RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 483
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 13 2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
The Newsroom Renewed and Cancelled

Link

The HBO drama will end after three seasons. Really quite a shame as this is one of my favorite shows on television. Yes it's kind of ridiculous, but so what? New episodes begin in the fall.
Old January 13 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: The Newsroom Renewed and Cancelled

It's one of my favourite shows, too. Well, I hope it'll end on a high note with an outstanding season, at least.
Old January 13 2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Gaith
Rear Admiral

If this means more history-based Sorkin movie scripts, a la Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network, and Moneyball, then hooray, I say! I still want to see his promised John Edwards movie, and am looking forward to his Jobs also.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Ah crap.. i've had such an awesome day and now these news.

Sad to see it go but that's life. At least we'll get another season to wrap things up.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:50 AM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

Ah well, better to go out on a high I suppose. At least 3 seasons is better than Studio 60 managed. But I could never get into that one.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:58 AM   #6
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

New Sorkin, more Sorkin, new Sorkin, more Sorkin more!

Golly.

HBO is hanging it's hopes on True detective?

Acting great, but the story seems dull and been there.

I saw two nude women stabbed on Deer antlers last year on Hannibal, which makes me wonder why should I Marvel at a third?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 01:24 AM   #7
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Ah well, better to go out on a high I suppose. At least 3 seasons is better than Studio 60 managed. But I could never get into that one.
not by much. Studio 60 had 22 episodes in its single season run. Newsroom is likely to clock 28-29 depending on if we get a 9-10 episode final run
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 02:54 AM   #8
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Everyone seems shocked and outraged at HBO. However HBO for several months seemed to want more seasons and Sorkin is like "If I had time". So they agreed for one more season. No point in doing the show without Sorkin.
Old January 14 2014, 02:56 AM   #9
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Honestly, I thought Season 2 was a dog. Nowhere near as interesting and engaging as the first season. It spent way too much time or secondary stuff, the Genoa storyline, not enough Will and nowhere near enough "Monday-Morning Quarterbacking" of the 2012 election. I mean that election season was full of material and they spent their season on this Genoa storyline which I didn't find interesting at all. Hell, they barely touched on the OWS stuff or any of the other things that went on in the past year.
Old January 14 2014, 03:09 AM   #10
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Remember what they did with Patrick Troughton when he wanted to quit Doctor Who? He said that he would do one more story and then he was gone... The Wargames, his final adventure lasted 10 weeks.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Pity, but I can't say I'm surprised. I love the show and I will miss it. Can't wait for his next production, film or series.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 05:42 PM   #12
John Clark
Commodore

Shame

Oh well, we'll see how this season goes. I hope for an outstanding one and a good ending.
Old January 14 2014, 05:47 PM   #13
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Can't say I'm too disappointed. Despite moments of greatness, it never really came together in the way I wanted it to, with far too much reliance on the romantic antics of the cast. And I never felt the gimmick of having the show report news from the recent past worked, for an ostensibly positive show about a few idealists trying to inform the public and help improve the state of public discourse, anchoring it to real world events made the whole endeavour oddly futile.

But it sucks for those that enjoy the show, and I know many here do. At least it is getting a proper final season with Sorkin at the helm, which is more than can be said about any of his previous shows.
Old January 14 2014, 05:55 PM   #14
Harvey
Admiral

Season one was a mixed bag, but I thought season two was a marked improvement in all areas. Oh well. I'll watch season three, and Sorkin will probably go on to bigger and better things.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Count Zero
Decidedly something

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
And I never felt the gimmick of having the show report news from the recent past worked, for an ostensibly positive show about a few idealists trying to inform the public and help improve the state of public discourse, anchoring it to real world events made the whole endeavour oddly futile.
That's kind of the point, though, isn't it? It's a show about people who set forth idealistically to improve public discourse and the state of commercial news who ultimately fail. The whole Don Quijote theme suggests they're quite aware of the futility of their endeavour.
It's possible that this was entirely unintentional but this tragic element of the show always appealed to me. It resonates with me on a personal level, as well, because it mirrors the futility I see in my own and my party's political involvement.