IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 16 2014, 06:18 PM   #16
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: Stand-out Eps

DonIago wrote: View Post
This thread might be worth taking a look at - http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=235318

FWIW I rather enjoyed the reboot films and wish you hadn't taken a dig at them that's ultimately rather tangential to your thread. :|
Yeah taking a shot at JJ Trek was pointless and sad.

"Look at me--I hate new Trek--lets talk TOS."
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 07:15 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
FWIW I rather enjoyed the reboot films and wish you hadn't taken a dig at them that's ultimately rather tangential to your thread. :|

People take shots at all sorts of things they don't care for including TOS, TAS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and the every one of the films. Why should JJtrek be exempt?
Old January 16 2014, 07:19 PM   #18
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I believe the more pertinent question is why take the shot to begin with?

Did anyone claim JJ Trek was exempt? If so, I must have missed that.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 07:21 PM   #19
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Actually I think at this point the question is why bother to continue to call attention to it... It's now been the subject of 3+ posts in this thread. This is the TOS subforum, so let's keep talking about TOS...

Also remember what they say about feeding the trolls... just don't take the bait.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 07:23 PM   #20
Warped9
Admiral

People take shots at all sorts of things they don't care for including TOS, TAS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and the every one of the films. Why should JJtrek be exempt?

People come into the TOS forum and say it's campy, it's dated, it's cheesy, it's slow, it's boring, etc. TMP is boring, etc. So what makes JJtrek exempt from dissenting opinion?

All the OP said was that he was turned off by it. That's pretty damned civil and innocuous compared to many other things said about the films. So it strikes me that it isn't what the OP said, but simply that he said something at all.

Ridiculous.

More on topic, it might be tough to pick a stand out episode that isn't adult oriented. However, "The Troubles With Tribbles" should be acceptable even though I think there are better episodes. "There's also "I, Mudd" although that isn't really a stand out.
Old January 16 2014, 07:27 PM   #21
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
More on topic, it might be tough to pick a stand out episode that isn't adult oriented. However, "The Troubles With Tribbles" should be acceptable even though I think there are better episodes. "There's also "I, Mudd" although that isn't really a stand out.
I think I, Mudd is a good choice, since it's goofy fun and we're talking about episodes to get kids into Trek.
Old January 16 2014, 07:27 PM   #22
Grant
Fleet Captain

Long time lurker--first time poster and the first sentence in a brand new thread is a shot at JJ Trek?

My mind boggles.

Yes and I love the totally out of left field statement that I was claiming that JJTrek was exempt for criticism.

Obviously the point is---- why start a thread about TOS that way?

Is it just a superficial way of stating 'what team you're on' or a heads up to other posters to say "I'm with you"---?

Arguing the merits of any Trek vs any other Trek is fine but a pointless shot to achieve what? Alienate some people who might otherwise be interested in the topic? Mission accomplished.
Old January 16 2014, 07:31 PM   #23
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Long time lurker--first time poster and the first sentence in a brand new thread is a shot at JJ Trek?

My mind boggles.

Yes and I love the totally out of left field statement that I was claiming that JJTrek was exempt for criticism.

Is it just a superficial way of stating 'what team you're on' or a heads up to other posters to say "I'm with you"---?

Arguing the merits of any Trek vs any other Trek is fine but a pointless shot to achieve what? Alienate some people who might otherwise be interested in the topic? Mission accomplished.
Actually you're being far too sensitive.

All the OP did was give us a little context to why he's revisiting TOS.
He said he was off all of Trek for a while because JJ-Trek wasn't his cup of tea, and now he's re-exploring his relationship to Trek. That's all he said. We should instead certainly be welcoming him back into the Trekker fold and helping to nurture his love of Trek again.
Who knows you might have even found a way to link some TOS episode recommendations, etc. as a way to get him to rethink his position on the new movies.

Instead you've become defensive at the mere mention that someone didn't care for the JJ movies. He didn't crap all over them, he made an offhand remark about them.
Old January 16 2014, 07:34 PM   #24
Warped9
Admiral

My mind boggles.

