Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 10 2014, 12:28 AM   #16
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

Re: terran empire

Just a parallel universe, as has been stated.

So the LUCA was an "evil" bacteria. THe first land animal was an "evil" amphibian. The "evil" dinosaurs got killed by an asteroid, then millions of years later "evil" apes evolved, with one "evil" species walking up right, developing stone tools, harnessing fire, developing complex language and becoming behaviourally modern. lol..
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 10:35 PM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

One other theory: The mirror universe is our universe.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 05:37 PM   #18
MNM
Captain

I've always preferred the idea that there is no point where things changed. That up until Kirk's transporter accident, the "Mirror universe" didnt exist, and once the accident happened, the whole thing was created, but created to be a "mirror" image of the main universe.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 05:52 PM   #19
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

MNM wrote: View Post
I've always preferred the idea that there is no point where things changed. That up until Kirk's transporter accident, the "Mirror universe" didnt exist, and once the accident happened, the whole thing was created, but created to be a "mirror" image of the main universe.
That's an awful lot of power to attribute to the Enterprise's transporters and an ion storm!

But, I guess I could still see how it could work, if it wasn't contradicted by Enterprise's "In a Mirror, Darkly".
Old January 12 2014, 09:15 PM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral

Except that in Mirror, Mirror the MU had some history developed for it that wouldn't make sense if it had been "just created." Kirk's service record had a list of his successful campaigns and that he assumed command of the Enterprise upon assassinating Pike and so on.
Old January 12 2014, 09:25 PM   #21
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Except that in Mirror, Mirror the MU had some history developed for it that wouldn't make sense if it had been "just created." Kirk's service record had a list of his successful campaigns and that he assumed command of the Enterprise upon assassinating Pike and so on.
Your thinking is too linear - what if it was created forward and backward in time from that point? Or, to get semi-religious, what if TPTB created it at the same time as the regular universe, but in response to the transporter event that had not occurred yet?

I'm not saying I BUY it, either. Just that I could see it, and Trek has, at times, certainly sold us worse explanations for things, no?
Old January 12 2014, 09:28 PM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Your thinking is too linear - what if it was created forward and backward in time from that point? Or, to get semi-religious, what if TPTB created it at the same time as the regular universe, but in response to the transporter event that had not occurred yet?
Well, like you say above, that is an awful lot of power to attribute to the transporter and an ion storm.
Old January 12 2014, 10:36 PM   #23
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ But the assumption that the MU and RU are somehow 'created', does not treat them as alternate universes, but alternate timelines. If they are indeed alternate universes, as they seem to be, then they can't have been "created" by a single transporter malfunction, as that is obviously impossible.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 11:25 PM   #24
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

The problem or cause that makes people jump to the alternate timeline explanation is that we always see our main characters in action in the MU stories. Logically, this just isn't possible.

Consider just TOS. Kirk assassinated Pike and assumed command. With this assassination, The Menagerie episode could not happen or would be radically different. If Mirror Kirk (and company) had never transferred places with our universe counterparts, the Halkan expedition would have ended differently - Kirk would have killed the Halkans, gotten dilithium and moved on. The point being is the similarities between our universes won't continue indefinitely. At some point the universes will be wildly different and, realistically, there won't be counterparts in either universe.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 11:37 PM   #25
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

According to some physicists, a subatomic particle taking a different route is enough to create an alternate universe.
Old January 14 2014, 03:40 AM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

There's really nothing to indicate that Kirk's transporter accident created the alternate universe. And personally I find that explanation to ruin the MU, and therefore with the lack of evidence as a fan I must reject it.

I still say maybe the MU is the universe we all are living in. For all we know, in the prime universe Kim Jung Ill was a beloved humanitarian reformer, the NFA is a program dedicated to protect the privacy of the American people, and Wolf Of Wall Street was about a stock broker who resisted the temptations of drugs and prostitutes and challenged the system to start a firm where he built client trust by only recommending the stocks he thought would make them money, regardless of his own personal incentives.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 10:20 AM   #27
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

My personal theory is that the Roman Empire had continued in different way in the MU and eventually grown into the Terran Empire.

Since this is the Mirror Unvirse and everything is exactly the opposite, it was the Eastern Roman Empire which collapsed early on and the Western Roman Empire survived in some form till the end of the Middle Ages... possibly centered on France and/or Britain. Maybe one of these entities proved to be a bit more long-living in the MU:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallic_Empire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannic_Empire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Soissons

Another possible POD is that Christianity never got much of a traction in the MU and was successfully supressed by the Romans. Remember that the rise of Christianity contributed to getting gladiator games banned in Rome in OTL. A Roman Empire which retained its traditional religion possibly would have continued to be a bit more... barbaric. Which eventuelly led to the Western Roman Empire surviving in this universe.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; January 14 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:12 PM   #28
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
Another possible POD is that Christianity never got much of a traction in the MU and was successfully supressed by the Romans.
Or perhaps the MU God (whether as an actual being or the way He is written there in their scriptures) is a harsher being, and when Jesus came it was to teach different lessons than were taught in our universe.
Old January 15 2014, 01:26 AM   #29
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

So if everybody who exists in the normal universe is good is evil in the Mirror U, this has to be reversed. Was looking forward to seeing a good Dukat, or benevolent Founders lol..

But perhaps WWII in that universe was fought between a good Hitler and the evil Terran Empire, since good Hitler invaded Poland to give his people breathing room from the evil Terrans.
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 01:44 AM   #30
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

desfem79 wrote: View Post
But perhaps WWII in that universe was fought between a good Hitler and the evil Terran Empire, since good Hitler invaded Poland to give his people breathing room from the evil Terrans.
I'm thinking, sure, a good Hitler, who unfortunately also made it into the Vienna School of Art and Architecture. I say "unfortunately" because without him to make some of the poor choices he made (invaded Russia, crippled the Luftwaffe because of his personal dislike of flying), the competent leadership of someone like Göring might have won the war - especially if voices like Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh, Prescott Bush, and the royal Windsors shaped American and British policy regarding the Nazis like I suspect they would have in the MU.