RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 505
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 24 2014, 07:31 AM   #331
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
It was the nighttime blood test scene. Lucas was wondering if people would notice that Jake had experienced a growth spurt since his last scene in front of the cameras and I think he said something about Jake sitting down next to Liam Neeson being a big help in conveying the impression that no time had passed. Also, there wasn't much light shining on either actor so any differences in Jake's face and proportions were further masked.

Apparently it was a scene that George thought of and wanted to add to the movie, but didn't jump on it until the last possible minute and then he had to hurredly corral Liam, Jake and Pernilla to shoot it.
I noticed there was something unusual about Jake's face, but I didn't know that that was the explanation. I appreciate it! I really like that scene too, especially when Anakin says that he wants to be the first person "to see them all", i.e. visit all the stars in the sky.
Old February 24 2014, 08:23 AM   #332
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Ever since Episode VII was first announced I've had this image in my head of Ewan returning to the Saga as Obi-Wan's Force ghost, but his spirit would first materialize as a CGI recreation of Alec Guinness, the way Luke always saw him years earlier. Then the Alec Guinness image would morph into Ewan McGregor with Obi-Wan saying something along the lines of: "This is how I looked when I was a younger man. When I was a Jedi in the prime of my life. When your father and I were still friends."
The issue I have with this is: why would he bother?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:28 PM   #333
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Because he's bored? Having been stuck playing dejarik for years with Anakin's and Yoda's ghosts and Qui-Gon's disembodied voice?
Old February 24 2014, 12:45 PM   #334
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

He's a disembodied spirit in a fictional universe where little green guys speak in backward talk and some people drink blue milk.

If they need a reason they'll come up with one. And they will.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 12:56 PM   #335
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

At this point I find it really hard to be excited because of this.
All my heroes are old by now, I've never even cared about Han's and Leia's kids in the novels and Mara Jade won't be in this movie either.
I know, they can tell a completely new story but why not just develop a new franchise then?
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 11:55 PM   #336
JD
Admiral

I would love to see them find a way to work some of the PT cast members into the post-RoTJ movies. It would help make the series feel more like a united whole.
Old February 25 2014, 12:04 AM   #337
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I would love to see them find a way to work some of the PT cast members into the post-RoTJ movies. It would help make the series feel more like a united whole.
The easiest way would be for Luke to discover a Jedi holocron recording at the Jedi temple. You could literally get everyone back for that.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 01:08 AM   #338
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

And don't forget, there's been the longstanding talk that Samuel Jackson might find some way of getting involved. He was one of the first celebs and SW veterans to publicly speak out after the announcement of the new films and even though he joked that he, Ewan and Mark Hamill probably won't get asked we all know that Mark is returning as Luke and there's a very strong chance that McGregor will reprise Obi-Wan in some form or another.

If Sam Jackson really, really wants to take part in Episode VII it'd be very hard for J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm to get away with saying no. A one-handed old man living in exile or a holorecording, Sam will come back if he can find a way.

Old February 25 2014, 01:15 AM   #339
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

I like Samuel L. Jackson but he was fucking awful in the prequels. It might have been down to George Lucas' piss poor way of actually directing actors but man... all he did was rolling his eyes and opening them really wide.
I don't think I want to ever again see him in a Star Wars movie.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 01:19 AM   #340
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

A lot of that was probably Lucas. I like George Lucas a lot and love and respect what he's created over the past four decades, but that man would have trouble directing traffic in a small town.

He had Samuel L. Jackson and Natalie Portman at his disposal and could barely get anything out of them much of the time. Thankfully Ian McDiarmid skillfully and masterfully rose above and beyond George's direction and instructions.

Old February 25 2014, 01:35 AM   #341
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
I like Samuel L. Jackson but he was fucking awful in the prequels. It might have been down to George Lucas' piss poor way of actually directing actors but man... all he did was rolling his eyes and opening them really wide.
I don't think I want to ever again see him in a Star Wars movie.
True. But on the other hand, his wooden, dismissive demeanor underscored a Jedi Order that was too reliant on dogma ("The Code forbids it!") and needed to be revitalized. So while his performance isn't what we would want to see from someone as capable as Jackson, it does convey a character you want to see knocked down a peg or two (or, rather, have his hand chopped off before being thrown out a window).
Old February 26 2014, 07:33 AM   #342
JD
Admiral

I've always thought that Lucas had really good ideas, he just wasn't very good at actually bringing those ideas onto screen himself. I think it says a lot that the best movie in the series, The Empire Strikes Back, is one of only two he didn't write and direct himself. I also like Return of Jedi better than A New Hope myself, but I think I'm in the minority there. Not to mention that The Clone Wars is better than most of the movies.
Old February 26 2014, 07:57 AM   #343
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Except that TESB isn't really better than ANH.
Old February 26 2014, 10:29 PM   #344
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah ESB might be a lot deeper and richer, but to me the ideal version of SW will always be the lighter and more cornball version we saw in ANH.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 10:29 PM   #345
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Episode VII's lead villain has been cast.

No real details and thus no spoiler material, but I have to say this is an interesting casting decision if this story is indeed true.