Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Star Trek Timelines Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 6 2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Into Darkness
Captain

Direct To DVD

Would anyone here pay out for a direct to DVD Star Trek Series?

It would be set in the original timeline before the changes and would be set after the destruction of Romulus.

I feel that putting it on telly would be foolish as only the most serious Trek followers would be interested in such a thing.

So if they did a full season or two of a new series and put it direct to DVD for purchase, would you purchase it?
Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Into Darkness
Captain

Re: Direct To DVD

or how about a Star Trek pay per view website where they put up the entire seasons and you simply pay to stream them.
Old March 6 2014, 10:49 AM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I feel that putting it on telly would be foolish as only the most serious Trek followers would be interested in such a thing.
I actually feel that way about putting it on direct-to-DVD.

IMO, direct-to-video is usually reserved for inexpensive productions or movies a studio don't have enough faith in to release theatrically. I think if Trek takes that route, it's pretty much run dry and that the studio is trying to milk the last few drops out of it before it goes the way of now dormant franchises like Babylon 5 and Stargate. There may be a couple of movies and then that's it.

There may be more value (and longevity) in just letting Trek rest for awhile and then relaunching it on the big screen again than going the direct-to-video route.
Old March 6 2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Asking fans to fork out for a whole series they haven't seen on TV before hand is more than a little cheeky. A miniseries would be different though as it wouldn't cost as much.

If it selled well and had a lot of interest, they could use that as proof to get more a TV series made.
Old March 6 2014, 12:45 PM   #5
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I think STAR TREK shouldn't commit itself to an entire series, so that we can watch the creative juices evaporate more and more, season after season. A collection of various mini-series is the way to go, in my opinion. Get some variety going! Shake things up and keep it fresh. As for sending this directly to the cheap bin, first, expecting us to finance the show directly out of pocket ... Into Darkness ... I don't THINK so!!!
Old March 6 2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Into Darkness
Captain

How about a canon online comic strip?

But rather than being comic like, it's actual pictures/images of real actors and good graphics.

Sort of like a show or film but just in stills rather than something that plays.

You keep clicking a to the right button to get to the next scene and so on and so on.

There could even be sound effects each scene, maybe some audio dialogue.

I think it would work but also save money on production.
Old March 6 2014, 01:13 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Just no. I don't want Star Trek that doesn't have the resources to look like the best show on television. Star Trek is a premiere sci-fi property and direct-to-DVD is done on the cheap to wring every last dollar out of a property that is possible.
Old March 6 2014, 01:17 PM   #8
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Direct-to-DVD would be the way to go if Fan Films were allowed to make money. Otherwise, I don't see too much use for it in STAR TREK, to be honest.
Old March 6 2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Into Darkness
Captain

But rather than being comic like, it's actual pictures/images of real actors and good graphics.

Sort of like a show or film but just in stills rather than something that plays.

You keep clicking a to the right button to get to the next scene and so on and so on.

So I take it this idea is no good either?
Old March 6 2014, 09:28 PM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I don't have quotes, but people around here have said in the past that CBS view direct-to-DVD as cheap and wouldn't want one of their flagship properties associated with such. Particularly with such a visual medium as sci-fi, budget shows - take a look at Babylon 5: The Lost Tales.

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Direct-to-DVD would be the way to go if Fan Films were allowed to make money. Otherwise, I don't see too much use for it in STAR TREK, to be honest.
I think a fan film or two might be a nice DVD extra on Trekkies 3 or somesuch, but as stand-alone releases, they're simply not good enough.
Old March 6 2014, 09:30 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

So I take it this idea is no good either?
It sounds like an okay idea, but I wouldn't want it to be any more canon than other novels, comics and games.
Old March 6 2014, 10:39 PM   #12
OpenMaw
Commander

All of this just seems to over complicate things and show a distinct lack of faith in the audience more than anything. People will watch, if the show is good. It's not like we're going to have this show handed back to the team that left it in 2004. It's going to be all new. New FX people, new writers, new producers, new execs. Fresh eyes. Maybe a few of the old guard will pop up here and there, but I doubt that it'll resemble anything close to Berman era Trek.

You need creative people, a decent budget, and that's it. Trek will work just fine as a television show. It's what it was born to do. All it needs is to not try to be what it was ever again. It needs to be something new with it's heart set on the same kind of ideals that made the original and TNG so strong at it's best. As George Takei once said of the original it was "hip and with it."

Old March 6 2014, 10:54 PM   #13
2takesfrakes
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I think a fan film or two might be a nice DVD extra on Trekkies 3 or somesuch, but as stand-alone releases, they're simply not good enough.
Boy, you said it, King Daniel! I think that Fan Film DVDs would only work as a "bonus" if they had famous second bananas in it, like Tim Russ, or Walter Keonig.
Old March 6 2014, 11:44 PM   #14
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

A direct to DVD animated movie would be fine as long as it's made as well as Warner's DC animated movie line.
Old March 7 2014, 12:46 AM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Asking fans to fork out for a whole series they haven't seen on TV before hand is more than a little cheeky.
How about they release for free a few episodes on the internet, and then put the other fifteen or twenty episodes up for sale in a blu-ray collection?

All the free episodes would have added scenes in the blu-rays too.

Would you buy that? Assuming that the free stuff was any good.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote