matter to the TOS movies (ex: Space Seed), develop the core characters or are exciting.

So my question put to you is this: in Season 1, what are must-hit eps to show him? Our hiatus is about 2-3 months long (want him to salivate and dream about the various cliffhangers), so I want to hit him up with the best 8 or 10 eps from Season 1.

Help appreciated,
Rev
Balance of Terror, Ultimate Computer, Doomsday Machine. Good intro eps for a young kid these days.

My stepdaughter's bf was introduced to ST09 and STID first, and loves that, the only series he hasn't been watching on Netflix is TOS...I'd start him off with those three if i can get around to getting him to watch it.

RAMA
Old January 18 2014, 10:16 PM   #34
Revanche
Ensign

Thanks, all for who posted their on-topic comments. It's been extremely helpful. These are the ten First Season TOS eps I chose (in the chronological order I've decided to show them):

Balance of Terror
Menagerie
Shore Leave
Squire of Gothos
Arena
Tomorrow Is Yesterday
Space Seed
Devil In the Dark
Errand of Mercy
City On the Edge of Forever

This way, if TOS does appeal to him he has plenty to go back and discover on his own (I definitely didn't leave only stinkers), but if it doesn't, at least he's set up for the TOS movies and on. Again, thanks for the helpful opinions.
Revanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 10:19 PM   #35
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Amok time great stand out episode !!!