Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 6 2014, 04:58 PM   #31
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 deserved a movie

I can just see the pitch meeting:

"It's this Star Trek movie, see?"
"Great. Where does the Enterprise go this time?"
"No, there's no Enterprise."
"Oh, so it's like Kirk and Spock on some kind of other ship?"
"No, not them."
"So Picard and Data, then. What trouble are they getting into?"
"No, it's not any of that."
"You did say Star Trek, right?"
"Yes! The one with the space station."
"Oh I remember that one. They blew up the first four stations and now this is Deep Space 5. We could get a hot Russian chick to play the first officer. But wait, isn't that series a little dated now?"
"WRONG STATION."
"Gee, lighten up. Is it the one with the hot blonde robot?"
"That depends, are you talking Voyager or Battlestar?"
"Who gives a sh*t?"
"I give up. It's about the Enterprise."
"Ok, but if you even mention the name Bakula I'm calling security."
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 05:12 PM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
.Audiences would get to see Kira in action and understand what a real, strong woman in a Trek film is all about, not some whingy, manipulative cold fish.
You mean god-fearing Kira "Wahhh! Occupation! Wahhh!" Nerys?
Old January 6 2014, 05:33 PM   #33
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Let's see...for 20+ years the majority of her planet's population was enslaved while the planet itself was raped of resources...and in many cases the people were raped as well.

I think she has a right to be bitter.

And I certainly doubt most humans would come out the other side any better than she did. Look at how we react to singular terrorist attacks, for instance.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 05:34 PM   #34
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Totally agree that a DS9 movie would have been great to see, shame it never happened. However that's to solid writing, acting, and the foresight of the PTB everything was tied up at the end (though the mystery of what happened to Sisko there to whet the appetite).

They could always do a movie now, set years after WYLB looking at what the crew are up to. Then The Sisko returns to battle against a major threat to the Alpha Quadrant. Audiences would get to see Kira in action and understand what a real, strong woman in a Trek film is all about, not some whingy, manipulative cold fish.
I don't actually care what happened to Sisko enough to see a movie that focuses on that. A movie that combines characters from TNG, DS9, and Voyager would appeal to me... as long as it doesn't have anyone remotely resembling Data. I'd even accept Worf if it meant the difference between making and not-making a movie (would be interesting to see him interact with B'Elanna).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 05:58 PM   #35
dub
Captain

I would absolutely love it if the movie was done well. Or as others have said, a mini-series. Put Ronald Moore, Robert H. Wolfe and Ira Behr in charge. Otherwise, forget it. It's a dream that will never come ever true. But yeah, I would love to see it.

On the other hand, I'm very pleased with the way they ended the series. It tied things up nicely, but left enough pieces open-ended to keep it interesting. Time for another re-watch!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 06:38 PM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ultimately, this isn't about what show "deserved" a movie, but about simple practicality. DS9 was a great show, no question, and arguably much better and more involving than either VOYAGER or ENTERPRISE, but movie-making is not a meritocracy. It's about popularity and it was obvious early on that DS9 was not going to be as popular with general audiences as TOS and TNG were, so a DS9 movie was never going to happen. (Ditto for VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE.)

That's no slam on DS9, which deserves all the accolades it gets, but just cold-blooded pragmatism. I'd love to see an "Assignment:Earth" movie, too, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old January 6 2014, 06:53 PM   #37
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

To those who would like an actual DS9 movie (not just a recycling of its elements, as I suggested): what story do you think would hold up cinematically? With the prime threats to Bajor defeated (Dominion and Cardassia), the show should return to a relationship between the station, the planet and its people. The only thing that I can think of is a Bajoran Civil War. It wouldn't be based on creating a new external threat (as most ST movies do). It would get down to the nitty gritty of politics and employ the slow, messy approach to storytelling that characterized the series. Perhaps I'm not seeing something, but I would role my eyes if, suddenly, a new power threatened the planet or some palukoo-seeking probe appeared at the mouth of the wormhole.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:13 PM   #38
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I think the novels have suggested some ideas that might have worked well as a movie. I'm not sure why the Bajorans would have a civil war now, but I guess I'd be open to the possibility if there was a compelling underlying reason.

But again, I can't see a movie that was strictly limited to DS9 elements being especially popular, and as I've already slammed the later TNG movies for not acknowledging the larger Trek universe, I'd be quite the hypocrite if I wasn't willing to say the same for a DS9 movie that did the same.
Old January 6 2014, 07:36 PM   #39
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
I think the novels have suggested some ideas that might have worked well as a movie. I'm not sure why the Bajorans would have a civil war now, but I guess I'd be open to the possibility if there was a compelling underlying reason.

But again, I can't see a movie that was strictly limited to DS9 elements being especially popular, and as I've already slammed the later TNG movies for not acknowledging the larger Trek universe, I'd be quite the hypocrite if I wasn't willing to say the same for a DS9 movie that did the same.
I don't think that a DS9 movie would carry a wide audience as well. My own suggestion of a Civil War would be something that could follow from the death of the Kai as the Federation's major critique (and erstwhile partner) and the probable reorganization of opposition that would likely occur. It's just a speculative suggestion, giving something to discuss, rather than speak in abstract about how a DS9 movie might work.

I'm not sure the novels give much of an indication of a possible path: they tend to use the characters with less regard to the setting. Even fighting in the Alpha Quadrant or Cardassia, the crew's focus was always toward the station and Bajor.
Old January 6 2014, 07:41 PM   #40
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
To those who would like an actual DS9 movie (not just a recycling of its elements, as I suggested): what story do you think would hold up cinematically? With the prime threats to Bajor defeated (Dominion and Cardassia), the show should return to a relationship between the station, the planet and its people. The only thing that I can think of is a Bajoran Civil War. It wouldn't be based on creating a new external threat (as most ST movies do). It would get down to the nitty gritty of politics and employ the slow, messy approach to storytelling that characterized the series. Perhaps I'm not seeing something, but I would role my eyes if, suddenly, a new power threatened the planet or some palukoo-seeking probe appeared at the mouth of the wormhole.
The villains would be the Dominion again the story could be that the Dominion has come back and is planing to invade the alpha quadrant as a result of this Sisco comes back to save the day again.
Xzpezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 08:00 PM   #41
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I hope that's a joke...
Old January 6 2014, 08:05 PM   #42
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
I hope that's a joke...
Only if they traveled back in time and Sisko met the Changeling Queen.
Old January 6 2014, 08:15 PM   #43
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dukat returning, Marc Alaimo would have deserved to play a big screen villain.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 10:19 PM   #44
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

What Greg Cox said, plus the fact that DS9's story was had a beginning and an end, by design. It was a wonderful take on the Star Trek mythos and told its own saga very well, but when it was done, it was done.
Old January 6 2014, 10:34 PM   #45
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

TNG was a great show, but then it was followed up by three subpar and one OK movie.

TOS had what, a dozen good episodes, yet it got five good movies and one awful movie? Not bad.

I'm satisfied DS9 ended on a high note. RDM and Behr would have already moved on by then. Would you trust Berman and Braga to do DS9 justice?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote