Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Star Trek-Planet of the Apes #2
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old January 15 2014, 03:12 AM   #76
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Hugo Weaving and Michael Fassbender are now rumored to be up for roles in next year's Episode VII, with talk that the genre fan favorite Weaving is up for the role of an unnamed Imperial officer of the post-Palpatine era.

J.J. Abrams and screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan have also supposedly been retooling the script of the new film to focus more heavily on the classic Troika from the OT (Luke, Leia and Han) and less on any secondary heroes such as theoretical offspring of the previous episodes' heroes. Thoughts? Facebook and other websites have been replete with posters who don't care much for the idea of fifty/sixtysomething Luke and Leia and a seventyish Han running around as action heroes in the Sequel Trilogy, with some even saying that Harrison Ford's turn as Indiana Jones in Crystal Skull demonstrated that his days as a believable action hero are behind him. Me? I want to see the classic heroes and the Skywalker Twins again, but it might be very wise to let younger characters take much more prominent roles in Episodes VIII and IX so that the Skywalker family legacy and/or the restored Jedi Order can take the spotlight to usher in a great new era in galactic history.

There's only so much that Hamill, Ford and Fisher can pull off these days without being turned into CGI cartoons whirling and spinning all over the screen.
Good lord about that latest Star Wars rumor. As one poster said, the original trio already have a final sendoff...it was called Return of the Jedi. Look, I think they should be back and have screen time but basing an entire movie movie around them is ****ing nuts! Seriously, Kathleen Kennedy and Disney think that would be a great idea? This was why they hired JJ Abrams? That is how they want to build a new Star Wars, by wheeling the original trio out from a retirement home and making them the focus of an entire movie? I'm actually concerned that this rumor might be true.

If true, this should be Exhibit A as to why fanboys should not be put in charge of franchises. It will also reinforce the belief that as a filmmaker, JJ doesn't have an original bone in his body. He revels in nostalgia while not trying to create anything of his own. JJ Abrams everyone, the new Spielberg.

If Lucas had come up with this idea, it would have been ripped on by people on the internet and rightfully so.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 03:13 AM   #77
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

The regional comedy clubs now have direct control over their audiences.

Drinks will keep the local audiences in line. Drinks like Jagermeister.
And what of cynicism? If the cynics have obtained a complete cinematic critique of the Prequel Trilogy, it is possible — however unlikely — that they might find a weakness and exploit it.
Old January 15 2014, 04:51 AM   #78
kirk55555
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Also, I always say my opinion is just that, my opinion.
Your opinion based on not seeing the final product yet. Which is perfectly valid, because I have directors whose prior films I don't like either and there's no reason I have to see their new film in order to say that it's probably not for me. The difference being, once I know who's directing, and I know I'll probably not like it, I really don't have anything further to contribute to the thread, so I bow out from that point on. I don't continue to harp on that one single issue over and over again and dominate the entire thread with my complaints, which is something you do continuously, whether it's about Man of Steel or Christopher Nolan superhero films or Gal Gadot playing Wonder Woman or this.

That's
why people take issue with you, not just because they don't like your opinion. It's that you make every thread you participate in all about you and your one-note extremely premature opinion which you have no intention of altering, and you keep hammering that singular complaint into the ground when there's no room for a discussion to really develop from it. You need to learn that you don't have to grace everyone with your opinion about everything, especially if you're not even the slightest bit interested or encouraged about the project from the get go. Or, at the very least, once you've made your point the first time, and there's nowhere else to go with it, then let it go and let other people who are more interested in the subject matter than you continue the discussion.

As it is, it just looks like you enjoy being the center of attention, and discussing the movies themselves are secondary to that.
Fair enough. I just want to point out that I am very interested in the project, because its Star Wars. As a SW fan, it doesn't matter who is working on it, I have an interest in it. You don't have to be positive about something to be interested in it. Its a movie from a franchise I really like, there is no way I won't be following the news as it comes and I'll be interested in seeing what happens with it, regardless on the fact that I think it will suck.

Still, I get your point, so (absent some ground breaking, legitimate news about the movie) I'll bow out of the conversation.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 02:59 AM   #79
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I just want to point out that I am very interested in the project, because its Star Wars. As a SW fan, it doesn't matter who is working on it, I have an interest in it.
You certainly seem to care that J.J. Abrams is working on it and say he'll ruin the franchise. But whatever. To each their own.

Anyways, back to Episode VII casting....although there's probably little chance that he'd ever be a significant character with a hefty role to perform on-screen, I still wonder if Billy Dee Williams is going to be included in the script of Episode VII and if Lando Calrissian will be resurrected as some official or aging hero of the New Republic with some sort of special status as one of those who helped bring down Palpatine's rule. At one point Billy Dee said he'd be happy to reprise the role if asked and some rumors had not only Ford, Hamill, Fisher, the two droids and Chewie coming back for the sequel but also Williams as well as Denis Lawson as a mature Wedge Antilles.

Keep those old Colt .45s nice and chilled just in case.

- Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 04:24 AM   #80
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I'd love Wedge and Lando to be there, too!
Old January 17 2014, 04:56 AM   #81
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

It'd be pretty entertaining to have Lando and Wedge return in some formal leadership capacity in the New Republic government, either as civil officials or perhaps in positions of military authority. Billy Dee's character won a lot of affection in ESB and ROTJ and unless J.J. and Kasdan decide to be very strict about how many of the Old Guard get into the new film I think it'd be a good idea to give Lando at least a few scenes just so we know what happened to his character in the three decades following the Battle of Endor.

Going through the OT characters who'd make at least marginal sense to resurrect in one form or another if the Abrams/Kasdan team would happen see fit:

Luke

Leia

Han

Chewbacca

C-3PO

R2-D2

Lando

Wedge

Yoda (Force Spirit voiced by Frank Oz)

Obi-Wan (Force Spirit portrayed by Ewan McGregor with possible CGI morphing between the character's Prequel appearance and that of Sir Alec Guinness)

Anakin (Force Spirit portrayed by Hayden Christensen)

There are also other Rebel leaders we met in ROTJ who could be revived as much older versions of themselves such as Ackbar, Mon Mothma and General Madine, though once you get past the main characters in the OT the clutter starts to build up fast unless J.J. and Lawrence write an older Mon Mothma a glorified cameo as the aging matriarch of the Rebellion and New Republic and she wouldn't get much screentime at all (not that her character got much to do in the previous films - in JEDI she didn't have much dialogue and all her scenes as a younger Senator and co-founder of the resistance against Palpatine were left on the cutting room floor of SITH).

- Jonathan Archer, 2151
Old January 17 2014, 05:04 AM   #82
sojourner
Admiral

I really want to see the return of Tusken Raider #3. His fate was never resolved in the OT.
Old January 17 2014, 05:17 AM   #83
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

I assure you, he's quite dead.

Wipes off garrotte
Old January 17 2014, 05:27 AM   #84
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

There are also other Rebel leaders we met in ROTJ who could be revived as much older versions of themselves such as Ackbar, Mon Mothma and General Madine
Not a leader per se, but Nien Nunb really earned his place. I'd expect that what's left of the Empire would put a contract out on him, since he probably saved quite a few ships, if not the whole frakkin' attack.

I'd appreciate even just seeing him once in the background.
Old January 17 2014, 02:55 PM   #85
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Luke

Leia

Han

Chewbacca

C-3PO

R2-D2
I'd say these ones are pretty much guaranteed, aren't they?
Old January 17 2014, 03:07 PM   #86
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The droids everybody agrees on. But there are quite a few fans out there who don't want to see the other characters again, dragging up every geriatric joke and excuse they can think of to exclude them from a story set 30 years after JEDI. I'm a fan who acknowledges the age issues, but I don't want to exclude the characters because of them.

Some fans apparently think that Han, Leia and Luke are going to be hobbling around on walkers and in wheelchairs complaining about loud noises or something.

- Jonathan Archer, 2151
Old January 17 2014, 04:12 PM   #87
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't want to see Luke freaking Skywalker in a SW sequel trilogy is an ass.
Old January 17 2014, 06:27 PM   #88
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, it's Luke's turn to be the wise old jedi master.
Old January 17 2014, 07:16 PM   #89
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Well, old anyway. For all we know, he could still start off the movie by complaining that he still hasn't gone to Tosche Station to pick up his power converters.
Old January 17 2014, 07:22 PM   #90
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Power converter pickup delays lasting 35 years? Thanks a lot, Space Obama.

- Jonathan Archer, 2151