Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2014, 01:13 PM   #436
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote:
...Yeah, I'm really not buying it. Positively wreaks of a fan invented rumour.
There seems to be a rising tide of assumption that the new films will be all about recreating the EU. It's like in the 90s when people kept saying the Thrawn books would be the basis of the next movies.
You know that thinking never made sense to me. I mean they were great as a trilogy of novels, but they'd stink if adapted into a trilogy of films. Really speaking there's only one film in there, at most. Not a very good one at that.

But yeah, I don't think Disney hired the likes of JJ Abrams just to have him adapt the work of some second or third rate authors.

At most we might find some familiar EU character's popping up, but mostly in name only. If they even do that much, whatever they come up with you can bet it will be a different take on the character.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 01:20 PM   #437
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
You know that thinking never made sense to me. I mean they were great as a trilogy of novels, but they'd stink if adapted into a trilogy of films. Really speaking there's only one film in there, at most. Not a very good one at that.
Considering that Abrams completely ripped off Wrath of Khan for STID would anyone really be surprised that he'd go to the EU for material?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 02:51 PM   #438
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Considering that Abrams completely ripped off Wrath of Khan for STID would anyone really be surprised that he'd go to the EU for material?
No. Abrams is an unoriginal, sticky-fingered hack, so no one should expect anything close to the best of the SW movies.
Old March 27 2014, 06:13 PM   #439
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Considering that Abrams completely ripped off Wrath of Khan for STID
In all of one scene, plus the "needs of the many" quip in the volcano. That's it.
Old March 27 2014, 06:17 PM   #440
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

Yeah, for real. I'm not going to pretend that STID was anything approaching the most original science fiction movie ever made but calling it a ripoff of TWOK when just a few brief scenes are direct callbacks to the 1982 film is a bit much.

Unless the presence of Khan Noonien Singh in the second movie in this new timeline in and of itself is ripping off TWOK, but even then it doesn't meet the strict definition of a ripoff since Khan's history after being released from cryogenic freeze aboard the Botany Bay is now radically different from what it was in the Prime history.

No Genesis Device. No Ceti Alpha V. Khan doesn't die. You get the point.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 08:28 PM   #441
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

I'd like to ask that STID vs TWOK not be played out in this thread, thanks. There's a whole forum for that!
Old March 28 2014, 02:07 AM   #442
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

I'll second that. Try to keep the "Abrams ruined Trek" comments in other threads. We have more than enough Lucas-oriented geekwank to discuss.

Old March 28 2014, 06:51 AM   #443
Aragorn
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'd like to ask that STID vs TWOK not be played out in this thread, thanks. There's a whole forum for that!
How about STID vs. Grown Ups 2 then?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 08:41 AM   #444
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

About that Caedus rumor; it's total BS.

We've known from the beginning that the story is 100% original and is not going to be drawing on or adapting any story arc(s) from the existing EU material.
Old March 28 2014, 12:21 PM   #445
Mr Light
Admiral

While they'll clearly be doing their own story with no regard to the EU... it's entirely possible they'll decide to have one of the Solo/Skywalker kids turn evil. It's the most obvious direction to go with the story. Abrams loves character drama and tension; isn't it better to have a family villain than some external character with no emotional connection to our characters?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 02:25 PM   #446
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
While they'll clearly be doing their own story with no regard to the EU... it's entirely possible they'll decide to have one of the Solo/Skywalker kids turn evil. It's the most obvious direction to go with the story. Abrams loves character drama and tension; isn't it better to have a family villain than some external character with no emotional connection to our characters?
Exactly. It's the most logical / emotional way to make the story a compelling drama. Also, for one of the solo children to make the very same mistakes their grandfather made in turning to the dark side is right out of Shakespeare.
Old March 28 2014, 05:04 PM   #447
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't go so far as to say they'd write the scripts with "no regard" to the EU. Just because the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe will be largely jettisoned or heavily overhauled doesn't mean that elements won't be affectionately inserted and some ideas won't get used, albeit in altered form to reflect the "new" history following the victory at Endor.

We could still see the Solo Twins, Ben Skywalker or Grand Admiral Thrawn surface. Just because the books themselves and the rigid sequence of events they've depicted will no longer be adhered to doesn't mean we won't see some of the characters plucked out, tweaked and dropped into the new scripts to play out an all-new sequence of events.

Old March 28 2014, 05:15 PM   #448
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

IF they use anything from the EU, it will probably be names only, so if we WERE to get characters named Jacen, Jaina, Ben, etc., the chances are highly likely that they would have completely original backhistories and characterization completely separate from the EU.
Old March 28 2014, 05:57 PM   #449
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
IF they use anything from the EU, it will probably be names only, so if we WERE to get characters named Jacen, Jaina, Ben, etc., the chances are highly likely that they would have completely original backhistories and characterization completely separate from the EU.
I don't think Abrams or Lawrence Kasdan [who is actually writing the script] will follow the EU exactly, but having one of the Solo children turn to the dark side IMO is a very compelling storyline.
Old March 28 2014, 06:22 PM   #450
sojourner
Admiral

A Solo kid going dakr would be pretty handy. They wouldn't even have to pick a new Sith name as "Darth Solo" sounds pretty spiffy.

My guess is that the only element brought over from the EU will be Lando bringing hot chocolate into the known galaxy.