RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 489
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 1 2014, 05:36 PM   #481
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Oh, I dunno, I think there's some 15+ year later revisionism going on, there. I guess you never know.
Old April 1 2014, 05:49 PM   #482
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

There's a cast. They just haven't publicly announced it yet, that's all. A brand new Star Wars movie isn't going to start shooting within a month's time without the cast being assembled and ready to call to the sets when needed.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 06:17 PM   #483
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^^ One of JJ's lost buddies, Dominic Monohan says this;

Yoda says to pick unknowns
"We’ve talked a few times about it and he said 'We’re putting together a cast of unknowns – we want to follow the ’77 New Hope cast because obviously Harrison Ford wasn’t well known at that point, Mark Hamill wasn’t and Carrie Fisher wasn’t either'…What he said was, 'We don’t want to fall into that mistake of people going 'Oh it’s that guy from that thing!' and then you’re completely out of the Star Wars universe.'"
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 06:56 PM   #484
Casas9425
Lieutenant

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I guarantee you they have their cast... it's set in stone. They just aren't just telling us yet
That's not the way Hollywood works, they wouldn't be able to hide something like that.
Casas9425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 07:19 PM   #485
RoJoHen
Awesome

You'd be surprised how well Hollywood can keep secrets when they really want to. The cast members could be under contract not to talk about anything.
Old April 1 2014, 07:35 PM   #486
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Given Harrison Ford's standoffish attitude about discussing Episode VII when questioned by talk shows hosts and interviewers (admittedly it's been carried to comic extremes at least once for the purpose of performing a funny bit on a show) I'd say that any of the potential actors have had their lips contractually sealed shut by Lucasfilm and Disney. Hollywood can't keep a lid on everything but they can still keep the most important things quiet if they try hard enough.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 07:45 PM   #487
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

The have an actual sarlacc at the studio ready to be fed actors who go rogue, and CGI puppet replacements are standing by. They won't talk.
Old April 1 2014, 07:54 PM   #488
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

"We’ve talked a few times about it and he said 'We’re putting together a cast of unknowns – we want to follow the ’77 New Hope cast because obviously Harrison Ford wasn’t well known at that point, Mark Hamill wasn’t and Carrie Fisher wasn’t either'…What he said was, 'We don’t want to fall into that mistake of people going 'Oh it’s that guy from that thing!' and then you’re completely out of the Star Wars universe.'"
I don't disagree but then you get a Hayden Christiansen and Jake Lloyd.

Of course, we don't know how much of that is directing.
Old April 1 2014, 08:04 PM   #489
Aragorn
Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
There's a cast. They just haven't publicly announced it yet, that's all. A brand new Star Wars movie isn't going to start shooting within a month's time without the cast being assembled and ready to call to the sets when needed.
You don't do that with Star Wars, but Uwe Boll does that all the time. That's how you get Ray Liotta, Burt Reynolds, Leelee Sobieski and Matthew Lilliard together in a godawful period fantasy adventure playing roles they're completely wrong for.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 08:07 PM   #490
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Given Harrison Ford's standoffish attitude about discussing Episode VII when questioned by talk shows hosts and interviewers (admittedly it's been carried to comic extremes at least once for the purpose of performing a funny bit on a show) I'd say that any of the potential actors have had their lips contractually sealed shut by Lucasfilm and Disney. Hollywood can't keep a lid on everything but they can still keep the most important things quiet if they try hard enough.
Filming it in Britain probably helps too where they are out of Hollywood and where I'd imagine it's difficult to keep a secret.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:41 AM   #491
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Oh, I dunno, I think there's some 15+ year later revisionism going on, there. I guess you never know.
Yes we do know. It's just some people not wanting to acknowledge that Lucas isn't some evil overlord out to make the fans' lives miserable.

(Lucas or Lucasfilm thought people would confuse him with Anakin Skywalker)
It was the editors who made the decision. The same ones who then turned Jacen into a Sithlord. They are the same people who haven't had an original idea since the end of NJO.
Old April 2 2014, 11:02 AM   #492
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The first question from this clip addresses the casting of episode 7 and Disney's secrecy. This was from the other day!

Campea says that he believes the cast has been set for a very long time.

He thinks they have something big in mind.
Old April 2 2014, 01:57 PM   #493
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't think anyone with half a brain thought for a second that a film of this magnitude would get 4 weeks from production without the main cast locked in. Remember, for better or worse this is a J.J. Abrams joint and that cat prides himself as being the master of the movie marketing mystery box.

Expect some cryptic teasers and probably some ARG activity in the very near future.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 01:57 PM   #494
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Yes we do know. It's just some people not wanting to acknowledge that Lucas isn't some evil overlord out to make the fans' lives miserable.

(Lucas or Lucasfilm thought people would confuse him with Anakin Skywalker)
It was the editors who made the decision. The same ones who then turned Jacen into a Sithlord. They are the same people who haven't had an original idea since the end of NJO.
Spare me - I hardly think Lucas was evil, even if he was the one who made the decision. (I imagine it was below his paygrade)

Back then the story was that Lucas made that decision - I don't know what happened and probably nobody who would say so does.

Anakin had been in a place to take the heroic role - using Jacen instead definitely came out of nowhere back then. It seemed like it was shoe-horned in. Maybe it was editorial, but they had watch over the story up to that point so it's not like they would've been surprised at Anakin's role.
Old April 2 2014, 02:36 PM   #495
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
that cat prides himself as being the master of the movie marketing mystery box.
It's more of a litter box.