Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 10 2014, 01:31 AM   #376
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Doctor Who set/on location reports thread

Sindatur wrote: View Post
British Shows get it all in the can before even nailing down a Schedule. US SHows, often only have as many as 7 or 8 episodes ready to go when they begin airing, and have a Hiatus after airing half of the Season (for shows with more than 13 Episodes a year) from as early as Thanksgiving through to sometimes as late as February or March
The continuous filming was the first that came to my mind. American shows write as they film. Seven weeks is generous. I think five is more accurate. Since British shows are all done, they shorten time until the product is done by filming two at once. Also, American shows may not even have the luxury of doing that since they may not have the next script ready.
Old June 10 2014, 02:57 AM   #377
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I'm impressed that you could glean any sense of expression from Barbara Bain.
It was only in early season 1 that she seemed lacking in expression (and I was wondering if that might be due to a face lift or something). She was pretty expressive in season 2. Although I saw an interview feature with her recorded at the time, and she was a lot more engaging and natural out of character than she was as Dr. Russell. I did find myself wishing she'd put more of that into her performance.

What particularly struck me about both Landau and Bain in the show was that their approach to intensity was basically just yelling. John Koenig was one heck of a blowhard, constantly screaming at people. It wasn't appealing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 06:07 AM   #378
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I think LOST, is probably where the hiatus became common/mainstream. .
I believe the initial Lost hiatus was forced by a writer's strike, IIRC...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 01:14 AM   #379
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Interesting. I just took hiatuses for granted because it takes better advantage of sweeps. But I looked back at the original series and saw that the season ended in April. The TNG did have breaks, but it seemed less strategic (season 3 ended in mid-June). It was a syndicated show, so I'm not sure what impact that had. I had no idea that the modern television strategy that seems designed to hit two sweeps at critical moments is a relatively recent invention. Funny that it's essentially going away anyway (although AoS and ABC has the best idea on how to preserve it).
Old June 11 2014, 02:01 AM   #380
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Even a show as popular as Lost was lost viewers that never came back after the hiatus... and the recent trend of ordering a few episodes of a new sf series and then having a long break after it gets picked up for more was a major factor in doing in shows like Jericho, V, and Flash Forward. Not that those shows didn't have flaws, but a significant portion of the casual audience loses interest and doesn't come back. I assume the networks like the idea because it limits their upfront exposure if the series doesn't work out, but it can be hard on the fans who do want to watch them and it makes it more likely that they'll fail to hit the rating survival line. My response has been to say "well fine, frak you" and not watch any show until it gets a 2nd season, which is why I'm about to start watching Orphan Black now lol.

Fortunately Who is popular enough to make it through the breaks when they have done them, but a few decades of inertia will help that.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 05:09 AM   #381
chelly
Lieutenant Commander

The constant flow of reruns I think helps Doctor Who.

I think some of the problems with some shows not lasting past the hiatus is that: People don't realize the show returned (figured it was canceled) or forgot about it.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 05:18 AM   #382
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Interesting. I just took hiatuses for granted because it takes better advantage of sweeps. But I looked back at the original series and saw that the season ended in April. The TNG did have breaks, but it seemed less strategic (season 3 ended in mid-June). It was a syndicated show, so I'm not sure what impact that had. I had no idea that the modern television strategy that seems designed to hit two sweeps at critical moments is a relatively recent invention. Funny that it's essentially going away anyway (although AoS and ABC has the best idea on how to preserve it).
I think it evolves as each network tries to outdo the others, "if we come back from a hiatus a week earlier, we'll hook the viewers".
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 03:55 AM   #383
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's smaller on the outside!

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 02:12 PM   #384
Doctorwhovian
Commander

Similar thing happened in Logopolis, although with the Doctor inside.

Maybe he tried fixing the chameleon circuit again
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 03:55 AM   #385
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

latest rumour is that capaldi will only be doing 1 season and then regenerate again and then with the new doctor the show will take a compete different direction.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 05:56 AM   #386
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ source? I find that highly doubtful.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 06:51 AM   #387
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

BBC budget cuts have been taking their toll.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 08:55 AM   #388
Starkers
Admiral

Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
latest rumour is that capaldi will only be doing 1 season and then regenerate again and then with the new doctor the show will take a compete different direction.
That was flying around a few months ago, seemed to soley rest on an article in the Daily Mirror if I recall, but it didn't seem to get much traction elsewhere.

I'm not sure of the logic of it really, replacing Smith with a 'classic' older man Doctor for one year before regenerating Capaldi into a woman or something seems odd, I don't see why you wouldn't go stright from Smith to whoever, unless Capaldi's season is designed to litter clues/reasons why his next regeneration will be very different.

Also it risks alienating fans, I mean if everyone loves Capaldi they'll be pissed off at him going, and perhaps even more pissed off that he was only ever envisaged as a place holder. At least with Eccleston RTD/Chris didn't go into it fully aware there'd only be one series?

I hope it's BS to be honest.

Here's the article btw It's from February so definitely not a new rumour.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 10:28 AM   #389
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Seriously doubt Capaldi will only go for one season. Not when he's went after the role for so many years.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 03:48 PM   #390
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Miniature TARDIS? Could this be a hint of the Master returning? After all he did used to have a shrink weapon, maybe he shrunk the TARDIS.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote