RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,603
Posts: 5,424,989
Members: 24,805
Currently online: 447
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 16 2014, 02:00 PM   #46
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

Untrue! From the first, you ... you people ... have been derailing the topic of this thread - with assorted Shatner comparisons - which was meant to acknowledge and, perhaps, even celebrate the abilities and fine achievements of Sir Patrick Stewart and what he's brought to the STAR TREK legacy. And the fact is that William Shatner is not interested in maintaining his physique and has not been, since the 8O's. Am I meant to pretend otherwise? As to his acting abilities, they are what they are ... but, again, this thread is about Patrick Stewart, after all.
2takesfrakes is offline  
Old January 16 2014, 02:41 PM   #47
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Untrue! From the first, you ... you people ... have been derailing the topic of this thread - with assorted Shatner comparisons - which was meant to acknowledge and, perhaps, even celebrate the abilities and fine achievements of Sir Patrick Stewart and what he's brought to the STAR TREK legacy. And the fact is that William Shatner is not interested in maintaining his physique and has not been, since the 8O's. Am I meant to pretend otherwise? As to his acting abilities, they are what they are ... but, again, this thread is about Patrick Stewart, after all.
You asked for opinions.

So ... I was curious to see how many of you agree with this assessment that TNG's overall improved acting quality was - at least in part - due to Sir Patrick Stewart.
It's not our fault you don't like what you got.
urbandefault is offline  
Old January 16 2014, 03:10 PM   #48
Mutai Sho-Rin
Moderator
 
Mutai Sho-Rin's Avatar
 
Location: Orange, CA USA
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

I'm on the edge of closing this thread before it turns into a self-righteous food fight. Please cool the personal arguments and stick to the subject with some relevant content.
__________________
Into the sands of blood comes the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai. Babylon 5 - TKO
Mutai Sho-Rin is offline  
Old January 16 2014, 03:33 PM   #49
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

Makarov wrote: View Post
It's hard for me to believe that some of the powers that be behind TNG didn't want Patrick Stewart at first. It's just crazy to me that they almost missed him and probably would have gone with someone more like Kirk.
Riker was intended to be the "Kirk", so it's unlikely they's cast someone like Kirk for Picard.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old January 16 2014, 03:45 PM   #50
Shat Happens
Captain
 
Shat Happens's Avatar
 
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Makarov wrote: View Post
It's hard for me to believe that some of the powers that be behind TNG didn't want Patrick Stewart at first. It's just crazy to me that they almost missed him and probably would have gone with someone more like Kirk.
Riker was intended to be the "Kirk", so it's unlikely they's cast someone like Kirk for Picard.
That's because DC Fontana, I believe, pointed in the 1970s it made bad tactical sense for the captain and first officer and chief medical officer to endanger themselves together in away missions like always happened in TOS. If they died, the crew and the ship would be crippled.

So GR created Riker+Picard and that talk about away teams since their first scenes in the pilot.

The result was TNG Season One of course.
Shat Happens is online now  
Old January 16 2014, 06:03 PM   #51
Taranis
Lieutenant
 
Taranis's Avatar
 
Location: Dublin Ireland
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Untrue! From the first, you ... you people ... have been derailing the topic of this thread - with assorted Shatner comparisons - which was meant to acknowledge and, perhaps, even celebrate the abilities and fine achievements of Sir Patrick Stewart and what he's brought to the STAR TREK legacy. And the fact is that William Shatner is not interested in maintaining his physique and has not been, since the 8O's. Am I meant to pretend otherwise? As to his acting abilities, they are what they are ... but, again, this thread is about Patrick Stewart, after all.
Ah but you mention Shatner in your first post.
(Shatner just gave his usual Shatner peformance in Generations, unfortunately)
which prompted most of the reactions.

No one as far as I can tell is taking anything away from Patrick Stewart at all.. he is a great actor and very personable when dealing with fans (whatever the franchise).

If you want to applaud Patrick Stewart abilities I am right with you, a Tour de Force actor. but not at the expanse of another.

regards
__________________
My Blog.
Star Trek and some other Sci-fi
http://taraniscgi.wordpress.com/
Taranis is offline  
Old January 16 2014, 06:05 PM   #52
Taranis
Lieutenant
 
Taranis's Avatar
 
Location: Dublin Ireland
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Makarov wrote: View Post
It's hard for me to believe that some of the powers that be behind TNG didn't want Patrick Stewart at first. It's just crazy to me that they almost missed him and probably would have gone with someone more like Kirk.
Riker was intended to be the "Kirk", so it's unlikely they's cast someone like Kirk for Picard.
That's because DC Fontana, I believe, pointed in the 1970s it made bad tactical sense for the captain and first officer and chief medical officer to endanger themselves together in away missions like always happened in TOS. If they died, the crew and the ship would be crippled.

So GR created Riker+Picard and that talk about away teams since their first scenes in the pilot.

The result was TNG Season One of course.
Makes a lot of sense not taking all the command crew down as away team. would never have worked on the TOS at least for me..
__________________
My Blog.
Star Trek and some other Sci-fi
http://taraniscgi.wordpress.com/
Taranis is offline  
Old January 17 2014, 12:01 AM   #53
Mutai Sho-Rin
Moderator
 
Mutai Sho-Rin's Avatar
 
Location: Orange, CA USA
Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

After a PM request from the OP, I'm closing this thread. Sorry to have to do so.
__________________
Into the sands of blood comes the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai. Babylon 5 - TKO
Mutai Sho-Rin is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.