RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 610
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 14 2014, 11:35 PM   #31
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: What is your Personal Canon?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Surely Wrath of Khan and everything after until TNG comes under the same umbrella, since Starfleet officers in that era wear similar militaristic dress uniforms but while on regular regular duty?
I don't recall that Gene Roddenberry was excited about these militaristic overtones and the violence in general that unfolded with TWOK.

The thing with nuTrek for me is that when I saw all those scenes with parade uniforms, the hangar assembly etc. the opening fanfare from "Starship Troopers" came to my mind with everybody saying "I'm doing my part". A really cool addition is the UFP cogwheel flag, so I'm seriously considering editing a youtube video with the sounds and music from "Starship Troopers" but with images from nuTrek. Sounds like fun.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 12:06 AM   #32
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Last edited by USS Triumphant; January 15 2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: It was too big. I wouldn't want to... scare the hell out of everybody. :D
USS Triumphant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 12:25 AM   #33
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I'd like to disavow STV the movie and Voyager's Threshold.
Old January 15 2014, 01:21 AM   #34
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Can we get rid of Masks and (yawn) Inner Light too?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 01:31 AM   #35
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Inner Light?! No. Well, you can. More for the rest of us.

(Not sure how that would work, really, but still - MORE FOR US.)
Old January 15 2014, 01:42 AM   #36
Shat Happens
Captain

"If it's on the screen it's canon."

I like that.

Kirk died in the NCC1701-B, Picard hallucinated all the 2nd half of Generations, everybody else died. It's all there on the screen.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 02:12 AM   #37
2takesfrakes
Commodore

TOS - Canon! What a campy, FUN introduction to the STAR TREK universe!
TAS - Not Canon.
TOS MOVIES - Canon!
TNG - Canon! It is, after all, the truest interpretation of Gene Roddenberry's bold vision for the future of Humanity! Every utterance and activity is absolute gospel.
TNG MOVIES - Canon!
DS9 - Canon up until Michael Dorn insinuates himself into the proceedings and DS9 keeps trying to be more like TNG!
VOY - Canon when it's KesFULL! A matter of opinion once it's KesLESS! I think Seven's charming, but you have to get to know her. Otherwise, she reminds me of a buggy-eyed, skanky ho in her painted on tights.
ENT - Seasons 3 & 4 Canon!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 02:46 AM   #38
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Can we get rid of Masks and (yawn) Inner Light too?

When I imagine what a bad acid trip would be like, it would probably be "Masks".
Old January 15 2014, 02:46 AM   #39
Use of Time
Commodore

I personally haven't seen every incarnation of Star Trek enough that my mind requires me to reconcile my own sense of canon or continuity. I've been through the complete series of TOS, ENT, VOY and DS9 exactly one time. I've probably seen most TNG episodes a few times due to their continued replay on t.v. I pretty much absorb what I am watching and move on.

I am currently working my way through the novels going all the way back to the early numbered pocket books. Continuity kind of stretches and bends a little bit in those early TOS novels but as long as it stays consistent in that particular story I don't mind. Some of the newer novels I have read have opted to go back and tie up loose threads either through a "Lost Era" type story or a mini sequel to a particular episode. Sometimes these are so subtle that I am not even aware the writer is doing it. I started using Memory Beta to jog my memory so I can appreciate what the writer is trying to do. Trying to weave this giant tapestry out of all the shows, movies and novels seems overwhelming and exhausting to me. I have always enjoyed consuming Star Trek one series, story arc, episode, or book at a time.

This is not a knock on those that want things to fit nicely. I know people like the timeliners, fan fiction/fan production enthusiasts and the professional TrekLit writer's themselves either need to or enjoy trying to reconcile the Star Trek universe.
Old January 15 2014, 03:26 AM   #40
BigJake
Rear Admiral

BobtheGunslinge wrote: View Post
We all have some movies or episodes we wish didn't exist. Sometimes, there are single aspects of otherwise great series that we could do without. With the new reboot and the Trek Lit dueling timelines version of canon, Star Trek is a very easy series in which to have a canon cafeteria, where one can take what one likes and leave the rest. Do you have a preferred Personal Canon? If so, what is in it? What makes you keep what is in your Personal Canon? Or what do you throw out and why?
Yes, yes I do have preferences when it comes to my "historical documents." Definitely. (Nods in deference to That Guy. Thank you for Being That Guy. Continuity it is.)

TOS is the core of my favored Trek continuity, and not even all of TOS: I am more than happy to pretend that Turnabout Intruder and The Alternative Factor simply never happened. TMP and TWOK are the core of my favored movie franchise continuity, especially the latter.

The TOS movie franchise post-TWOK -- especially but not solely TFF -- are adapted memoirs penned by Kirk after a breakdown occasioned by the events of The Wrath of Khan forced his retirement.

TNG and DS9 depict a possible future or parallel universe of TOS. VOY is a popular fanfic written by Kathryn Janeway (who in her real life was perhaps a filing clerk or something). ENT is The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, describing an alternate timeline of no significance at all. The TNG movie franchise is an extended nightmare experienced by Patrick Stewart after eating some bad salmon.

NuTrek is the result of a holodeck malfunction that spontaneously combined elements of TOS and Captain Proton with, for reasons unknown, copious lens flares and product placements from the early 21st century.

Last edited by BigJake; January 15 2014 at 03:45 AM.
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 03:30 AM   #41
BigJake
Rear Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Inner Light?! No. Well, you can. More for the rest of us.

(Not sure how that would work, really, but still - MORE FOR US.)
+1

(And that goes for "Masks" too.)
Old January 15 2014, 03:37 AM   #42
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, anything onscreen that's part of the Tommy Westphall Universe is canon.
Old January 15 2014, 03:37 AM   #43
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

All the movies and all the episodes.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 03:59 AM   #44
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
As far as I'm concerned, anything onscreen that's part of the Tommy Westphall Universe is canon.
I would love to pitch a show called Westphall in which a group of adventurers jump from show to show in the Tommy Westphall Universe, trying to repair the fabric of reality as Tommy goes mad.
Old January 15 2014, 04:13 AM   #45
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post