Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 16 2014, 09:30 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness Oscar Nomination

The Oscar nominations list is up and Star Trek into Darkness has one nomination. This year’s Academy Awards will air live on ABC March 2, at 7 p.m. The Oscar nomination is in the Visual Effects category, with the team named consisting of: Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossman, and Burt Dalton. Star Trek into […]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Smellmet
Commander

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Oscar Nomination

Not a chance of winning IMO, Gravity should secure the award with ease. While the visuals in STID were, in the main, excellent, they were also quite derivative and slightly cheesy in places (warp space dust I'm looking at you), nothing groundbreaking that we haven't seen in plenty of recent blockbusters.

In short, they did the job - very well, but I can't see the award going to any other film than Gravity.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:17 PM   #3
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't vote for that miserable remake if you paid me to.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:38 PM   #4
The Keeper
Commodore

WOOHOO! Good luck, Star Trek!

How is warp space dust cheesy? Just because it isn't canon, has never been seen before?

Little known hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge. It's crazy good!
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Smellmet
Commander

I just thought it looked crap and was totally unnecessary to the warp effect. I mean, what was that stuff? It was just for the 3D effect and nothing else
Old January 16 2014, 11:14 PM   #6
The Keeper
Commodore

Ok, fair enough. I loved that 3D effect, would not have been the same without the dust.

I simply saw it as a bone thrown to Trek technophiles, something to wonder and talk about. If you hadn't noticed, we tend to do a lot of that.

King Daniel Into darkness posted something yesterday which reminded me of the space dust *HERE*

Those slots, panes and dohickeys have to be for something so why not for dumping some sort of byproduct the nacelle creates, perhaps as it sits idle. Perhaps it is incinerated waste material generated by the crew (sh!t, actually ;-)) I don't know, use your imagination!

Old January 16 2014, 11:34 PM   #7
J. Allen
Right Hand Man

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I loved the effect, too.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 11:55 PM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

While I admit there was nothing we hadn't seen similar before VFX wise, I thought the futuristic cityscapes in particular looked freaking amazing.

As for the warp thing, the new Enterprise is so cool it now leaves trails of ice in it's wake.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think the attack on Starfleet HQ was quite a big deal FX-wise, in how they were able to sync up the lighting between the stuff on-set (which included a moving jumpship rig equipped with spotlights) and the CG Jumpship/SFHQ building.
Old January 17 2014, 01:06 AM   #9
The Keeper
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
While I admit there was nothing we hadn't seen similar before VFX wise, I thought the futuristic cityscapes in particular looked freaking amazing.
There were things we'd never seen before but they were things you'd likely only ever see in Star Trek. Like the Vengeance knocking the Enterprise out of the warp field. Hugh Starship crashing to Earth wiping out a mile of city blocks. (Which btw Smellmet, Gravity doesn't hold a candle to that one, imo.)

As for the warp thing, the new Enterprise is so cool it now leaves trails of ice in it's wake.
EM) Ooh, that is a good one! *steals for personal use*

Old January 17 2014, 01:28 AM   #10
Franklin
Rear Admiral

The warp effect in STID was fine, but I did like the warp effect in ST09 better. I thought the attention to detail in the FX throughout the movie was excellent even if it wasn't ground-breaking.

In my opinion at least, Gravity was OK, but it is tremendously over-rated and over-nominated. As far as FX being derivative go, how ground-breaking was Gravity compared to 2001 and Apollo 13? As far as being scientifically accurate goes, for a movie based more in reality than STID was, it played just as fast-and-loose with physics and real science, especially compared to 2001 or Apollo 13.
Old January 17 2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Smellmet
Commander

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater - in fact I love STID, it's got it's problems, sure but it's a ballsy blockbuster with a lot of heart - my point is that there's nothing really groundbreaking about the effects (nor was I expecting there to be) and we're talking about winning an Oscar here aren't we?

I'm not slating the effects in STID - for the record I think they are excellent, very slick and polished (I just thought the pixie dust was not needed and much preferred the effect in ST09), but regardless if 'Gravity' plays a bit fast and loose with reality I think the effects are better, full stop, but they are totally different movies to be fair.

There'e nothing in STID that isn't done to similar effect (and for a lot longer) in Man of Steel for example, with buildings getting destroyed etc.

When I saw Gravity on the big screen in 3D it was like being on a ride - it blew me away (and by GF who hates those kind of films)
Old January 17 2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Khan 2.0
Commander

i thought the warp space dust was a sort of homage to the lingering rainbow effect from TWOK
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

I'm with Smellmet. The visuals were great, but the wrap effect was added for the 3D element that seems pretty obvious.

But Gravity has it sewn up pretty easily.

The real outrage should be about LONE RANGER getting not one, but two Oscar nominations, Trek should have gotten at least one more technical award nod, and how about Pacific Rim not getting a VFX nod instead of The Lone freaking Ranger?
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Smellmet
Commander

I watched Pcafic Rim for the first time on Blu ray the other day and the effects are absolutely amazing - surprised it didnt cost more than STID
Old January 23 2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Getting nominated for visual effects isn't really something great, and I seriously doubt that it could beat Gravity for the Oscar. Gravity has the best visual effects of any movie I have seen this year.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote