Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 14 2014, 06:03 AM   #76
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Why Wasn't Neelix considered a candidate for removal after season

Robbiesan wrote: View Post

All in all, it was a puzzling episode in Star Trek history, and I doubt we ever know what really happened. My guess is that there were some personal issues but I don't have evidence of that. Obviously it had a major effect on a young actress' life and later on her health, and was rotten all around.
If that's what happened to her after loosing just one role on TV, it's a good thing she wasn't let go from a bigger more popular production. She might have replaced Lindsey Lohan in the tabloids.

However the truth is, Ethan Philips has been around longer and has more in road connects behinds the scenes in the industry. He's also a playwright and author with connections to other writers and actors.
So he was far more important to keep around than Lien, who had nearly no extensive resume, skills or connections.
Old January 14 2014, 07:22 AM   #77
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

exodus wrote: View Post
If that's what happened to her after loosing just one role on TV, it's a good thing she wasn't let go from a bigger more popular production. She might have replaced Lindsey Lohan in the tabloids.

However the truth is, Ethan Philips has been around longer and has more in road connects behinds the scenes in the industry. He's also a playwright and author with connections to other writers and actors.
So he was far more important to keep around than Lien, who had nearly no extensive resume, skills or connections.
That was harsh. Ms Lien did have health problems after being cut from the show. That's a matter of record. She ended up doing voice work as a result of that.

It's a cruel business, and acting in a science fiction production can be limiting and make an actor type-cast. Several Star Trek actors ended up becoming directors, a process facilitated by other Star Trek shows in the pipeline.

For whatever reason, one actor was let go, and one let in, which is very odd. It's as if they felt that someone wasn't adding chemistry to the show. That can't be Lien. As I recall she had plenty of fans when the announcement was made. Her character was certainly interesting and somewhat doomed based upon her species abbreviated lifespan.

Probably many were distracted by Jeri Ryan who did make the show excellent. I'm not sure that Lien leaving had anything to do with that.

What specifically did Neelix add? It's not that he couldn't have added a dynamic, he just didn't add one.
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 07:40 AM   #78
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Robbie, Exodus has had this conversation, without exaggeration, at least 400 times.

He's run out of nice things to say.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 07:11 PM   #79
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I want to say firstly, I would have preferred if no one got fired from the show.

However, (and it's just my own opinion here and I'm not telling anyone how to think), but it's just my own personal opinion that Ethan Phillips was the better actor of the two (Lien / Phillips). I am not saying the Neelix character was better or worse than Kes. But just going by acting ability, I prefer Phillips over Lien.

Granted, Neelix's character wasn't the greatest. But don't forget Ethan Phillips has played several characters on other Trek series (TNG/ENT) as a guest star and is pretty versatile and seems to enjoy the Star Trek universe and its fanbase (he's appeared in ST:OGAM and will be in Renegades. Not the best stuff, but it shows he appreciates the franchise and the genre). I think he could have done more with Neelix if given the opportunity. As for Jennifer Lien, I just don't regard her acting ability in the same way. So, for me, I can understand letting Lien go and not Ethan Phillips just on that basis alone. If they needed Phillips to take Neelix further, he probably could have.

I just think Ethan Phillips is a more versatile actor. He still acts to this day. If you look at Lien's filmography it pretty much stops in 2003 (if that is because of health reasons, then it is a moot point and I apologize).

That said, I still don't think anyone should have been fired. I understand the reason why it was done, but I wish it wasn't so. I don't think letting Lien go made the show better. I do think that adding Jeri Ryan/Seven of Nine DID make the show better. But, ignoring the show's money issues, they did not need to eliminate someone to have the same effect.
Old January 15 2014, 12:54 AM   #80
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
That was harsh. Ms Lien did have health problems after being cut from the show. That's a matter of record. She ended up doing voice work as a result of that.
It's annoying when fans try and paint her as this weak person that would fall apart at the loss of one single job. Jen Lien was still acting up until 2000, 3 or 4 years after she left Voyager. She was doing voice over work during her 3rd year on Voyager and in her own words she left acting because she simply wanted a new career.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Robbie, Exodus has had this conversation, without exaggeration, at least 400 times.

He's run out of nice things to say.
Pretty much.
Old January 15 2014, 06:04 AM   #81
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Was there a single good Neelix episode?
Prophecy: Neelix cock-blocks Harry, gets Klingon tail, and destroys Tuvok's quarters. It never would have happened if Kes had remained or Harry had left.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 03:11 AM   #82
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
Was there a single good Neelix episode?
Prophecy: Neelix cock-blocks Harry, gets Klingon tail, and destroys Tuvok's quarters. It never would have happened if Kes had remained or Harry had left.
Old January 16 2014, 05:21 AM   #83
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

So they have to get rid of someone to make room for Seven of Nine. So instead of choosing the insufferably annoying and obnoxious character who fans hated with a fiery passion, they choose the likeable, compassionate, and competent one. Voyager, you fail.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 08:05 AM   #84
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Fans hated him with a passion?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 08:40 AM   #85
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

if Kes was there, Neelix would have asked her to pretend that they were still together so that the Klingon girl would try to kill Kes to win Neelix.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 04:28 AM   #86
exodus
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Fans hated him with a passion?
Fiery passion, no less.
Old January 17 2014, 06:45 AM   #87
teacake
Admiral

Fuck fire, seriously.

I'm in a major heatwave here, give me icy passion GIVE IT TO ME NOW

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 17 2014, 06:51 AM   #88
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

I didn't hate his character. It was odd and peculiar though. "We need this guy as a guide...plus his wife is hot."

"I agree...let's put this important source of intel as....the chef!"

Seriously? It was like Guynan 2.

"We need this woman as she knows important information about some unknown alien species...plus temporal anomalies."

"I know. How about bartender???"
Old January 17 2014, 06:55 AM   #89
teacake
Admiral

His wife is not even remotely hot.

But yes, good comparison of misuse there with Guinan. Though I always assumed that's the role Guinan wanted? Behind the scenes but finger on the pulse.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 17 2014, 07:59 AM   #90
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

Come on! Jennifer Lien during those years was quite lovely.

Star Trek: when we don't know what to do with you, we put you in the kitchen or the bar.