Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 22 2014, 01:01 AM   #136
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Fact checking These Are The Voyages....

Use of the registration symbol or other notice is not mandatory in every jurisdiction, but it is important not only because it provides notice of the owner's trademark rights, but also because it may allow the owner to assert certain types of damages in lawsuits against infringers.
Source
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 08:55 PM   #137
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

The book cover, like much of the editorializing and television history stuff, is something that would've been much better left out rather than chancing being so wrong. It has questionable value in the first place.
Old January 24 2014, 10:19 PM   #138
Harvey
Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
With all of the shared sets, props and footage over at Fox, not to mention the increasingly small number of guest actors and large number of bottle shows, I can't imagine Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea or Lost in Space came close to what it cost to produce Star Trek. I believe in one of the Roddenberry biographies, there was a memo from NBC asking the Trek guys to compare the budgets between Trek and Voyage, since the ABC series cost less. After acquiring their budget sheets or something, Bob Justman found a number of reasons why the Irwin Allen shows were cheaper. There seems to be hints of creative accounting as well.

I'd love to see a thorough research project on Voyage myself.
Just found that memo today. Will go over it further when I get to it (I've accumulated quite a back-log of things I need to look at from UCLA), but the salient budget details are the following (report dated 8/28/67):

Mannix: $213,378
Mannix: $224,602
Mission: Impossible: $218,004
Star Trek: $189,696
Star Trek: $195,674
Voyage: $166,485
Man From U.N.C.L.E.: $150,158
Wild, Wild West: $181,108
Bonanza: $167,870
Gunsmoke: $192, 326
Batman: $184,232

These must be the budgets of select episode rather than season averages (explaining why there are two numbers for Trek and Mannix). Note: I've excluded some shows on the document, since they weren't as well-known.

There's a corresponding memo from Justman (which you must have read, at least in part, in one of the biographies, probably Alexander's) which explains some of the "creative accounting" which he suspects Voyage was doing to keep their budget low. But, that will take time to type up. For now, this will do.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 10:33 PM   #139
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^That figure for Batman must represent 2 half hour episodes (as per the first 2 seasons), since it was filmed essentially as an hour episode and split to air in over 2 nights.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old January 24 2014, 10:43 PM   #140
Harvey
Admiral

The document didn't indicate one way or another, but I suspect you're right, both for the reason you list as well as the fact that it would be an insane figure for 25 minutes of television.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 10:24 PM   #141
stcanada29
Lieutenant

FYI, here is a link to recent post on Gerald Gurian's website featuring a lengthy excerpt from "These Are The Voyages - TOS: Season Two" on the filming of the episode "Metamorphosis": http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...from-marc.html . Gurian precedes the excerpt with a book review which is, to be expected, very favorably disposed towards the book; though I've seen another review (by Wesley Britton of SeattlePI.com) that echoes Gurian's positive sentiments for this second volume. In the "Metamorphosis" excerpt, I think it's interesting how Shatner was unfriendly at first with guest star Elinor Donahue and had to be scolded by Director Senensky over his conduct. I don't recall hearing of any other incident where Shatner was described as displaying open unfriendliness or disrespect towards a fellow actor/actress while filming TOS.

Last edited by stcanada29; March 16 2014 at 10:37 PM.
stcanada29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 11:34 PM   #142
Warped9
Admiral

I'm looking forward to reading this.
Old March 17 2014, 06:59 AM   #143
bentpin
Ensign

I hate to butt in here, because I'm enjoying the conversation, but I have a question. Does this book have much in the way of how the bridge props were developed?
I'm researching how to recreate some of the graphics and controls.

I emailed the book publishers, and they said no, there wasn't any, but out of an abundance of inquisitiveness...

Shawn
bentpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 07:39 AM   #144
Maurice
Vice Admiral

bentpin wrote: View Post
I hate to butt in here, because I'm enjoying the conversation, but I have a question. Does this book have much in the way of how the bridge props were developed?

I emailed the book publishers, and they said no, there wasn't any, but out of an abundance of inquisitiveness...

Shawn
TOSgraphics.com explains how the panels were made.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old March 17 2014, 01:27 PM   #145
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
There's a corresponding memo from Justman (which you must have read, at least in part, in one of the biographies, probably Alexander's) which explains some of the "creative accounting" which he suspects Voyage was doing to keep their budget low. But, that will take time to type up. For now, this will do.
Harvey, you're awesome. Thanks! Yes, I did read the published portion of the memo in the Alexander book. I found that fascinating, since published accounts of the Irwin Allen shows are slender on actual behind the scenes facts (the exception being a really good, detailed book on The Time Tunnel - but I digress).
Old March 17 2014, 02:21 PM   #146
EnsignHarper
Commander

plynch wrote: View Post
Yes, CeateSpace is the self-publishing, print-on-demand arm of Amazon. Oddly, I do not believe another user - if using the mark legally, say in a bok about the product - must put the "r"; but the company who owns the trademark rights had to. That is the owner alerting the word tha the mark is registered.

If I wrote a book about oreos, or a cookbook, I believe I would not have to write r or tm every time I wrote "Oreos."

Moreover, iirc, that requirement on trademark holders was eased or eliminated recently. I believe I learned that on the very fine sports uniform blog, UniWatch. Again, smarter-than-I people, disabuse me of my errors if they be.
UniWatch!
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 02:26 PM   #147
EnsignHarper
Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
^^^That figure for Batman must represent 2 half hour episodes (as per the first 2 seasons), since it was filmed essentially as an hour episode and split to air in over 2 nights.
One has to suspect for Batman, that some of the 'Special Guest Villains' must have commanded higher than normal fees than the 'normal' guest performer.

Last edited by EnsignHarper; March 17 2014 at 03:51 PM.
EnsignHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 07:10 PM   #148
stcanada29
Lieutenant

bentpin wrote: View Post

Shawn
Gerald Gurian's website startrekpropauthority.com is actually a good resource for information on screen used props and costumes from across the entire range of Star Trek feature films and television series - but it is especially focused on TOS. Here's a link to an interesting article on Captain Kirk's Original Series chair:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...star-trek.html

and another on the TOS Helm / Navigation console:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...star-trek.html

Gurian has basically reprinted some lengthy auction catalog descriptions of these items from when they went on sale in the early 2000's; but the articles are informative I think and have some interesting photos of the internal design of these Bridge pieces. Also, Gurian posted the following articles on TOS control panels and displays on his site:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...s-control.html

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...eries-uss.html

The first article has some nice shots of the breakdown of a warp drive panel from Scotty's Bridge Engineering station, and the second article shows some nice close up shots of the different styles of screen used buttons used to create the various Bridge control panels. I believe those button's are part of Gerald Gurian's memorabilia collection. The multi-colored square and circular one's were molded from resin by the studio, and they also used real aircraft switches to decorate the panels.

Here's another article on the TOS Bridge Chairs:

http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...eries-uss.html

I'm sure if you browse through the site, you'll likely find other articles of interest as it's quite extensive.
stcanada29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 07:31 PM   #149
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Fascinating!
Old March 19 2014, 06:14 AM   #150
bentpin
Ensign

Hey!

Thanks SO much for the detailed responses! In fact, I have already availed myself of both the Gurian and the Smith sites. I have attempted to contact Mr. Gurion in hopes he has already done the measurements on the pieces in his collection. Just waiting on a response!

Thanks again, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled program!
bentpin is offline   Reply With Quote