RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 458
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 16 2014, 01:37 AM   #136
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: DS9 deserved a movie

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
People were also going back and forth on how TOS was dated and wouldn't work on the big screen, and really in denial of how anything can be updated; it's just about the execution.
The difference is that there was a demand for more Star Trek; the audience for Star Trek grew and grew throughout the 70s. There is, sorry to say, no demand for an all-but-forgotten 90s spinoff of a spinoff of Star Trek.
Old March 16 2014, 04:22 AM   #137
Ensign Ro
Ensign

I really do not see DS9 or even Voyager should get a movie. With DS9, sure they can make one. Just do not see the final cast members from 1999 wanting to get back into character again for a movie to lead to what? It is already bad to read books of Ezri Dax as Captain Ezri Dax in a starship even bigger and more powerful then the one Picard has. Just do not see that at a movie.

Anyway, the old cast members are making more money with their characters being used and their images on the cover of books then they can make with a new movie to show they are much older. True, they can have new cast members for the movies, and that is not going to happen.
Ensign Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 04:32 AM   #138
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
People were also going back and forth on how TOS was dated and wouldn't work on the big screen, and really in denial of how anything can be updated; it's just about the execution.
The difference is that there was a demand for more Star Trek; the audience for Star Trek grew and grew throughout the 70s. There is, sorry to say, no demand for an all-but-forgotten 90s spinoff of a spinoff of Star Trek.
The same thing said about TOS before the Abramsverse hit the screens. (Which I just realized I already said in a previous post. We seem to do a lot of repeating on Trektoday, I see!). Moreover, a lot of 'forgotten' property from the 80s is now being remade or 'reimagined' so I'm sure there is a possibility of having DS9 on the big-screen soon...

Denzel Washington is portraying the 'Equalizer' and not too many people know about that show. However, Washington's name is going to bring the money and the interest. A good script will keep the audience coming back for a second, or third watch.

There were (and still are) people who didn't even know Mission: Impossible was a television show before Tom Cruise made a franchise out of it. And the original television show was back in the 1960s.

If there is money to be made and there is interest, it will happen...despite what is said back and forth on a message board.

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; March 16 2014 at 04:44 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 12:59 AM   #139
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The same thing said about TOS before the Abramsverse hit the screens.
No it wasn't.

Star Trek is a part of pop culture. DS9 isn't. It's as simple as that.

And you're treating Star Trek and DS9 as separate and equivalent. They aren't. DS9 is a spinoff of a spinoff of the source material. Star Trek is that source material.
Old March 17 2014, 03:58 AM   #140
Ensign Ro
Ensign

If they were going to find new cast members for a DS9 movie. I think Kristen Stewart would be great as Kira.
Old March 17 2014, 04:30 AM   #141
dub
Fleet Captain

dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 04:39 AM   #142
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The same thing said about TOS before the Abramsverse hit the screens.
No it wasn't.

Star Trek is a part of pop culture. DS9 isn't. It's as simple as that.

And you're treating Star Trek and DS9 as separate and equivalent. They aren't. DS9 is a spinoff of a spinoff of the source material. Star Trek is that source material.
No, I'm treating DS9 as a property that can make money in movie theaters if the right people are behind it. (The same with obscure video games, comics, etc.).

And you say 'pop culture' as if everyone is aware of what Star Trek is. Even with the Abrams films, there are still people out there who don't know (and don't even care) what Star Trek is. It's still a niche interest.

And, I'm going to be repeating myself (yet again, since people don't really read previous posts) when I say that I know people who thought Mission: Impossible started with the Tom Cruise films...and didn't know it was a series back in the 1960s. I remember reading a comment on Youtube where one person thought the movie series was an adaption of the 1980s series.

Ensign Ro wrote: View Post
If they were going to find new cast members for a DS9 movie. I think Kristen Stewart would be great as Kira.
dub wrote: View Post
lol

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; March 17 2014 at 05:18 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 08:39 AM   #143
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Kira is a strong, multiple-faceted character, not a bitch.
Old March 17 2014, 10:42 AM   #144
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

It is already bad to read books of Ezri Dax as Captain Ezri Dax
She's written wonderfully in the novels! You forget that the Dax character has been around for a looooong time.

in a starship even bigger and more powerful then the one Picard has.
So? Since when has ship size tallied with salary size?

Anyway, the old cast members are making more money with their characters being used and their images on the cover of books then they can make with a new movie to show they are much older.
How much do you think actors make in royalties for their characters' faces being used on a book cover? Since only a few Trek actors even have likeness approval, such a royalty would be nothing like what could be made with a movie contract.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 12:36 PM   #145
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Therin of Andor, is that what Leonard Nimoy's whole argument was about, when he wanted Spock offed in STAR TREK II? That he wanted control over his image? I can't imagine Lenny getting a deal like that, without Shatner wanting A Piece of the Action. Outside of these two, I can't see anyone else really having enough clout to pressure Paramount into doing anything, really ...
2takesfrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 01:19 PM   #146
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Kira would be whinging and bitching at Odo at inappropiate times
Can you imagine Sisko, Kira and Odo in a shuttle on their way to an important mission, and Kira is going on and on about Odo's and her's relationship?

What a horrible scene to have in any Star Trek movie.

For Kira I'd like to see Hattie_Morahan

She does TV, movies and theater and is ridiculously good.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 02:51 PM   #147
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Dax would be stripping off to her undies (because that's what female scientists apparently do)
If I am not mistaken, DS9 gave us the first underwear scene: O'Brien wearing blue boxers in Paradise (so sexy ).
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 03:52 PM   #148
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Can you imagine Sisko, Kira and Odo in a shuttle on their way to an important mission, and Kira is going on and on about Odo's and her's relationship?

What a horrible scene to have in any Star Trek movie.
What a terrible idea to ever put into a Trek film, it would make the characters seem like annoying, whimpering teens instead of mature adults who know to deal with their personal lives at appropriate times.

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
If I am not mistaken, DS9 gave us the first underwear scene: O'Brien wearing blue boxers in Paradise (so sexy ).
Which he did as a tactic when facing off against an armed and dangerous opponent. The scene was set up in a reasonable and sensible way, his choice--though unconventional--shows him to have a sound and diverse tactical mind. He was stripping off just to blatantly be ogled by a perv or get onto the trailers.
Old March 17 2014, 04:06 PM   #149
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Meh. I find it amusing when adults get unprofessional due to relationship entanglements (in movies, not right in front of me). And I appreciate it if the unprofessionalism also leads to some insight into the characters that we might not have received otherwise.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 04:08 PM   #150
Ensign Ro
Ensign

Kira is a strong, multiple-faceted character, not a bitch.
What, Kristen Stewart is a bitch. Strange, I have not seen her facial expression like that before. In fact, her facial expressions are very flat to a point they are none.

What we may be strange, that Kristen Stewart plays the characters of Odo and Kira at the same time.