To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 23 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Khan 2.0
Commander

Will ST3 be more like a big budget version of Movies I-VI?

one thing ive been thinking lately is as ST09 and STID are more 'TOS' 60s trek in regards to the whole design, look and feel (uniforms, equipment, nancells, sound FX, lighting, logo etc) then maybe the third one will be more movie 80s trek inspired in relation to all that stuff

Obviously there were a lot of references, nods etc to the movies in ST09 & STID but really they are big budget updatings of the 60s tv show - telling the origin that was never told (even though it was an alternate origin) and Space Seed rebooted (with a heavy does of Trek VI and Trek II). so perhaps ST3 might be like a big budget updating of the 80s original crew movies I-VI (or more specifically I/II/III/IV) telling the untold ‘Lost Years’ story post 5 year mission - the beginnings of the movie era (with 'Ongoing' filling in the 5 year mission years - so we'll see them at the time we never did in TOS - after the 5 year mission, just like the way we never saw the characters come together/begin the 5 year mission in TOS until ST2009 - at least in an alternate universe way) or even post TMP/pre TWOK. the crew will be decked out in more TWOK style uniforms (with Pine sporting a thick black 'fro LOL) with similar field jackets, the look of the bridge could be less bright/more TWOK, the Ent looking more sleek like TMP Ent, the sound FX/SFX of the warps/beaming/phasers could be more movie style, mushroom style spacedock with the massive blue lit interior housing all the ships (instead of the K7 style), movie characters like Decker (Stephen Collins playing Commodor Matt Decker?), Ilia, Capt Terrel, Kruge, Savvik, Sybok and movie ships like Excelsior, Reliant, more Horner-esque music etc...maybe even use the movie font instead of TOS font on the posters/opening credits

Maybe thats what the end of the various nods/homages to I-VI in the 2 films (esp the TMP style uniforms for Marcus, Pike etc) are suggesting/foreshadowing - that the movie version of star trek has been fast tracked
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 01:42 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Will ST3 be more like a big budget version of Movies I-VI?

I doubt it. The "look" of the AU has been pretty well established in the two movies thus far. I can't see them changing it so soon - unless the new director has a serious dislike of it.
Old September 23 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
starburst
Fleet Captain

Considering the next movie should be about the crew at last exploring the Final Frontier on their 5 year mission I doubt there will be any major changes to the set design, costumes or props.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Khan 2.0
Commander

starburst wrote: View Post
Considering the next movie should be about the crew at last exploring the Final Frontier on their 5 year mission I doubt there will be any major changes to the set design, costumes or props.

i think they will probably set it after the 5 year mission - due to TOS/Ongoing having already charted that period
Old September 23 2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Gojira
Commodore

I am happy that JJ Trek kept the uniforms from the original series. I do nothink that will change. I really do long for a story that happens with them exploring. I would like them to come into contact with a threatening alien like in TMP and Trek IV.
Old September 23 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post
I am happy that JJ Trek kept the uniforms from the original series. I do nothink that will change. I really do long for a story that happens with them exploring. I would like them to come into contact with a threatening alien like in TMP and Trek IV.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
i think they will probably set it after the 5 year mission - due to TOS/Ongoing having already charted that period
...which the next movie is free to ignore.
Old September 24 2013, 02:34 AM   #8
austen_pierce
Captain

I'm with starburst, they built up to the 5 year mission. Disposing of that with a nod would feel anticlimactic. Of course there's precedent for that.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:17 AM   #9
OpenMaw
Commander

They could always pull a Dark Knight Rises and set it many years later.
Old September 24 2013, 09:53 AM   #10
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Oh, the sets can change a lot. This incarnation of Kirk might be much more capable of wrecking the ship entirely.
Old September 24 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They would appear to have been random, pre-5YM adventures (which just happened to be places the old Enterprise visited on their 5YM), since the first picks up shortly after the end of '09 and CTD ends with them going to Nibiru.
Old January 17 2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Khan 2.0
Commander

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
They could always pull a Dark Knight Rises and set it many years later.
they'll have to do that if only to account for the cast aging
Old January 17 2014, 05:43 PM   #13
anh165
Commander

All this talk about uniforms and appearances reminds me ...

The Enterprise's bridge set was repainted and re-built into the Vengeance bridge. Could this be a new bridge for the Enterprise in ST3?
Old January 17 2014, 09:10 PM   #14
WarpFactorZ
Captain

anh165 wrote: View Post

The Enterprise's bridge set was repainted and re-built into the Vengeance bridge. Could this be a new bridge for the Enterprise in ST3?
No. We already saw the Enterprise bridge at the end of STiD. It was the same as the old one.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 03:19 AM   #15
ATimson
Rear Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post

That's not a good indication. The bridge set was rebuilt for Into Darkness rather than kept from the first movie; no reason they couldn't build v1.2 for the next movie.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote