Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 13 2014, 03:16 AM   #1
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

course:obilvion

I watched this episode yesterday and notice minor errors in the episode,like the duplicates are from dna from the original voyager crew,one thing I notice is the voyager itself,it is a man made object which doesn't have dna so how would the silver blood able to copy the voyager etc when there is no dna to copy from?.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:16 AM   #2
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: course:obilvion

The silver blood can copy literally anything. It doesn't require DNA. You'll notice it copied Harry and Tom's spacesuits in "Demon"...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

It's a plot hole.

More importantly, why did the duplicates from "Course: Oblivion" suddenly suffer from amnesia?
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:30 PM   #4
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ It wasn't sudden. We have no idea how long it took before they forgot who they were, because "Course: Oblivion" takes place a long time after they were duplicated.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 11:08 PM   #5
Akiraprise

One of my favorite episodes actually. I wish both crews could have met up briefly at the end.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2014, 03:29 AM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

It might have been nice if they barely got off an indication they existed before dying, but I like the way the episode ended.

If they had an opportunity to chat between crews they would have had to tell the real Voyager about the cool new warp technology they discovered that would have them home in a couple years. It's interesting how Demon-Voyager was much more successful than Voyager.

The biggest question is how they could have forgotten they were duplicates. The easy answer is, they copied the original crew's neural circuitry exactly. So once they were away from the demon planet and committed to that form, that neural circuitry did not contain any other information than they were the original Voyager crew.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 10:19 AM   #7
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The human memory is a malleable enough thing (just look at how Trek fans here ignore the existence of episodes like "Rascals" when heaping praise on TNG), when you add in alien replicas, they can forget anything the story need them to.

I love and hate "Course: Oblivion". It's excellent and utterly heartbreaking.
Old February 10 2014, 03:29 AM   #8
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

What I wonder about are their missions since "Demon" if they encountered any other cultures.

..Home in the city...
Lindemann's Catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 10:59 AM   #9
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^There was a really good novel called Battle Lines which was just a few details away (name of the aliens, whether they actually enlisted Voyager or just tried) from one of the duplicate Voyager's adventures Chakotay mentions.
Old February 12 2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Vandervecken
Commander

I really like dthis episode, too, although I wish they'd scripted it so we didn't find out the truth of what they were so soon.