Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 15 2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Re: Harry Mudds fate: Cruel and unusual punishment?

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
By the way, is "I, Mudd" a play on words for"I, Robot"?
More likely that both are derived from "I, Claudius".

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 02:30 PM   #17
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Given that "I, Robot" is a story about a robot and "I, Mudd" is about robots, my money is on that connection.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 07:33 PM   #18
Anwar
Vice Admiral

About "Space Seed", I kind of wondered why no one knew about Khan's crew left on Ceti Alpha V. I mean, McGivers being sentenced to stay with Khan would've had to be in some report Kirk sent back, right? Wouldn't her family or something probably ask for someone to go in and check up on her occasionally? Or try to fight Kirk's decision?

Unless she had no family.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 11:39 PM   #19
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I can only presume McGivers signed some form of waiver or recorded a message for her relatives, if she had any.

Frankly, I don't no how the Federation ensures that planets considered off-limits are not visited by traders or curious adventurers. We only got a hint in "Wink of an Eye":

KIRK: If I sent you to Scalos, you'd undoubtedly play the same trick on the next spaceship that passed by.
DEELA: There won't be any others. You'll warn them. Your federation will quarantine the entire area.
KIRK: Yes, I suppose it would.

The only practical way I could think of would be the deployment of surveillance satellites.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 01:12 AM   #20
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Kirk said something about putting up a warning beacon near the planet in "Plato's Stepchildren".

Wonder why he didn't do so for Ceti Alpha V.

Of course, the bigger question in WoK was how Chekov could no longer count to 6 properly.
Old January 16 2014, 03:57 AM   #21
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
^^^Mudd's Angels contains three stories: adaptations of Mudd's Women and I, Mudd and the stry you mention called The Business, As Usual, During Altercations, which I just read a synopsis of. Profoundly stupid.
Trouble looms when Chekov realizes that Liticia is actually Mudd, the android planet where they left Harry Mudd.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 02:31 PM   #22
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Anwar wrote: View Post
Kirk said something about putting up a warning beacon near the planet in "Plato's Stepchildren".
I'm afraid not, here is the dialogue:

PARMEN: There's no need for concern. They'll be safe. Of late, I have begun to think that we've become bizarre and unproductive. We are existing merely to nourish our own power. It's time for some fresh air. We shall welcome your interstellar visits.
KIRK: I don't believe you.
SPOCK: That would be highly uncharacteristic. We must expect, Parmen, that the moment we leave here, your fear would be gone and you would again be as sadistic and as arrogant as your twenty five hundred years have made you. KIRK: Just remember, we can recreate that power in a matter of hours, so don't try anything.

But I'd think he would have put a warning beacon and/or surveillance satellite into orbit (but didn't tell, so it couldn't be destroyed by Parmen and Co.)

Of course, the bigger question in WoK was how Chekov could no longer count to 6 properly.
The plot hole was that Khan rembered having seen Chekov (somewhere in "Space Seed") but Chekov had forgotten the name of the system where Khan and Co. had been marooned (or the entire hearing and its outcome was so confidential that only the senior officers and a few redshirts knew that Khan and Co. had actually been sent to the planet's surface ).

The novelization claims that Reliant and her crew had been so exhausted by the time they reached Ceti Alpha VI that their minds, especially Chekov's, had turned into clay.

Bob
Old January 16 2014, 04:32 PM   #23
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
The novelization claims that Reliant and her crew had been so exhausted by the time they reached Ceti Alpha VI that their minds, especially Chekov's, had turned into clay.

Bob
That's kind of what duty shift rotations are for...
Old January 16 2014, 04:49 PM   #24
Warped9
Admiral

The problem with a lot of films and television episodes is the writers want certain things to happen, but they rarely figure out how to logically structure things so that the desired events make sense.
Old January 17 2014, 12:22 AM   #25
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ If that weren't the case some of us probably wouldn't be here, trying to come up with plausible rationalizations.

Bob
Old January 17 2014, 12:42 AM   #26
Warped9
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
^^ If that weren't the case some of us probably wouldn't be here, trying to come up with plausible rationalizations.

Bob
True.
Old January 17 2014, 07:31 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

About "Space Seed", I kind of wondered why no one knew about Khan's crew left on Ceti Alpha V. I mean, McGivers being sentenced to stay with Khan would've had to be in some report Kirk sent back, right? Wouldn't her family or something probably ask for someone to go in and check up on her occasionally? Or try to fight Kirk's decision?

Unless she had no family.
Hah! I came to the same conclusion writing To Reign In Hell, in which I established that Marla was an orphan with no close family, her parents having been killed in a tragic transporter accident . . . .

Beyond that, I imagine she was simply listed as deceased or "missing in action," along with innumerable other redshirts and redskirts.
Old January 17 2014, 07:48 PM   #28
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

I'm getting some kind of weird scene in my head whereas on the way to the transporter room, Dr. McCoy insists Khan and McGivers speak with the ship's counselor for individual consultations to determine if this is really what they want.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 01:21 PM   #29
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ McGivers, yes. But Khan, the former king of Earth, talking to the ship's counselor?!? I lack the imagination to visualize such a scene in my head...

Bob
Old January 18 2014, 05:18 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I'm getting some kind of weird scene in my head whereas on the way to the transporter room, Dr. McCoy insists Khan and McGivers speak with the ship's counselor for individual consultations to determine if this is really what they want.
Ship's counselor? Why, we didn't have any touchy-feely "counselors" back on Kirk's Enterprise. Dr. McCoy just prescribed a shot of bourbon and told us to trust our guts, damnit!