Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 12 2014, 08:26 AM   #31
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Sfdebris lists his picks for worst Star Trek movies and Tv episode

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
CommishSLeer you would breed with LON SUDER before Paris?!

And I thought I had a Trek pet hate..
If it was Lon Suder I'd have to choose Artificial Insemination in case I looked at him funny.
But.. the GENES. The serial killing. The eyes!
Actually I don't even dislike Paris. The big question is though who would you pick between Riker and Paris?
I have nothing against Paris though he has no appeal, the question for me would be who would I pick between Suder and Riker.. and much as I loathe that smarmy arrogant git I would have to take Riker because I sure am not going to mix my genes with a serial killer. Bad bad bad.

Paris looks real hot in this conversation.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 06:50 PM   #32
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

For DS9's worst episode, I would pick "Meridian" over "Profit and Lace". At least Armin Shimerman and the other actors playing Ferengi give good performances; Terry Farrell didn't and I liked her acting for the most part elsewhere in the series.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 11:20 PM   #33
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

The worst DS9 episode in my opinion was the one where Worf and Dax go to Risa and Worf joins the Insufferable Killjoys.

"Up The Long Ladder" was a truly embarassing TNG outing.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 12:35 AM   #34
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I barely remember "A Night in Sickbay," which doesn't speak well of it, but which also means that it couldn't have been too jaw-droppingly bad. I find it hard to imagine that it was worse than, say, "The Alternative Factor," Star Trek V, or that dreadful Voyager ep where all the decks got re-arranged by yet another inexplicable space-time anomaly. (I'm convinced the writer of that episode must have gotten lost and disoriented at a Trek convention once and decided that would make good episode!)

I will actually defend the likes of "Threshold" and "Sub Rosa" or "Spock's Brain" on the grounds that they're entertainingly insane. Give me some sublime silliness over something dull and forgettable.
Old January 13 2014, 12:43 AM   #35
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I'm surprised (and disappointed) that Move Along Home didn't make the top (bottom) six. That episode is just terrible.

A Night in Sickbay didn't bother me that much. There were a lot worse episodes than that (IMHO).

Early TNG and Late TOS both had some real clunkers.

As for movies, the only two I can't stand to watch are TMP and Nemesis. TMP is stunningly boring and Nemesis is so bad it makes me angry...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 12:53 AM   #36
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

I actually liked Nemesis. It wasn't terrible. As enjoyable and silly as IV was, "Where are the nuclear wessels?" V was just terrible. "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"? Seriously? In that whole film, only a few scenes were memorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZC_v6BRWPM

Nemesis gave budding actor Tom Hardy a start. He and Linda Park were in a play together shortly thereafter and had a fling.

EDIT: Note that 50 minutes (!!!) of the film was cut, and that this was character dialogue which might have fully explained things. Sounds like the film might be a very different one if ever seen in its entirety.

Last edited by Robbiesan; January 13 2014 at 01:05 AM.
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 01:06 AM   #37
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

Any "Worst of" Star Trek list which does not include "The Alternative Factor" is a total joke. By far the worst Trek episode ever... and "Way to Eden" and "Shades of Gray" should be on that list as well.

Yancy
Old January 13 2014, 02:30 AM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
Any "Worst of" Star Trek list which does not include "The Alternative Factor" is a total joke. By far the worst Trek episode ever... and "Way to Eden" and "Shades of Gray" should be on that list as well.

Yancy
Hard to argue with this!
Old January 13 2014, 03:34 AM   #39
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

It seems that episodes with crazy sci fi themes are viewed as the worst.

But I liked Turnabout Intruder. I found it hilarious .
Pretty interesting too.

For TNG, Masks is pretty bad. I simply can't get through that episode.

Add the "Data is having weird dreams" and "the ship is alive" episodes too.

For DS9, The Emperor's New Cloak. It completely ruined the alternate universe concept.

Star trek Movies-- I can't put Nemesis as the worse, but it's close to it, along with Insurrection.

For some reason, I can never get through a single viewing of them, even though I start out watching them from the beginning.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 03:53 PM   #40
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I wouldn't put ST V on such a list because of all the Trek films it looks to me like ST V still is the only one with a philosophical message in the best tradition of Star Trek:

KIRK: You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand. They're things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. ...If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.

(however it sucks that the only one showing this kind of "awareness" is the great James Tiberius Kirk aka Bill Shatner )

But what about "These Are the Voyages"? IIRC it's a crossover episode that managed to equally disappoint ENT and TNG fans.

RIKER: I think I'm ready to talk to Captain Picard. I should have done it a long time ago. (..."but I'm under orders from Admiral Pressmann not to discuss the issue with the captain." )

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 04:54 PM   #41
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
... or that dreadful Voyager ep where all the decks got re-arranged by yet another inexplicable space-time anomaly. (I'm convinced the writer of that episode must have gotten lost and disoriented at a Trek convention once and decided that would make good episode!)
That's one of my favourite episodes of VOY.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:42 PM   #42
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I too think the Voyager episode with the re-arranging ship and "Captain Janeway arms" scene (when she reaches into the distorting Jefferies tube - it became a term for reaching out and flailing in my family) to be a highlight of the first season.
Old January 14 2014, 02:24 AM   #43
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

... or that dreadful Voyager ep where all the decks got re-arranged by yet another inexplicable space-time anomaly. (I'm convinced the writer of that episode must have gotten lost and disoriented at a Trek convention once and decided that would make good episode!)
Twisted was a very cool episode.

And it wasn't an inexplicable space-time anomaly, it was an intelligence trying to communicate.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 03:05 AM   #44
The Wormhole
Admiral

Can't say I agree with much from Sfdebris's list. I enjoy Trek V. Code of Honour is embarrassingly bad, but there are worse. I enjoy Nemesis. Profit and Lace is simply unmemorable. Not particularly good, but not particularly bad either. Threshold is probably in my top 10 favourite Voyager episodes. A Night in Sickbay is a very stupid episode, but watching it the hour goes by pretty quickly and it certainly is not the worse episode of Trek overall.

The worse episode over all? I'm going to say Plato's Stepchildren. You know something's wrong with the episode when Shatner pretending to be a horse is the highlight of the episode and the only real reason to watch it.
Old January 14 2014, 03:13 AM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Twisted was a very cool episode.

And it wasn't an inexplicable space-time anomaly, it was an intelligence trying to communicate.
I stand corrected. But I still remember that ep being fairly tedious and lacking in drama--and fizzling out at the end.

"This is it! We're all going to die . . . oh, never mind. It was just a harmless intelligence trying to communicate. At ease, everybody. We're cool."

And wandering from deck to deck, trying to figure out where everything is now, is not exactly gripping television. I can get the same experience at the King of Prussia Mall.