Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 9 2014, 03:54 AM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Doctor Who set/on location reports thread

^It's just that you can see the bottom of the mask, the part that's supposed to be covered by his clothes. Dan Starkey is significantly slimmer than Strax.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 03:56 AM   #32
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Starkers wrote: View Post
But as we saw it wasn't a silly pirate outfit, it was kinda bland...
Only because Matt vetoed the idea. Heres hoping Capaldi has the same good sense.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 04:29 AM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Looks like it'd be fun watching them shoot an episode trying to steal a peek.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 04:44 AM   #34
The Wormhole
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
One looked too Sherlock Holmes
I liked the Sherlock-esque costume a lot. Not as much as the jacket and bow-tie, true, but it was a look that I thought really worked for Matt
I liked the Sherlock-style costume, though I don't think it matched the Eleventh Doctor quite the way his actual costumes did.
Old January 9 2014, 04:46 AM   #35
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Is anyone else getting a "Third Doctor and Sarah" vibe off that shot of Capaldi and Coleman? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. But I think they look good together. I like the juxtaposition of the older man and younger woman, which evokes the early Doctors. We've had enough pseudo-romantic Doctor-companion pairings this decade; I'd like to see more of a father-daughter or mentor-pupil type of relationship for a change.
Coleman's hairstyle is similar to some that Elisabeth Sladen had. Also, her jaw and cheeks with that style of hair and color do invoke a feeling of Sarah Jane.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 05:48 AM   #36
Christopher
Writer

Usually Clara reminds me more of Zoe or Victoria, though.

Although the person Jenna Coleman resembles to an almost uncanny degree is Dawn Wells of Gilligan's Island. If they ever make a feature film reboot of that, she should definitely play Mary Ann.

Old January 9 2014, 09:44 AM   #37
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

Here's those two pix together

Old January 9 2014, 12:50 PM   #38
intrinsical
Commodore

Yup, I always thought Capaldi's Doctor would have more than a bit of the 3rd Doctor inside. I wonder, would he be practicing some form of martial arts?
Old January 9 2014, 04:03 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

Well, I don't want him to be a copy of any former Doctor. I just think it would be nice to see more of that classic older Doctor-younger companion dynamic, albeit in whatever fresh form Capaldi brings to it.

Old January 9 2014, 04:54 PM   #40
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
But as we saw it wasn't a silly pirate outfit, it was kinda bland...
Only because Matt vetoed the idea. Heres hoping Capaldi has the same good sense.
Moffat has given Capaldi pretty much free reign when it comes to his costume after Matt wanted the bowtie and Moffat wasn't sure about it...
The bowtie was a hit, ergo Capaldi can create/assemble his own costume...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 04:28 AM   #41
The Wormhole
Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Yup, I always thought Capaldi's Doctor would have more than a bit of the 3rd Doctor inside. I wonder, would he be practicing some form of martial arts?
Hai! We are long overdue for another Doctor into martial arts.
Old January 10 2014, 05:24 PM   #42
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

The Doctor may literally have passed over a thousand years since he's karate-chopped anyone. He definitely should break out the Venusian Aikido. Or at least some really mean tai-chi.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 05:37 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

The latest word from Moffat about what Capaldi's Doctor will be like:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2014/...dder-less.html
"Now we're going to give her a Doctor who's not like that at all [The Eleventh Doctor], who's a much older, fiercer, madder, less reliable Doctor, who leads her a merry dance. And she's trying to keep him a secret and she's now working in a school..."

On The Twelfth Doctor's character, Moffat comments that he will be more akin to Tom Baker and Christophe Eccleston, being "mad and dangerous and difficult" and not a "quirky young man" like Matt Smith and David Tennant.
Sounds more like Colin Baker than Tom, from that description.

Old January 10 2014, 06:12 PM   #44
davejames
Vice Admiral

Sounds promising, but what I really want to know is if they'll be changing the tone of the rest of the show at all. Or is Moffat just going to keep the storytelling as hyper and fast-paced as before, with the same nonstop witty banter and bouncing around through time as we've seen with Matt Smith?

Because if so, I'm not sure having an older or slightly more serious Doctor is going to make much of a difference...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 06:51 PM   #45
Romulan_spy
Commodore

[QUOTE=Christopher;9107422]
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2014/...dder-less.html
"Now we're going to give her a Doctor who's not like that at all [The Eleventh Doctor], who's a much older, fiercer, madder, less reliable Doctor, who leads her a merry dance. And she's trying to keep him a secret and she's now working in a school..."

On The Twelfth Doctor's character, Moffat comments that he will be more akin to Tom Baker and Christophe Eccleston, being "mad and dangerous and difficult" and not a "quirky young man" like Matt Smith and David Tennant.
Capaldi's Doctor sounds like someone that the Daleks should really fear!!
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote