Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 13 2014, 07:31 PM   #61
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Fact checking These Are The Voyages....

Definitely. I have a few other quotes like that from the same period about Star Trek.

It puts to rest any notion that NBC didn't care about demographics (along with the idea that Nielsen didn't measure them!).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 07:41 PM   #62
Warped9
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Definitely. I have a few other quotes like that from the same period about Star Trek.

It puts to rest any notion that NBC didn't care about demographics (along with the idea that Nielsen didn't measure them!).
Cushman simply should have elaborated on this. It would have actually bolstered his argument because it would have explained it more fully. It isn't what he's saying is totally false, but that without a fuller explanation one could come to an incorrect interpretation or conclusion.

Mind you we don't yet know what the content of Volume 2 is so it's possible he might explain this more fully. But for myself I could see putting at least some of this in Volume 1.
Old January 13 2014, 07:57 PM   #63
Christopher
Writer

I was curious about this Tammy Grimes whose show was on opposite TOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Grimes

Small world -- turns out she was formerly married to Christopher Plummer. Amanda Plummer is her daughter. And she was the original choice to play Samantha on Bewitched, but got out of her contract to do a Noel Coward musical on Broadway.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 01:31 AM   #64
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Going further from the above goes to another point made earlier in the article: even a good performing show can be killed if someone doesn't like it for some reason or other just as a poor performing show can be propped up and kept going even if it's losing money simply because someone likes it.
The situation with LOU GRANT and TAXI kind of bears this out. LOU GRANT was a little ahead of TAXI in the ratings (and probably doing better in terms of Emmys as well), but when CBS killed GRANT (presumably because of Asner's politics as much as the mediocre ratings), nobody rushed to pick the show up, whereas another network grabbed up TAXI right away for another season (this is all according to stuff I remember from Ellison's AN EDGE IN MY VOICE.)

And for a 60s era example of arbitrariness, one of Ellison's GLASS TEAT volumes mentions that CBS had to decide between keeping HE & SHE and some BLONDIE/DAGWOOD abomination, and that the network prez was saying his job was on the line about whether he would choose correctly (fat chance of that, he didn't turn into Julian Glover in Indy 3 after making the horrendous choice to kill HE & SHE, a classy show I can remember loving, even though I was only 8 or so.) A lot of this stuff might just be guesswork or even faith ... I mean, CHEERS did lousy at first too.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 04:20 AM   #65
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Hill Street Blues was never a ratings powerhouse, yet it gave NBC a certain amount of positive cred that made it worth keeping around.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 06:06 AM   #66
CrazyMatt
Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
Hill Street Blues was never a ratings powerhouse, yet it gave NBC a certain amount of positive cred that made it worth keeping around.
Another of my favorite series (it's a crime they've only released the first two seasons on DVD). I clearly recall the critics LOVED HSB and NBC would have had barrels of bad ink spent on them had they cancelled it before it wound down after season seven.

I quote Wikipedia: "Hill Street Blues received rave reviews from critics initially in general alongside dismal Nielsen ratings."

.... as well as this great news: "On December 5, 2013, it was announced that Shout! Factory had acquired the rights to the series and will be releasing Hill Street Blues- The Complete Series on DVD in Region 1 on March 25, 2014."
Old January 16 2014, 01:50 AM   #67
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Thanks, Warped9, for restarting the thread. I've enjoyed reading these posts. The seeming misleading assertions of the author are definitely going to keep me from reading the book. Star Trek deserves a truly in-depth journalistic chronicle, and, sadly, it doesn't sound like this is it.
Old January 16 2014, 02:28 AM   #68
Warped9
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Thanks, Warped9, for restarting the thread. I've enjoyed reading these posts. The seeming misleading assertions of the author are definitely going to keep me from reading the book. Star Trek deserves a truly in-depth journalistic chronicle, and, sadly, it doesn't sound like this is it.
You're welcome. I simply felt there was more to discuss.

That said my general feeling isn't that the author is flat out wrong in some of his assertions, but rather they should be more clearly explained. Some things he said strike me as incorrect out of ignorance---he didn't double check to make certain of his facts. The two examples that come to mind are his idea that TOS introduced the miniskirt (it had already been established) and that NBC had no previous experience with science fiction (which Harvey has illustrated they had in the 1950s).

The main assertion he makes in regard to Star Trek's ratings being better than many of us have been led to believe all these decades is not off base because he's not claiming the show was a runaway hit. But he simply should have elaborated further. And, in fairness, he might just do that in the next volumes, but we don't see any indication of that in Volume 1.

Regarding all the other materiel in the book particularly the bulk of it which is the detailed story-behind-the-story of each episode. I find that materiel very interesting and it would be worth a book all on its own.

I still think this is a worthwhile read and I look forward to the next volumes even knowing about some of the flubs. There's still fascinating materiel to get out of this work.
Old January 16 2014, 04:16 AM   #69
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Warped9, I appreciate your seeing the good in this book that I rather enjoyed discussing in the now-defunct thread.
Old January 16 2014, 04:35 AM   #70
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Materiel is military materials and equipment.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old January 16 2014, 04:48 AM   #71
Warped9
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Materiel is military materials and equipment.
How about we just call it "stuff?"
Old January 16 2014, 08:07 AM   #72
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Or "material".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old January 17 2014, 09:57 PM   #73
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I'm up to "The Enemy Within" and I already don't enjoy Cushman injecting his views. Just give me the details about making the shows. I can form my own opinions, thank you very much.

Also, in "Mudd's Women" it states, "On June 31, Roddenberry's request was denied."

Neil
Old January 17 2014, 10:28 PM   #74
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Also, in "Mudd's Women" it states, "On June 31, Roddenberry's request was denied."

Neil
For me, that has got to be right up there with the press release about Clarke's 2001: a space odyssey novel that claims, "the year 1002 is only a short time away." (but to be fair, the 2001 goof was a computer error, not a human error.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 11:01 PM   #75
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Indysolo wrote: View Post

Neil
For me, that has got to be right up there with the press release about Clarke's 2001: a space odyssey novel that claims, "the year 1002 is only a short time away." (but to be fair, the 2001 goof was a computer error, not a human error.)
"It can only be attributable to human error."

Neil