And if he had said he had been excited by the JJ films then no one would have said a word. So it isn't that he made a reference to JJtrek it's that he expressed a negative or dissenting opinion.

Like I said, ridiculous.
Old January 16 2014, 07:42 PM   #25
Grant
Fleet Captain

And if someone dogged TOS in a thread that extolled JJTrek I would say the exact same thing---pointless and sad.

You can have your opinion and I will keep mine.

But I won't be mistaking someone whose every post declares Trek died in 1991 as an unbiased observer---you defend him because you agree with him---I criticize him on principle not because I love or hate any version of Trek.

Any thoughts on the actual point of this thread?

Oh wait your first post in this thread was to defend his shot at JJTrek.
Old January 16 2014, 07:46 PM   #26
SpHeRe31459
Captain

I must say I'm really surprised at this behavior here, TrekBBS has always been much more civilized and tolerant than other places.

The response here is much more like what you'd get if you posted anything the least bit negative about JJ Trek over at Trekmovie.com. Over there you are immediately swarmed by a group of people who just can not let any opinions other than "it's great" be allowed to continue.

And once again I'll point out that this is the TOS subforum, not the JJ-verse one. So stop harassing the OP about it.
Old January 16 2014, 07:49 PM   #27
Warped9
Admiral

And if someone dogged TOS in a thread that extolled JJTrek I would say the exact same thing---pointless and sad.

You can have your opinion and I will keep mine.

But I won't be mistaking someone whose every post declares Trek died in 1991 as an unbiased observer---you defend him because you agree with him---I criticize him on principle not because I love or hate any version of Trek.

Any thoughts on the actual point of this thread?

Oh wait your first post in this thread was to defend his shot at JJTrek.
I've seen plenty of posts postive on JJtrek in the TOS forum and not made comment. As has been said upthread the OP made an offhand remark that was pretty innocuous and then got on to the point of his thread.

Do I agree with him? Yes, but I didn't take his remark as an opening to rant further about the films. I just focused on the point he wanted to talk about. I didn't say anything until some in here started getting on his case for a harmless offhand remark.
Old January 16 2014, 08:07 PM   #28
Revanche
Ensign

There's also "I, Mudd" although that isn't really a stand out.
SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
I think I, Mudd is a good choice, since it's goofy fun and we're talking about episodes to get kids into Trek.
I kinda blanched at this suggestion, at first thought, because my recollection was that he was an unlikeable (note: to me) character. But when that shrill "Harcourt Fenton Mudd..." started spooling up in my head, I recalled the glee I always felt when he finally got his comeuppance.

I could see my son liking the Mudd character.
Revanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 08:22 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

Revanche wrote: View Post
There's also "I, Mudd" although that isn't really a stand out.
SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
I kinda blanched at this suggestion, at first thought, because my recollection was that he was an unlikeable (note: to me) character. But when that shrill "Harcourt Fenton Mudd..." started spooling up in my head, I recalled the glee I always felt when he finally got his comeuppance.

I could see my son liking the Mudd character.
In "Mudd's Women" Harry Mudd has an edge to him. That edge was totally erased when we see him again in "I, Mudd" and TAS' "Mudd's Passion." After his introductory story Harry becomes simply a buffoon. But then Harry's metamorphosis was also a reflection on how the show itself had changed. With TOS' third season trying to get back to the sensibility of the first season it makes me wonder how they would have dealt with Mudd if he had shown up in the final season.
Old January 16 2014, 11:18 PM   #30
Grant
Fleet Captain

Mudd's Women--hated when I was 10 and have always hated it.

Top 3 worst episodes of season 1 IMO

When I was little I liked the 'action' episodes and as I got older I liked the episodes with a subtle message more and more and of course appreciated the dramatic episodes more as well.

Then to add insult the ONLY non Starfleet character to ever get a reprise in TOS was Mudd.

I wonder if the fact that modern TV and movies do action so much bigger (if not better) would dilute a young persons opinion of TOS action episodes? My kids, now grown, range from 'tolerate to like' TOS but they like the newer series and movies much more. Kind of sad to me who has been a fan for 43 years.